Eve Online

That's a rough life now. I hear with the new NPC AI salvaging creates more aggro than actually shooting at rats, so people are getting popped pretty quick by npc's doing that. Too bad I'm not missioning anymore, I wasn't even bothering looting or salvaging.

I scan down battleships out in mission complexes, scout the area, and wait until all the npcs are dead and the missioner has moved to the next room

I just joined up into an Amarr FW guild. Mah god it can be crazy easy to make isk doing this. Kind of boring orbiting a button most of the time though.

Be prepared to be confused. It's normal. It only lasts about... about...

Actually, I'm still confused.
I've played before for like a week it seems like an awesome game I just have trouble getting into it lol it seems to me that all you can do at low levels is mine

I've played before for like a week it seems like an awesome game I just have trouble getting into it lol it seems to me that all you can do at low levels is mine
Oh, this isn't true at all. You can do combat right from the start, the only thing you'll be limited in is the role you can fill and the ships you can fly. You can also run missions, be a space trucker, explore, be a ninja salvager (really fun, though you don't exactly make a lot of friends this way) all relatively early, I suggest you try a lot of things and find out what you like.

Missions are good at low levels, and pretty safe. If that's what you want to do long term, make sure you learn the mission related social skills. It will save you a lot of time and isk.

Faction warfare is easy to get into early too, just expect to die a lot until you can fit t2 stuff. All you really need to fly is a basic frig. Minmitar would probably be the easiest on a new player. Just don't be afraid to lose ships.

I've never mined, but it seems horribly boring to me. To each his own though.

I spent the first two weeks of playing building up the skills and isk to be able to fly a mining barge, and after all that time I promptly decided that it was boring as shit and sold it.

I spent the first two weeks of playing building up the skills and isk to be able to fly a mining barge, and after all that time I promptly decided that it was boring as shit and sold it.
I've tried Eve twice I think, and this is what happened both times and then I quit before the trial was up but the game looks awesome so I keep coming back to it to give it a chance.

I've tried Eve twice I think, and this is what happened both times and then I quit before the trial was up but the game looks awesome so I keep coming back to it to give it a chance.
If you want to be eased into things, you can join EVE University. They'll pay for all of your skillbook trainings, and they're also really good at teaching you how to operate in a fleet and follow wartime operations. They area also, however, very very strict, and if you don't like being told what to do then this is not for you.

If you want to do combat, which I highly suggest, you can join faction warfare, or join a wartime corp and help in their operations. Or join Red vs Blue and have fun blowing each other up. Best advice I can give for combat is to fly without fear. Understand that everything you fly is going to get blown up, it's just a matter of when.

If you want to be eased into things, you can join EVE University. They'll pay for all of your skillbook trainings, and they're also really good at teaching you how to operate in a fleet and follow wartime operations. They area also, however, very very strict, and if you don't like being told what to do then this is not for you.

If you want to do combat, which I highly suggest, you can join faction warfare, or join a wartime corp and help in their operations. Or join Red vs Blue and have fun blowing each other up. Best advice I can give for combat is to fly without fear. Understand that everything you fly is going to get blown up, it's just a matter of when.
That's why you buy insurance and an ejection pod

That's why you buy insurance and an ejection pod
One thing I do recommend, go to the eve university wiki (google it) and follow their tutorial on how to set up your overview, especially the 'pod saver' overview. What the purpose of the pod saver is to give you the ability to warp out to a destination the moment you get exploded, leaving the enemy no time to lock onto your pod.

I liked mining in EvE. :(
How long did you do it for?It just seems like one of those things you do while you're busy doing something else, and it isn't any more profitable than running Lvl 4 missions.

If you're serious about faction warfare, check out this video. It can be a bit boring doing plexes, but it's not too bad. You'll probably need to stick with Rookie sites, Small sites will be doable with better skills. Just remember, your standing will tank with the opposing factions in FW, and you'll be attackable at all times by the opposing faction members even in high sec. You will not be safe anywhere.

How long did you do it for?It just seems like one of those things you do while you're busy doing something else, and it isn't any more profitable than running Lvl 4 missions.
That's exactly what I liked about it (not the L4 missions part, the while you're doing something else part). And the playing the markets, and moving materials stuff that came with it.

