Fantastic Beasts and Magic in North America (POTTER MEGA THREAD!)

I love the characters and setting but I dislike the plot device.

But that is a me thing and not at all limited to the Harry Potter universe.

TIL, Harry Potter was over 40 when he found out about Hogwarts.

Voldy's 1st coming was the Thatcher Years, not WW2 (that was Dumbledore's "happy friend").
I don't follow your first statement, "Harry" won't turn 40 until 2020, his birth was in 1980.

I don't follow your first statement, "Harry" won't turn 40 until 2020, his birth was in 1980.
He replied to me, misstating Voldey's first appearance as being WWII. Since Voldey's first appearance stopped when Harry was born, that'd mean Harry was born in 1945. Which isn't right. WWII is, indeed, Grindelwald vs Dumbledore. Doesn't matter much for the rest of my point, but he was right.

Doesn't matter much for the rest of my point, but he was right.
It does matter in that Voldy is a way bigger part of the books then Grindy, so, if it had been him, it would have been a bigger deal by default.

But, yeah, your point stands (and i actually made it myself a while back too).

Really? I never noticed. I was hoping we'd get a Quidditch movie next.
Yeah, wife and I were questioning going for a trilogy without announcing much else and based on a rather small book. But, they did get JK to write for it (and at least the next one too) and what I've seen I've been impressed.

I don't see why they wouldn't announce more. It's going to be a hit; I wouldn't bet against that.
I can understand not announcing more, not spoiling the first movie, guessing that only a basic outline is currently written for parts 2 and 3. I'm looking forward to the movies.

On a side note, just got to the middle of Cursed Child, interesting read.

Pottermore just released a patronus quiz. It's very well done visually, using simple but effective 3D, and it looks like it's browser 3D, not pre-rendered.

Either way, apparently my patronus is a weasel.

@Emrys might be amused.

I have a "West Highland Terrier" which is VERY specific and makes me think Rowling is a fan of the breed. I'm not amused; my aunt used to have a pair of them that would terrorize me as a kid (and bit me several times), so it makes NO sense that I'd have them as a patronus.

I have a "West Highland Terrier" which is VERY specific and makes me think Rowling is a fan of the breed. I'm not amused; my aunt used to have a pair of them that would terrorize me as a kid (and bit me several times), so it makes NO sense that I'd have them as a patronus.
Well since Patroni(?) are basically magic security blankets, maybe it's just that the presence of the little monster just makes everything else seem harmless to you.

Just watched the movie. I really enjoyed it as an action movie, and the characters were great. I have to admit on further consideration, though, that the movie isn't all that memorable. I think it wasn't written very well.

There were three primary concerns for the characters early on, but the concerns just weren't clicking, it wasn't like it really mattered, and when the people trying to resolve concern 1 crossed paths with the people resolving concerns 2 and 3 it was just coincidence, in a way.

So there just wasn't much emotional buy-in for this movie. Perhaps there are too many concerns to address in the time allotted, and it might have been better if they dropped something.

There is a scene which should have and could have been much more emotionally wrenching, but wasn't. The big bad guy just isn't very menacing. Lots of minor issues.

Then you get to the fact that we're exploring the wizarding world in a new continent and it's lackluster. It's not so much that there's very little information about this wizarding world, it's that the movie doesn't make you want to know anything about it. There's nothing in the movie that makes me want to see the next one - and while blatant "Watch for the sequel!" endings can be annoying, I'd have appreciated it if a few questions were raised that I wanted to learn more about.

There was only one plot hole that was pretty blatant, and it wouldn't have mattered except it formed the foundation for the second concern. However, this foundation also provides a convincing foundation for why Dumbledore's sister had a problem, and we could be leading into a storyline involving the big bad person and dumbledore.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and visually it's spectacular. I'll probably watch it again, and perhaps we'll add it to our HP collection, but I won't be sad if we decide not to.

Looks like it's on schedule to pull 90 million opening weekend, and the critics seem to like it, so I expect it'll do well enough, and the HP franchise will continue on.

