Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Second Bill of rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Armadillo

Quite a few people think he was one of the worst, actually.
The only people I've ever heard say this are foaming-at-the-mouth neocons and libertarians.[/quote]
And the Jews who resent the whole "knowing about the holocaust and not giving a shit" thing.[/QUOTE]

And all those Japanese-Americans put into internment camps.[/QUOTE]

And Russians who were affected negatively by an emboldened Stalin.

The only people I've ever heard say this are foaming-at-the-mouth neocons and libertarians.[/quote]
And the Jews who resent the whole "knowing about the holocaust and not giving a shit" thing.[/QUOTE]

And Russians who were affected negatively by an emboldened Stalin.[/QUOTE]

I don't really have anything here, I just wanted to get in on the Roosie hate pyramid.

B

BoringMetaphor

I don't really have anything here, I just wanted to get in on the Roosie hate pyramid.[/QUOTE]

yay me too

And the Allies who fought alone against Hitler before December 1941.

And people in wheelchairs for raising the bar so high.

And poor people for ruining their way of life.

this is super fun

A

Armadillo

I don't really have anything here, I just wanted to get in on the Roosie hate pyramid.[/QUOTE]

yay me too

this is super fun[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Presidents who couldn't do the "three letters nickname" thing. Obvious exceptions: JFK, LBJ.

yay me too

this is super fun[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Presidents who couldn't do the "three letters nickname" thing. Obvious exceptions: JFK, LBJ.[/QUOTE]

Or all the Presidents who weren't able to play the handicapped card and coast into office.

And the Jews who resent the whole "knowing about the holocaust and not giving a shit" thing.[/quote]

And all those Japanese-Americans put into internment camps.[/quote]

And Russians who were affected negatively by an emboldened Stalin.[/quote]

I don't really have anything here, I just wanted to get in on the Roosie hate pyramid.[/quote]

yay me too

this is super fun[/quote]

Don't forget about Presidents who couldn't do the "three letters nickname" thing. Obvious exceptions: JFK, LBJ.[/quote]

Or all the Presidents who weren't able to play the handicapped card and coast into office.[/QUOTE]

And all those people who thought there was still a quote pyramid limit.

K

Kitty Sinatra

eh, espy? I don't see anything ridiculous (in the text link, didn't watch the video) there, especially given that this is a speech and a little hyperbole is alway present. What do you find ridiculous?
He's saying you have a right to, among other ridiculous things, a job, clothes, recreation, etc.

Like I said in my post, I think you missed it, these aren't "bad things" but they are hardly things the government should provide for you.[/QUOTE]
But the government does provide for those things. The minimum wage laws are in place so that employers pay what's supposed to amount to a living wage (or close to it) so that one can afford clothes and food. There are also laws regulating the maximum number of hours an employer can make one work, providing that recreation time (if one chooses to have it instead of taking a second job).

The "right to a job" thing, I don't quite get but from the context of the speech - and what came after all the way up till now - it seems like he's just talking about government setting up policies that keep the American economy running.

eh, espy? I don't see anything ridiculous (in the text link, didn't watch the video) there, especially given that this is a speech and a little hyperbole is alway present. What do you find ridiculous?
He's saying you have a right to, among other ridiculous things, a job, clothes, recreation, etc.

Like I said in my post, I think you missed it, these aren't "bad things" but they are hardly things the government should provide for you.[/quote]
But the government does provide for those things. The minimum wage laws are in place so that employers pay what's supposed to amount to a living wage (or close to it) so that one can afford clothes and food. There are also laws regulating the maximum number of hours an employer can make one work, providing that recreation time (if one chooses to have it instead of taking a second job).

The "right to a job" thing, I don't quite get but from the context of the speech - and what came after all the way up till now - it seems like he's just talking about government setting up policies that keep the American economy running.[/QUOTE]

The "right to a job" to me was more about allowing equal opportunity to get a job. Like I said, take it in context to the time period.

There is a clarification to the quote FDR said in the first link about the speech.
“Necessitous men,” says the Lord Chancellor, in Vernon v Bethell, 2 Eden 113 (1762), “are not, truly speaking, free men; but, to answer a present emergency, will submit to any terms that the crafty may impose on them.”
That says a lot about what FDR was looking for.

The devaluing of the dollar by nationalizing gold is a big beef I have FDR. I also don't care for his so-called temporary New Deal programs that are insanely bloated today. And, yes, I am a foaming at the mouth conservative, Chuck.

The devaluing of the dollar by nationalizing gold is a big beef I have FDR. I also don't care for his so-called temporary New Deal programs that are insanely bloated today. And, yes, I am a foaming at the mouth conservative, Chuck.
I'd offer you a tissue to wipe that away, but you'd probably expect me to compete for your business. :)

I

Iaculus

Well, he's been dead since '45. You can't really blame him for what happened to said programs since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.