[TV] FOX's Gotham coming soon.

...Why couldn't we have just gotten a Gotham Central series instead of trying to do a show about a younger Gordon that's just going to feature Bruce and all the main Batman villains?

Oh come on guys. I'm sure it'll be fine, you'll see! All the existential crisis of being batman, but as a teenager! How could it possibly go right wrong?

"I could accept this locker assignment, BUT THAT WON'T BRING MY PARENTS BACK."

"She keeps looking at me. Maybe she likes me. Too bad MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAAD!"

"I see the punk next to me is copying my answers again. Fortunately this neeto gadget whats-his-name at the company happened to show off to me yesterday during the field trip can be used to make him see different answers than what I'm writing. Too bad it doesn't matter BECAUSE MY PARENTS WILL NEVER SEE ME GRADUATE!"

"This skateboard I stole from the company is super cool. SORRY ABOUT BLOWING UP YOUR CAR DUDE. I, LIKE, TOTALLY DIDN'T KNOW IT HAD MISSILES IN IT, YOU KNOW?"

It's better than your parents being dead, though...

Oh come on guys. I'm sure it'll be fine, you'll see! All the existential crisis of being batman, but as a teenager! How could it possibly go right wrong?

"I could accept this locker assignment, BUT THAT WON'T BRING MY PARENTS BACK."

"She keeps looking at me. Maybe she likes me. Too bad MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAAD!"

"I see the punk next to me is copying my answers again. Fortunately this neeto gadget whats-his-name at the company happened to show off to me yesterday during the field trip can be used to make him see different answers than what I'm writing. Too bad it doesn't matter BECAUSE MY PARENTS WILL NEVER SEE ME GRADUATE!"

"This skateboard I stole from the company is super cool. SORRY ABOUT BLOWING UP YOUR CAR DUDE. I, LIKE, TOTALLY DIDN'T KNOW IT HAD MISSILES IN IT, YOU KNOW?"

It's better than your parents being dead, though...
With all due credit to fade for finding the pic...

Okay, I actually read the article.

Man, this is not sounding good. The only I might go along with a teenage Bruce Wayne series is maybe, just maybe, the series idea that Kevin Smith and Paul Dini came up with on Smith's Fat Man on Batman podcast. Even though there are a few points where it goes a bit too far, their idea wasn't that bad.

I looked at the comments.... One guy nailed my thoughts:

Yeah, that's what I want to see, a 12 year old Batman. Cause everyone knows pre-teen Darth Vader was the best part of Episode 1.

Look, if you need a good batman tv show why not air re-runs of the Adam West Batman? It's perfect.

My only thought on this? The last time they tried to do a teenage Batman show, we got Batman Beyond... and it was popular enough to become part of the DCU, with several comic series and a movie that were all excellent. I'm willing to give this a shot but I'm prepared to bail if it's crap.

I remember reading, I think it was during the casting of Superman Returns, that DC doesn't like their tv/movie franchises over-lapping. I don't mean crossovers, I mean multiple incarnations of the same character at the same time/age. I think it was in response to why they didn't cast Tom Welling as big screen Superman (aside from the fact that he's really not a strong actor). By making a 12-year-old Bruce Wayne, the show can run at the same time at the new "Bat of Steel" crossover/JLA/whatever movies their making without people comparing two versions of the same age/incarnation of Batman. I guess it also gives more wiggle room for continuity, but continuity has never been comic's strong point anyway.

Kind of the opposite problem of Marvel, who recasts major characters on a dime while trying to bring the movies all into one universe. Seriously, if they ever get their rights back from Fox, I really want to see them have Captain America and the Human Torch in at least one scene together. :) And yes, I know there are stirring that they're recasting/rebooting the FF with new actors, but c'mon!

