Fallout 4 - Power Armors for EVERYONE!

It's funny. Steam says I played it for 369 hours.

200 of those hours were me leaving it on and leaving the house.

At least 100 of those were me actually playing, but losing interest and alt tabbing.

Reeeeally hoping my wife's infatuation with Fallout 4 ends by the time Dark Souls 3 comes out. How she's still playing that game near-nightly is beyond me. I should see how many hours she's put in by now.
Despite being a terrible Fallout game, I really enjoyed making builds in FO4. My gives no shits max luck gunslinger was my favorite.

But ultimately, it made me start playing Skyrim again.

Reactions: Jay
It's funny. Steam says I played it for 369 hours.

200 of those hours were me leaving it on and leaving the house.

At least 100 of those were me actually playing, but losing interest and alt tabbing.
Wow, it really put you off. Well I know she's been sitting and playing, dedicated, whatever her current total is.

Despite being a terrible Fallout game, I really enjoyed making builds in FO4. My gives no shits max luck gunslinger was my favorite.

But ultimately, it made me start playing Skyrim again.
^I also felt like Skyrim, but didn't.

Also had the total luck character, which was fun. The max strength build is fun, too. That said, eventually I got sick of just killing things in this wasteland. I had fun and I can see others having fun, but my wife now feels obligated to build the best settlements, rescue anyone kidnapped, etc., like these dumb NPCs are her babies.

What I really don't get is that she stopped playing New Vegas for this. Granted, New Vegas's infamous bugginess ended up making progress impossible for the final DLC, and that put her off from doing the end of the main quest, but still. I'm just amazed this one's held her interest for so long after all the time she's put into Oblivion, Skyrim, and New Vegas.

Well, last night was hilarious ... sort of. Also feel bad for my wife.

She had a couple hours to play and she intended to get on with the main quest, the next step involving a fast travel to a certain location and then talking to someone.

She fast traveled there three times, and each time she got interrupted by a Minutemen quest popping up the moment the new area loaded. SO she had to travel back to help this settlement or rescue someone yet again for Abernathy Farm. And while out, she'd receive more. All the while getting more and more aggravated. While busy sorting out one kidnapping, she failed a quest to assist the Castle. She went over there and most of her stuff was trashed--she was pissed and thus began the anti-babysitting rant. I kind of wish I could've recorded it.

ANYWAY, at the next kidnapping she said "Fuck it, I just have to talk to someone, it'll take two minutes." So she fast-traveled, talked to the person, and left their home.

Immediately four Quest Failed things flashed over the screen for the Minutemen.

"I don't care. I DON'T FUCKING CARE ANYMORE. THEY CAN ALL FUCKING DIE! I JUST WANNA SAVE MY SON!"

So in two hours, she got two minutes done of what she wanted to do, and the rest was all Minutemen interruptions. I'm so glad I went with the Brotherhood. In any case, I think she's done with Minutemen stuff; it's just stopping the game from being fun for her. It's really stupid that no matter how much defense you post up, the settlement gets trashed if you're not there to save the day.

Dave

Staff member
Yup. My next playthrough is Institute. (I "finished" BoS a couple days ago.) When Garvey asks me if I want to join the brotherhood I'm going to say no.

Wife finished it tonight. She went with the Railroad at the end (like it matters).

I know I was laughing earlier, but I felt bad for her tonight. She'd been into this game like crazy before, but by the end of it tonight she was so disappointed. Every criticism she had for it that she'd been overlooking just came to light when she realized this was it, even if she'd joined another faction. "There's no point in playing again," she said, and I had nothing to dissuade her by.

She's probably going back to New Vegas in a day or so.

This guy has a great point IMO:

Basically saying that a lot of perks in Fallout 4 (and Skyrim) have the "take this or you suck" component to them. Skyrim less so, but still somewhat in that you had to take the "swords do 20/40/60/80/100% more dmg" to just "keep up" but at least there were skills there. But in FO4, it's more "when you level, enemies get more powerful, but you don't, you MUST take these many many perks or you suck."

