[Writing] First Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: It is officially out now. Check it in paperback on Amazon, or for download through Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

I've mentioned this a little here and there on the forums, and a bunch on my website, but since the release will be soon, it's time to show it here:

Logline: A troubled orphan gets transferred to a nightmarish valley after one more fight than her orphanage benefactors can handle. Her caretakers always told her that monsters don't exist. They were wrong.

Novel will be on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and some other places within the next couple weeks. It's pretty much ready to go; I just have to tell it to disperse among the internet and off it will go. The paperback is set a little over 400 pages; I have a feeling the digital will sell more. That seems to be the way of things these days. In any case, I've been working on it for some time and I'm as excited as I am nervous. I'll announce the actual release soon--hopefully some will give this urban fantasy/horror story a shot.

Quotemaster: Way to go. Congratulations.

Nick: Way to derail a thread. You should be ashamed.

The proper response is:

Did the First thread teach you nothing? ;)

I've mentioned this a little here and there on the forums, and a bunch on my website, but since the release will be soon, it's time to show it here:

Logline: A troubled orphan gets transferred to a nightmarish valley after one more fight than her orphanage benefactors can handle. Her caretakers always told her that monsters don't exist. They were wrong.

Novel will be on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and some other places within the next couple weeks. It's pretty much ready to go; I just have to tell it to disperse among the internet and off it will go. The paperback is set a little over 400 pages; I have a feeling the digital will sell more. That seems to be the way of things these days. In any case, I've been working on it for some time and I'm as excited as I am nervous. I'll announce the actual release soon--hopefully some will give this urban fantasy/horror story a shot.
FFS I just ordered a whole bunch of books with my new and improved American mule.

It brightened my day seeing all those alerts. Thanks for the support, people :).

Man I like dat cover art. And the premise intrigues me!
Julie came up with the design, though we hired a friend to do the art itself.

FFS I just ordered a whole bunch of books with my new and improved American mule.
New? Maybe. Improved? No. If you hadn't noticed, we Americans are all equal.

We can actually start doing that again now that we have money and I'm no longer working weekends.

Honestly though... it's cool as fuck that you'rte getting a book out... heck... it's been what... 2-3 of you who did.

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US NOW ONCE YOU HIT THE BIG TIME LIKE THAT OTHER DUDE.

I think he disagreed in principle with the bannination, and so left for unfettered pastures. I believe he alluded to this in previous forum drama threads, although I may be misremembering.

I think he disagreed in principle with the bannination, and so left for unfettered pastures. I believe he alluded to this in previous forum drama threads, although I may be misremembering.
That's not the impression I got from that. Of course, if that is the reason, he wasn't the only one to vanish in the aftermath. :/

I believe he deleted his account because he mentioned his book here and something something with publisher was major no no.

I believe he deleted his account because he mentioned his book here and something something with publisher was major no no.
I think you're mixing it up with when Nick's publisher didn't want him mentioning his book yet, so Dave got rid of that thread.

Dave

Staff member
Just went to buy it on Amazon but no dice. You don't exist. I did buy my friend, Mark's, book though.

While I've been out of commission at home, a big box of books arrived!

Two are reserved, but I'll be taking a stack (along with fairy tale books) to the OHF thing ... might need to put them in someone's trunk since I don't know if I can be lugging a suitcase full of books through the DC metro system. But anyway. Books! Books are good.

Some of the craziness of the last few months has died down (though I see more on the horizon), and for the moment I have some time to work on promoting the book. It's gotten sales, but not a huge amount, likely because I've not been doing anything to tell anyone about it.

So, I'm considering asking people to do reviews; I'd give a free digital copy and they'd write a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads, or anywhere else they feel like it. I might even ask around here. Only thing is, I know a couple people (like steinman) already bought the book, so I don't know how to weigh that aside from offering him and anyone else who already paid for it a free ebook of a future novel. Not sure where else to go with asking for this kind of thing though.

I appreciate the thought, but I don't need to be reimbursed. I haven't left a review because I haven't finished the book. I read a good chunk of it when it came out, but it didn't grab me and glue me to the pages, and unfortunately I've got too many demands on my time so that if a book isn't wildly compelling I'm not going to finish it.

Better to be a good book and not be compelling than the reverse though. I recently read a book that I couldn't put down, but was so bad I had to leave a review. I actually felt better once I got there because I apparently wasn't the only one who though it was poorly written.

Status
Not open for further replies.