My only thought on this? The last time they tried to do a teenage Batman show, we got Batman Beyond... and it was popular enough to become part of the DCU, with several comic series and a movie that were all excellent. I'm willing to give this a shot but I'm prepared to bail if it's crap.
Except that in the case of Batman beyond, it was always conceived as an original idea that no one had done before. Teenaged Terry McGinnis was not and never will be the same as Bruce Wayne, he had no story until Batman Beyond came out. Batman's origins have been explored repeatedly in the comics and more recently in the movies. The difference between BB and G is one was treading new territory, the other is rehashing what has been done before and done much better. The idea that we are going to get "origins" of the Bat Rogues gallery is all ready showing the show designers ignorance of the characters. Most if not all of Batman's villains appeared after he started hunting criminals and in some cases in direct response to Batman. The idea that any of these guys would appear 8 to 10 years before there even is a Batman is ridiculous.

Except that in the case of Batman beyond, it was always conceived as an original idea that no one had done before. Teenaged Terry McGinnis was not and never will be the same as Bruce Wayne, he had no story until Batman Beyond came out. Batman's origins have been explored repeatedly in the comics and more recently in the movies. The difference between BB and G is one was treading new territory, the other is rehashing what has been done before and done much better. The idea that we are going to get "origins" of the Bat Rogues gallery is all ready showing the show designers ignorance of the characters. Most if not all of Batman's villains appeared after he started hunting criminals and in some cases in direct response to Batman. The idea that any of these guys would appear 8 to 10 years before there even is a Batman is ridiculous.
Actually, before Batman Beyond had the "beyond" bit, it was going to be high school Bruce Wayne doing stuff in modern Gotham. We basically have Bruce Timm and co. to thank for it becoming what it was.

Actually, before Batman Beyond had the "beyond" bit, it was going to be high school Bruce Wayne doing stuff in modern Gotham. We basically have Bruce Timm and co. to thank for it becoming what it was.
And thank god they knew to trash that shitty idea and make something good.

And a swing and a miss for DC(what a surprise). I thought he was going to be like 18, but freaking 12? Of course thats not nearly as weird as a young Joker. Is he going to be like the Tim Burton Jack Napier, or the comic Jack Napier, or are we going to have a twelve year old clown themed serial killer. By the source don't let it be the latter.

ALSO- "The final episode of the series will be Bruce Wayne putting on the cape." Wow...how original. Its not like DC did that with another show based on a famous super hero.

And a swing and a miss for DC(what a surprise). I thought he was going to be like 18, but freaking 12? Of course thats not nearly as weird as a young Joker. Is he going to be like the Tim Burton Jack Napier, or the comic Jack Napier, or are we going to have a twelve year old clown themed serial killer. By the source don't let it be the latter.

ALSO- "The final episode of the series will be Bruce Wayne putting on the cape." Wow...how original. Its not like DC did that with another show based on a famous super hero.
I always thought that the Joker was older than Bruce... by at least 5-10 years, if not more. Or maybe it's just the bleached skin that makes it look that way?

I always thought that the Joker was older than Bruce... by at least 5-10 years, if not more. Or maybe it's just the bleached skin that makes it look that way?
Tim Burton version yes, comics not sure as they don't really say when in Batman's career accidentally ACEd him. I just really hope its Jack Napier and not the Joker, like maybe certain prologues would be just of him bombing at a comedy club or something.

I would watch the shit out of a show about Alfred's life before the Waynes. Maybe framed as Alfred telling little Bruce stories.

I hope the furthest this show gets is the new Wonder Woman show: a horrendous pilot that we can all laugh at for years, but the show itself is never picked up.

See also: the horrendous Justice League live-action movie in the 90s.

figmentPez

Staff member
I told my friend Kris that if 12 year-old Bruce Wayne is written as much of a Mary Sue as the worst versions of Batman are, then he's going to end up like an emo Wesley Crusher. He responded "Oh, then he'll be Damian Wayne, then?"

I told my friend Kris that if 12 year-old Bruce Wayne is written as much of a Mary Sue as the worst versions of Batman are, then he's going to end up like an emo Wesley Crusher. He responded "Oh, then he'll be Damian Wayne, then?"
Except Damian was actually well-liked and popular among most of the audience. Wes Crusher was most assuredly...not.