I agree with him. In Skyrim I went so far as to just give myself the perks for "more damage" through the console, because it didn't seem right I just didn't get better via more skill. He makes a good point about the similar perks in FO4. I think in the video he over-emphasizes the "game breaking/changing" aspect that perks have had in other games, but either way, if there's a leveling system (but no skill system), it should be the main point of how powerful you are, and not need another aspect on top of it.

IMO Oblivion got this mostly right. Higher skills, more "interesting" abilities attached to those skills. The part I disagreed with in that game was that magic was strictly locked out if you were below the "apprentice/novice/expert/master" threshold, unlike Morrowind (and later Skyrim) where they were just harder and/or more expensive, but not forbidden. But again, I agree that FO4 has that aspect wrong.

The problem is that to fix it, you'd need to scale back the level system DRASTICALLY because there's just so MANY perks, that having a surplus that large from not needing the "growth" ones that you'd be superpowered. The obvious answer (to me) for FO4 is back to a more FO3-like system for levels where there's much fewer levels (was it 25 or 30 was the max for that game, with expansions?) and perks available. But that'd be quite an overhaul!

I don't really agree. Fallout 4 is a little more difficult than the others, but neither of these games is all that challenging. I'm not saying that to sound like a real Dovakin, but there's enough versatility in skills for you not to bother. I don't take those damage boosters. Getting better equipment is way more fun AND you get to pick the other kinds of skills.

I don't really agree. Fallout 4 is a little more difficult than the others, but neither of these games is all that challenging. I'm not saying that to sound like a real Dovakin, but there's enough versatility in skills for you not to bother. I don't take those damage boosters. Getting better equipment is way more fun AND you get to pick the other kinds of skills.
The points he makes are true if you are playing on the hardest difficulty, but anything below that it doesn't really matter. I've played many (MANY) a skyrim character that took no combat perks at all, and still did just fine, and was playing on whatever is right under the most difficult setting.

The main problem with Fallout 4 isn't that you're forced to take these combat perks, but that there's really no point not to. Combat is all you do in that game, and no other perks really matter.

There should be a split between combat and role playing perks (trading, modding, crafting and settlement building) and then give you one perk each per level. I did one character that was all combat, but ended up poor and bored because I could not build settlements or trade worth a damn.

So... Fallout 4 just won Game of the Year at the DICE Awards. It also won best RPG/MMO. It's worth pointing out that Witcher 3 was also in both categories.
DICE has always favored American and Canadian studios and CD Projekt is based in Warsaw, Poland. The only time foreign devs REALLY become darlings at DICE is when they do something so completely off the wall that everyone needs to take notice (like SWERY was with Deadly Premonition). This is unsurprising to say the least, especially with the DICE voting pool as stacked as it is.

From my wife's playthrough:

Even when you're trying to have a conversation, the game can't go without reminding you "Hey, this is about killing, get back to the killing, guns, murder, violence, FIRE, that's what's up!"

Dave

Staff member
So the Season Pass is only $30 for now. As of March 1 the price goes up $10. I got an email today from Bundle Stars telling me that it's 15% off. So, I says, this would be the perfect time to get it. So I did. When I tried to activate it I find that I'd already bought the DLC last November and forgot.

So...does anyone want a Season Pass DLC for Fallout 4? For free?

So the Season Pass is only $30 for now. As of March 1 the price goes up $10. I got an email today from Bundle Stars telling me that it's 15% off. So, I says, this would be the perfect time to get it. So I did. When I tried to activate it I find that I'd already bought the DLC last November and forgot.

So...does anyone want a Season Pass DLC for Fallout 4? For free?
I'll take it. I'm against season passes and preorders, but I'm for receiving free stuff.

I have at least 4 characters over level 40. Last week I finally discovered that not all of the assault rifles are fully automatic. I am pretty ticked off. Nearly all of my characters have some points in Rifleman. Since the assault rifle is built like a bloody WWI machine gun, I assumed incorrectly that I had no business using one. Since I view fully auto weapons a waste of ammo that is hard to only scrounge up.

