Fantastic Beasts and Magic in North America (POTTER MEGA THREAD!)

BananaHands

Staff member
My opinion of the movie was that it almost seemed like two movies haphazardly lashed together. The first movie is about Newt recapturing his beasts and making friends with the nomaj. The other was everything going on with Colin Ferrell's character.

Overall I think I would have liked it much more without the B storyline of Colin Ferrell's character dicking around with a prophecy that we never get to see really play out.
Same. I felt like I watched a movie based on a book I never read.

Platypus thing made the entire movie worth it, followed closely by the no-mag.[DOUBLEPOST=1480395805,1480395686][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a few issues with this movie, one of which is a minor nitpick and the other is eye-rollingly cringey.

1. The switching of the identical suitcases. Jesus christ this stupid cliche is in like 10% of all movies. You see the main guy's suitcase and then when the other guy comes in you go, "Yup. They are going to be switched. Couldn't see THAT twist coming!"
  2. New York City is a big fucking place. Yet everything happens in a small 3 or 4 block radius. The hero just happens to be walking in the same place as the fiery anti-witch WBC cult church thing and with all of those people there he just happens to get singled out. Sometimes when I'm shopping with my wife we can't find each other and that's just in one fucking store! Too many "just roll with it" coincidences.
  3. Is this a movie for kids or is this movie for adults? Because it never really makes up its mind. At one point there's bloody murder happening - and I guess Jon Voight's character just forgets how his son dies? - while on the other you have cutesy little critters like the thieving platypus and the stupid little twig thing that just screams "we put this in here for the kids."
  4. And why do Americans call them No-mag's? For one, that's a stupid fucking name and also they'd have probably still called them muggles as it's where we'd have gotten the name to begin with. Americans have changed slang terms for things, but never the actual names of the things. I know they just wanted to show the differences between ours and Harry Potter's world, but come on.
  5. The big bad guy changing his appearance at the end - he'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids! First, it's very Scooby Doo. Second, really? Does Johnny fucking Depp have to be in everything? I'm so sick of that guy. Third, in the wizarding world, this would be a known tactic. It's something that they'd guard against day and night - like a metal detector in our world. Otherwise, bad guys would be impersonating people all the time. Yet he gets away with it for years. Until the hero - who's seen him maybe a handful of times - figures it out. Come on, man.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, but I thought it could have been much better.
I agree with 2 and 5 very deeply but COME ON THE PLATYPUS AND TWIG THINGS WERE GREAT.

I have a few issues with this movie, one of which is a minor nitpick and the other is eye-rollingly cringey.

1. The switching of the identical suitcases. Jesus christ this stupid cliche is in like 10% of all movies. You see the main guy's suitcase and then when the other guy comes in you go, "Yup. They are going to be switched. Couldn't see THAT twist coming!"
  2. New York City is a big fucking place. Yet everything happens in a small 3 or 4 block radius. The hero just happens to be walking in the same place as the fiery anti-witch WBC cult church thing and with all of those people there he just happens to get singled out. Sometimes when I'm shopping with my wife we can't find each other and that's just in one fucking store! Too many "just roll with it" coincidences.
  3. Is this a movie for kids or is this movie for adults? Because it never really makes up its mind. At one point there's bloody murder happening - and I guess Jon Voight's character just forgets how his son dies? - while on the other you have cutesy little critters like the thieving platypus and the stupid little twig thing that just screams "we put this in here for the kids."
  4. And why do Americans call them No-mag's? For one, that's a stupid fucking name and also they'd have probably still called them muggles as it's where we'd have gotten the name to begin with. Americans have changed slang terms for things, but never the actual names of the things. I know they just wanted to show the differences between ours and Harry Potter's world, but come on.
  5. The big bad guy changing his appearance at the end - he'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids! First, it's very Scooby Doo. Second, really? Does Johnny fucking Depp have to be in everything? I'm so sick of that guy. Third, in the wizarding world, this would be a known tactic. It's something that they'd guard against day and night - like a metal detector in our world. Otherwise, bad guys would be impersonating people all the time. Yet he gets away with it for years. Until the hero - who's seen him maybe a handful of times - figures it out. Come on, man.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, but I thought it could have been much better.
I'd say you hit every problem that I had with the movie. I wish I would have seen Hacksaw Ridge instead. It was our second outing to the movies in 2016 and it was wasted on a silly movie.

Jude Law has been cast as "young Dumbledore". I can see that choice. More fitting than Depp as Grindelwald, certainly.
Ehh... we know basically nothing about Grindelwald as character except what few things were mentioned on Pottermore and his 5 seconds in the last book. The only reason Johnny Depp is getting the hate for this role is that he's EVERYWHERE and sor tof being cast against type.