I stopped when I caught myself opening 3rd set of Excel tabs for materials farmed by a my clone in the another part of the galaxy that I could use to calculate profits based on prices of ore in my home system, my clone system, and various local economic hubs.

It just got a bit involved.

That's exactly what I liked about it (not the L4 missions part, the while you're doing something else part). And the playing the markets, and moving materials stuff that came with it.

I stopped when I caught myself opening 3rd set of Excel tabs for materials farmed by a my clone in the another part of the galaxy that I could use to calculate profits based on prices of ore in my home system, my clone system, and various local economic hubs.

It just got a bit involved.
Ah, I never really got into that stuff. It bores me to death just having to figure out which item in the LP store will get the best return. I just want to hop on and blow shit up, or get blown up.

Ah, I never really got into that stuff. It bores me to death just having to figure out which item in the LP store will get the best return. I just want to hop on and blow shit up, or get blown up.
You should check out Star Conflict on steam. It feels kind of like eve if it were an arcade game.

Don't get me wrong, I liked blowing shit up too, it's just that I found the mining oddly satisfying. It's why I liked the few times we did a wormhole or low-sec mining op when we had an HF corp.

You should check out Star Conflict on steam. It feels kind of like eve if it were an arcade game.
That looks a bit too restrictive. I like being able to switch around to different activities in Eve. I know I say I hate the market side of things, but the level of player control over everything really makes you feel more involved in the universe.

Don't get me wrong, I liked blowing shit up too, it's just that I found the mining oddly satisfying. It's why I liked the few times we did a wormhole or low-sec mining op when we had an HF corp.
I think people would have enjoyed the game a bit more if we had all tried to join a bigger corp. We could have had a private Hal channel set up so we could chat or plan things on our own, but you really need the backing of a bigger corp to help you learn the ropes and keep you safe.

I think people would have enjoyed the game a bit more if we had all tried to join a bigger corp. We could have had a private Hal channel set up so we could chat or plan things on our own, but you really need the backing of a bigger corp to help you learn the ropes and keep you safe.
I stopped because I was unemployed at the time and was spending all my time playing EVE instead of looking. It was a painful, but necessary separation. :p

I stopped because I was unemployed at the time and was spending all my time playing EVE instead of looking. It was a painful, but necessary separation. :p
The game can definitely suck up all your time. What I like about it is it can be the complete opposite too. You can "level" your character without playing for long periods of time, and there are plenty of ways to have fun without having tons of isk.

I haven't ready been playing EvE much. LoL and now Hawken way up all of my gaming time, but I can't convince myself to cancel my subscription because skill training!

Now that I'm out of school I'm considering rejoining for a month. Grabbing a trial first to see if I stick with it more than a few days. Anyone actively playing? My main character has a mining barge and Ice Harvesting if that's still valuable

Now that I'm out of school I'm considering rejoining for a month. Grabbing a trial first to see if I stick with it more than a few days. Anyone actively playing? My main character has a mining barge and Ice Harvesting if that's still valuable
I'm not active now, but you may want to look over the changes to mining. I'm not sure the last time you played, but they re-did all the mining barges and gave them different roles.

Necronic

Staff member
Mining is a lot more profitable now iirc. I really want to play, but I can't seem to bring myself. Ah well.

Holy crap the new jump gate animation is jarring. Watching it on youtube doesn't do it justice. Basically when you jump it pans the camera around, starts the warp tunnel, drops you into the new system, and then pans the camera around again. The new gates look awesome, and the effect is pretty cool, but after one or two jumps it starts to get to you. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to at least turn off all the automatic camera panning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOrzQWBifU&feature=player_detailpage#t=134s
[DOUBLEPOST=1372362047][/DOUBLEPOST]Apparently you can't embedd youtube at certain times. Jump to 2:15 for the new jump gate effect.

Necronic

Staff member
So last night in EvE there was the largest fight ever to take place in the game. 4k players, over 100 titans, etc etc.

Estimated losses in real money based on RMT rates?

.25 MILLION dollars. (I could have said 250k, but the million sounded way cooler.)

This probably breaks all sorts of records for MMOs.