I finally read up on the Assault Rifle and saw half of the mods are for semi-auto receivers. So I modded one up, short barrel, recon scope, suppressor. The damn thing hardly moves when rapid firing. My combat rifle, if I am manually aiming, I aim for the MOB's right knee and fire 3 times. First shot hits the knee the second the gut and the third, the left shoulder. Then reacquire my aim point and fire 3 more times.

With the assault rifle just aim for the gut and fast click until the MOB is rapidly dead.

I had already sold off all my 5.56 ammunition on this character. Luckily I am a Purified Water and Jet dealer. And have way too much money.

I have at least 4 characters over level 40. Last week I finally discovered that not all of the assault rifles are fully automatic. I am pretty ticked off. Nearly all of my characters have some points in Rifleman. Since the assault rifle is built like a bloody WWI machine gun, I assumed incorrectly that I had no business using one. Since I view fully auto weapons a waste of ammo that is hard to only scrounge up.

I finally read up on the Assault Rifle and saw half of the mods are for semi-auto receivers. So I modded one up, short barrel, recon scope, suppressor. The damn thing hardly moves when rapid firing. My combat rifle, if I am manually aiming, I aim for the MOB's right knee and fire 3 times. First shot hits the knee the second the gut and the third, the left shoulder. Then reacquire my aim point and fire 3 more times.

With the assault rifle just aim for the gut and fast click until the MOB is rapidly dead.

I had already sold off all my 5.56 ammunition on this character. Luckily I am a Purified Water and Jet dealer. And have way too much money.
Automatic weapons are actually really nice when you've got your points into them... but yeah, you basically spend most of your money on ammo. Then again, a full-auto laser shotgun is something pretty scary to behold.

Dave

Staff member
There's a mod where you can craft ammo like you could in Fallout 3. It's glorious.[DOUBLEPOST=1456440941,1456440780][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and the new "Survival Mode"?

Code:
Is the struggle of this world merely a pleasant game for you? Do you long for a more brutal take on a life lived post apocalypse?

If you answered "Yes and yes!", then Survival difficulty is for you!
Survival upends many of the rules of life in the Commonwealth for maximum challenge. For a full list of these changes, see below.

To enable Survival, press [Pause], select "Settings," then "Gameplay" and choose "Survival" from the "Difficulty" options.

Saving

Manual and quicksaving are disabled. To save your game, you'll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat

Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline" (see below).

Fast Travel

Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you'll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo

Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

Adrenaline

Survival automatically grants the Adrenaline perk, which provides a bonus to your damage output. Unlike other perks, the only way to increase your rank of the Adrenaline perk is by getting kills (hostile or otherwise). The higher your Adrenaline rank, the higher the damage bonus. Sleeping for more than an hour, however, will cause your Adrenaline rank to lower. You can check your current Adrenaline rank at any time in the Perks section on the Stat tab in your Pip-Boy.

Wellness

You'll find it difficult to survive without taking proper care of yourself. You must stay hydrated, fed, and rested to remain combat-ready. 

Going for extended periods of time without food, water, or sleep will begin to adversely affect your health, hurting your SPECIAL stats, adding to your Fatigue (see "Fatigue" below), lowering your immunity (see "Sickness" below), and eventually even dealing physical damage to you.

Fatigue

Fatigue works like radiation but affects your Action Points (AP) rather than your Hit Points (HP). The more Fatigue you've built up, the less AP you'll have for other actions. The amount of Fatigue you've accumulated is displayed in red on your AP bar.

Sickness

A comprised immune system and a few questionable decisions can end up getting you killed. Eating uncooked meat, drinking unpurified water, taking damage from disease-ridden sources, such as ghouls and bugs, or using harmful Chems all put your body at increased risk for various ill effects. When you are afflicted with an illness, a message will appear onscreen. You can view specifics about your current illnesses by navigating to the Status section on your Pip-Boy's Data tab and pressing [RShoulder] to view your active effects.

Antibiotics

Antibiotics, which can be crafted at Chem Stations or purchased from doctors, heal the various effects of sickness.

