Forum loading very slowly starting around 6/2/23 or so

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not me this time, and I've noticed it too. I'm having a hell of a time tracking it down, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's a SQL issue. Every aspect of the site that doesn't require SQL database access is quick and snappy (CPanel/WHM for example) but the forum itself will have fits and spurts of working well then working shitty.

My knowledge of MySQL is extremely rudimentary. I'm having absolutely no luck figuring out what the problem is.

GasBandit

Staff member
Finally found how to do a DB repair. I don't know if that will do anything, just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. If I notice it being slow still I'll keep flailing around trying to find a button that does something.

I swear to god I feel like Mr. Fantastic in here sometimes.

1685900965647.png

1685901068188.png

1685901134750.png

GasBandit

Staff member
Well the bad news is that doesn't seem to have fixed it. But the slightly less bad news is, now that I know where to look, I can definitely confirm that the slowness coincides with a massive CPU spike usage in... oh shit, either it's MySQL or PHP, I should have been looking closer.

Ah hell, still fiddling

GasBandit

Staff member
Some guy was saying his php-fpm spikes turned out to be rogue traffic, but we've been getting pretty consistent amount of traffic more at least the last month, so that's not it.

It does seem to be happening less, though. Maybe it is just aftershocks of the database repair?

GasBandit

Staff member
Let's hope the module hasn't been corrupted/coopted/infected.

--Patrick
I don't think it has. That vulnerability relies on a port being open to something besides localhost, which would deviate from the default. The only non-default settings we have in our php-fpm seems to be actually special additions disabling most of the commands that would be affected by that vulnerability anyway.

I don't run a server nor do I regularly deal in any flavor of SQL (or even *nix, for that matter), but these kinds of things always get my bloodhound tendencies running and looking for horses and zebras.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Soooo I don't know if I actually fixed it, or if it just got better on its own, or if it just seems like it's better to me and other people are still having problems, or what... but... I think it's fixed?

Surely we won't have this problem again right.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have twice now gotten hangs that ended in a blank page with “could not establish a secure connection to the server” and “The server stopped responding.”

—Patrick
Well to be fair, that's a completely different problem.

GasBandit

Staff member
I tried to edit my above post in order to change it to "multiple times" but two consecutive attempts to edit the post would just stall and time out.

--Patrick
Hmm, I have limited time and ability to test and troubleshoot this morning, but just reading around the threads and replying, I haven't experienced that... makes me think it might not be on the server end.

The majority of my current (i.e., since Sun eve) issues have been almost exclusively on mobile, so that may be part of it as well.
Desktop access seems to be no problem, just mobile. But the mobile interface has also had so many other issues with formatting, with the text editor, with plug-ins, etc. so I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I think I’d have to update to a new version but that has its own set of issues with our addons.

If the site is on a server with other sites, it could be some other site on the farm is getting DDOSed. This is common on sites like say, GoDaddy, where there might be hundreds and hundreds of sites on one server. If the traffic isn't coming directly to you, you'd never know the server is under load unless you work at the ISP.