[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

ETA: I appreciate it, Den, but this isn't really a hug-worthy post. I stepped in it, I have to deal with the blowback.
The hug was because I somewhat understand and share that feeling, I think. Would've been a brofist if it wasn't about a bad circumstance. I don't think any of us are their best selves at all times.

Some days I just can't seem to get out of my own way. This looks to have been one of those days. I'm going to bed.

ETA: I appreciate it, Den, but this isn't really a hug-worthy post. I stepped in it, I have to deal with the blowback.
Mine is just because I like to hug you. :D

Ugh. Why did "new" reddit have to deliberately make themselves look more like Facebook?

--Patrick
Probably because somewhere someone determined that the Facebook model was what brought in the most revenue. I have no idea if that's actually true, and I have no idea if they took into account users possibly leaving, but I'm sure that's what led to the decision.

Yeah, they bought up a bunch of the websites I follow. All of 'em said, "And it won't change what we do!" yeah right.

--Patrick
The reddit resign finally came for me this morning. I immediately went to preferences and turned that sucker off. It broke a whole lot of stuff. Like spoilers, /r/anime comment faces, and most of RES.

I got the redesign on my work machine, but the old reddit on my home machine. Go figure.

I don't mind the redesign that much..just a slightly different UI to get used to.
But I'm turning it off until RES works on it.

The redesign won’t even fit on my laptop screen. The frames are set so wide or whatever that some of it gets cut off, and it’s non-scrollable, so I can’t even scooch it over to get the rest.

—Patrick

I used to be able to walk really far. I walked a half marathon event once!

So, it’s super frustrating that I’m sitting on a bag of frozen fruit and had to medicate after walking a much, much shorter distance in a similar time today to catch Pokémon with my kids :(

I’m also annoyed/angry/I’m not exactly sure what with my self for grossly overestimating my walking abilities today. I should have had my cane with me and worn better shoes among other things. I just didn’t think of it because we weren’t planning on walking that far.

The good news is that the kids had a blast!

I interviewed and hired a new editor a little while back. He's been working here for about a week now. During this week, it's become increasingly clear he doesn't have the chops to do the job.

There's still a small chance he'll undergo some miraculous improvement and suddenly become competent enough to do the work, but as things stand, we're probably going to need to let him go after the probationary period is over. Which means we need to keep looking for editors.

Man, any of you guys want to work as a translation editor?

I interviewed and hired a new editor a little while back. He's been working here for about a week now. During this week, it's become increasingly clear he doesn't have the chops to do the job.

There's still a small chance he'll undergo some miraculous improvement and suddenly become competent enough to do the work, but as things stand, we're probably going to need to let him go after the probationary period is over. Which means we need to keep looking for editors.

Man, any of you guys want to work as a translation editor?
Yeah I can do that. Being able to use Google Translate is the only qualification I need right?

If your language combination was English and French, I might be interested, depending on the money, the benefits and how attached you all are to having someone actually on-site...

B

BErt

I’m not going bald, but I have a bald spot. It just randomly appeared the other day. This has happened to me before years ago. I never found the cause and the hair eventually grew back. Im not particularly worried about it but it’s still weird.
7B0DCAC0-A9C4-4E8E-B8F7-862C55A6E21A.jpeg

B

BErt

possible i guess but doubtful. I assume i would have realized it happened since my hair is really short? I guess maybe it could be rug burn from tossing and turning after falling asleep on the floor? :confused:

I’m not going bald, but I have a bald spot. It just randomly appeared the other day. This has happened to me before years ago. I never found the cause and the hair eventually grew back. Im not particularly worried about it but it’s still weird.
View attachment 26883
It could be a form of alopecia areata. It's an auto immune disorder that causes patches of hair loss, usually triggered from stress.

If it’s only in one spot, it’s more likely traction than autoimmune.

I have had serious issues with traction hair loss. My meds are causing my hair to be brittle which only make it worse :(

GasBandit

Staff member
Dammit, YouTube may be getting rid of chronological subscription feeds.
Why does Google continue to get rid of useful features and services? Do they WANT their brand to be less useful and invite direct competition?

Edit to expand - When Google discontinued Google Reader, I got Feedly. When Google continually made youtube worse, I started using twitch instead, and other people started using patreon as their business plan instead of google ad revenue, which more or less directly removed money from google's pocket because once creators are getting patreon money they no longer care about making themselves "suitable for most advertisers." They just keep doing dumb things that seem to only hurt them in the long run.

Last edited:
Why does Google continue to get rid of useful features and services? Do they WANT their brand to be less useful and invite direct competition?
The fundamental problem with Google is that it doesn't know what it's product is. That's because it's trying to sell like 50 of them at once and none of them interconnect on any meaningful level.