Bed Types

The type of bed you're sleeping in determines the length of time you are able to stay asleep. A sleeping bag will save your game and may help save your life when you're desperate, but it will never allow for a full night's rest and the benefits that come with it.

Crippled Limbs

Crippled limbs will no longer auto-heal after combat and will remain crippled until healed by a Stimpak.

Carry Weight

Exceeding your carry weight reduces your Endurance and Agility stats and periodically damages your legs and health. Think of your back!

Companions

Companions will no longer automatically get back up if downed during combat and will return home if abandoned without being healed.

Enemy and Loot Repopulation

Locations you've cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate.

It's a lot easier in this game thanks to the workbench. You don't have to be carrying the DAMN CANS all over. Just store them until you need them.
Thankfully the cans don't weigh a pound each in 4. Sometimes I wonder if Bethesda and Obsidian owns a scale between them.

The DLC is out Automatron (or something). I can't decide if I want to start over, use a level 15 power armor user, or use one of my stealth snipers that are over level 60.

The DLC is out Automatron (or something). I can't decide if I want to start over, use a level 15 power armor user, or use one of my stealth snipers that are over level 60.
I sort of feel like you NEED to build a character a certain way to get the most out of Automatron. To get all of the content it offers you need points in...

- Armorsmith
- Blacksmith
- Gun Nut
- Science!
- Robot Expert

... and you you're going to want points in Scavenger to get some of the components. This basically means you need to go hard into Strength and Intelligence stuff. It's worth it though... you can make a lot of cool shit.

The Power Armor toon has the strength and intel to get the perks. But damn, it will be one under powered character. But the Bot will likely be the one doing the destroying now.

I sort of feel like you NEED to build a character a certain way to get the most out of Automatron. To get all of the content it offers you need points in...

- Armorsmith
- Blacksmith
- Gun Nut
- Science!
- Robot Expert

... and you you're going to want points in Scavenger to get some of the components. This basically means you need to go hard into Strength and Intelligence stuff. It's worth it though... you can make a lot of cool shit.
I had all of those (except blacksmith, who cares if it can melee?) on my current character.

I know, weird, but fun build. And the great part is you can outfit them as either Cait or Nick for lockpick or hack, so you only need to take one of the "get through shit" perk trees.

Overall, I just wish it came with more of a manual for what you can do, like make robots to do the settlement work and such. Which is great, but doesn't tell you that you can.

I had all of those (except blacksmith, who cares if it can melee?) on my current character.

I know, weird, but fun build. And the great part is you can outfit them as either Cait or Nick for lockpick or hack, so you only need to take one of the "get through shit" perk trees.

Overall, I just wish it came with more of a manual for what you can do, like make robots to do the settlement work and such. Which is great, but doesn't tell you that you can.
Actually, the melee options are all excellent, as well as much easier to make than stuff like missile launchers or lasers... and since most of the better robot armors give special effects to melee (like rad damage or bleeds), it can be worth it to invest in melee options for your robot. Just make sure you're using vast, agile legs like Assaultron or Mr. Gutsy thrusters.

I actually don't use missile launchers in companions. Or anything related. Too many bad experiences in the past with friendly fire. But the melee thing is probably true. Enemies in this game often like getting in close.

And I can say that while the carrying capacity of the sentry legs is awesome, not worth the "they can get around ANYTHING because they're too big" factor.

I actually don't use missile launchers in companions. Or anything related. Too many bad experiences in the past with friendly fire. But the melee thing is probably true. Enemies in this game often like getting in close.

And I can say that while the carrying capacity of the sentry legs is awesome, not worth the "they can get around ANYTHING because they're too big" factor.
An option I would have like would have been the ability to call your robots to your location. Then it suddenly makes sense to make a huge Sentry Robot that can carry a ton of stuff: you call him outside of the place you just looted and he takes it back to Sanctuary or where ever he's assigned.

An option I would have like would have been the ability to call your robots to your location. Then it suddenly makes sense to make a huge Sentry Robot that can carry a ton of stuff: you call him outside of the place you just looted and he takes it back to Sanctuary or where ever he's assigned.
I'm sure that'll be a mod.