Flash on uploading

Right now the default for "upload a file" (on desktop at least) appears to be a flash plugin, and it hangs or crashes for no perceivable reason right now. Causes some browser hiccups in firefox semi-frequently.

Any push on the Xenforo side to eliminate it? Or can you eliminate it yourself, but retain upload functionality? You can upload on mobile flash-less, so the same here would be great.

The non-flash uploader works and is easy to enable, though I'm not sure what difference there is in the functionality.
flash uploader disable.jpg

Flash is finally going to be deprecated in three years' time, so perhaps it's time Xenforo put its own uploader together anyway.
I assume they'll do something Java-based, but the way browser plug-ins are going there's no guarantee that'll stick around, either.

--Patrick

Flash is finally going to be deprecated in three years' time, so perhaps it's time Xenforo put its own uploader together anyway.
I assume they'll do something Java-based, but the way browser plug-ins are going there's no guarantee that'll stick around, either.
No to Java IMO, but yes to Javascript, like most of the web is going to today. I see little/no reason why that wouldn't work.

Java plugin is outright not supported on Chrome, which is the majority browser, so there's no way they'd do that.

No to Java IMO, but yes to Javascript, like most of the web is going to today.
Yeah! Make the client do all the work! Buncha freeloaders!
I didn't know Java wasn't supported in Chrome, but then I'm surprised Google hasn't developed their own Java replacement by now (I mean sure there's Android, but).

--Patrick