Pretty sure Harry was being punished for way too many things to be able to single out magic as the main reason why he was being abused. Not to mention that, as i recall, the moments he did magic where always an escape for him, and he took the punishment better.

Plus, considering muggle-born, it's likely that not knowing about magic means you have no idea there's something to suppress.

Pretty sure Harry was being punished for way too many things to be able to single out magic as the main reason why he was being abused. Not to mention that, as i recall, the moments he did magic where always an escape for him, and he took the punishment better.

Plus, considering muggle-born, it's likely that not knowing about magic means you have no idea there's something to suppress.
I would argue that it's much harder to out and out abuse your children in the way you could even 30 years ago. If Harry showed up to school with a black eye and bruises from getting beat by the Dursleys, someone would do something about it, if only because they were legally required to. Fuck, his squib neighbor would have written to Dumbledore and he'd have made sure SOMETHING was done about it. The Dursleys may have been horrible people, but it's also clear that they didn't actually endanger Harry's life, even if they treated him like a burden.

That wouldn't happen in the 20's.

Dave

Staff member
I have a few issues with this movie, one of which is a minor nitpick and the other is eye-rollingly cringey.

1. The switching of the identical suitcases. Jesus christ this stupid cliche is in like 10% of all movies. You see the main guy's suitcase and then when the other guy comes in you go, "Yup. They are going to be switched. Couldn't see THAT twist coming!"
  2. New York City is a big fucking place. Yet everything happens in a small 3 or 4 block radius. The hero just happens to be walking in the same place as the fiery anti-witch WBC cult church thing and with all of those people there he just happens to get singled out. Sometimes when I'm shopping with my wife we can't find each other and that's just in one fucking store! Too many "just roll with it" coincidences.
  3. Is this a movie for kids or is this movie for adults? Because it never really makes up its mind. At one point there's bloody murder happening - and I guess Jon Voight's character just forgets how his son dies? - while on the other you have cutesy little critters like the thieving platypus and the stupid little twig thing that just screams "we put this in here for the kids."
  4. And why do Americans call them No-mag's? For one, that's a stupid fucking name and also they'd have probably still called them muggles as it's where we'd have gotten the name to begin with. Americans have changed slang terms for things, but never the actual names of the things. I know they just wanted to show the differences between ours and Harry Potter's world, but come on.
  5. The big bad guy changing his appearance at the end - he'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids! First, it's very Scooby Doo. Second, really? Does Johnny fucking Depp have to be in everything? I'm so sick of that guy. Third, in the wizarding world, this would be a known tactic. It's something that they'd guard against day and night - like a metal detector in our world. Otherwise, bad guys would be impersonating people all the time. Yet he gets away with it for years. Until the hero - who's seen him maybe a handful of times - figures it out. Come on, man.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, but I thought it could have been much better.

I enjoyed it. I had iced tea, skittles and popcorn, my daughter had extra butter on her popcorn .

I loved the protagonists and the fantastic beasts.

Stupid macusa laws can't stop true love !

Last edited:
I have a few issues with this movie, one of which is a minor nitpick and the other is eye-rollingly cringey.

1. The big bad guy changing his appearance at the end - he'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids! First, it's very Scooby Doo. Second, really? Does Johnny fucking Depp have to be in everything? I'm so sick of that guy. Third, in the wizarding world, this would be a known tactic. It's something that they'd guard against day and night - like a metal detector in our world. Otherwise, bad guys would be impersonating people all the time. Yet he gets away with it for years. Until the hero - who's seen him maybe a handful of times - figures it out. Come on, man.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, but I thought it could have been much better.

Concerning your last point... you must have hated the Goblet of Fire then.

And that guy wasn't even one of the most powerful wizards of his time.

My opinion of the movie was that it almost seemed like two movies haphazardly lashed together. The first movie is about Newt recapturing his beasts and making friends with the nomaj. The other was everything going on with Colin Ferrell's character.

Overall I think I would have liked it much more without the B storyline of Colin Ferrell's character dicking around with a prophecy that we never get to see really play out.