ESC 2021

Dave

Staff member
Good thing I'm not a judge. I listened to like 7 of these and I liked none of them. Some were inoffensive to my ears but they were all bland or really simplistic. Even the Finnish entry that tried to be edgy came across as just trying too hard. And don't get me started on the autotune-fest that was Fallen Angel from Norway.

I take that back. One really stood out to me and that was Portugal's entry. The Black Mamba was really good.

Portugal is probably one of my favorites too. It's not a great year all around, too be honest. Very 80s this time around.

I agree. They all sound pretty bland but the on stage performance is also a huge factor.

My money is also on Portugal.

Dave

Staff member
Decided fuck it. I'm going to listen to them all.

Albania - Nice little song.
Australia - She's been listening to the Cranberries a little too much. And when it hits the chorus it loses me.
Austria - I quite liked this song. Nothing ground breaking but it's a simple song with a familiar message and it's done well.
Azerbaijan - This was one of those songs that I said was inoffensive but simplistic. It's sung well and I can see it placing. It's catchy and will be quite popular. Plus she's hot so she'll have the @bhamv3 vote.
Belgium - Okay this song bugged me and I don't know why. It's not BAD, really, just fairly simple and repetitive.
Bulgaria - I missed this one the first time through. This is another strong contender. Simple song but with a powerful message. I can see this one placing or even winning it.
Croatia - This one will do well as a club tune. Not sure how it'll do in the contest. Probably well. It's very formulaic. Which means people will love it. Me not so much. But I'll be humming it later.
Cyprus - The description for Croatia and Cyprus could be the same. But this one has autotune as well!
Czech Republic - This is a decent song. I can see this one getting play in the US. He sounds like Bruno Mars a bit at times. The song is upbeat and happy. I can see this one doing well.
Denmark - What the fuck, Denmark? This song is exactly the type of Eurovision song/act people make fun of. Very, VERY 80's feel. And not in the good way.
Estonia - This guy is going to be famous worldwide, but this song just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, it's just one of those songs you hear and forget.
Finland - These guys freebased too much Linkin Park. Rock/rap but can't decide what they want to be. They are pop disguised as rock. Sorry, guys, but black clothes and mascara doesn't make you edgy. Heavy metal posers.
France - If this song were any more French it would be smoking a cigarette, wearing a beret, and sipping coffee at a cafe while making fun of the tourists. It was apparently supposed to be a serious song but I just couldn't take it that way.
Georgia - I liked this song quite a bit. It's a slow and melodic ode to getting back to nature and love. But I don't think it stands a chance. The singer is not that great and the song is too slow to bring any excitement.
Germany - "Don't Worry, Be Happy" the German version. I'm of two minds with this song. It's fun but just...silly. It'll either do great or die in a flame. I don't think there's much middle ground here.
Greece - Another entry that could see the finals. Stefania is obviously very talented and she's very experienced so she'll have stage presence. The song is catchy if nothing especially new or daring.
Iceland - What the fuck, man? Was Denmark not weird enough? This is like 60's sitcom band with an 80's song. This looks like it's straight from the Revenge of the Nerds talent show.
Ireland - Another song in the vein of Croatia & Cyprus. A good song but I can't see this one winning. Every note obviously autotuned and the tune itself is the same thing over & over again.
Israel - If I liked hiphop I'd probably like this song. As it stands I didn't care for it but I do recognize that it's an inoffensive Beyonce ripoff and therefore going to be popular. Don't think it ha a chance.
Italy - I don't know how to categorize this one. It's not a bad song. Harder rocking than Finland, they look like they'll be glam rock, but actually rock out. I think it'll do okay but don't think it has a chance of winning.
Latvia - Another club song that will do well that I thought was bland and took no chances. Nothing differentiates from any of the rest. I think it has a chance of finishing well but would be disappointed if it did as it's nothing special.
Lithuania - Uh...wut? This song is just pointless and silly. It's the song equivalent of empty calories.
Malta - I liked this song but it's in the same vein as Israel. But god DAMN is this one catchy. I can see this one getting play in the US. It has a shot of winning.
Moldova - Very 80's again. This time more Madonna pop-ish. It's one of those 4 chord songs. I don't see this going very far but some will like it.
North Macedonia - This guy has an absolutely amazing voice. The song is very simple and heartfelt, with great orchestration and absolutely no autotune. I would love to see this one do well but fear it's not flashy enough.
Norway - Speaking of autotune. Holy shit. Very pop and bland. I know he's popular in Norway but that says more about modern music than his talent.
Poland - Another Norway style song. Pop, bland, & autotuned. It'll do well but it's nothing you've not heard a thousand times from other artists.
Portugal - Bluesy and takes a chance with a song that is soulful and powerful. Although it's not an overly complex song, it's done extremely well.
Romania - This is one of those songs that I liked despite it being everything I hate - pop, Beyonce ripoff, autotuned. But there's something about it. The singer's voice drips emotion and her performance is great. I'd LOVE to hear her without the autotune. It's honestly what I think holds her down.
Russia - This song sucked from start to finish.
San Marino - Eurovision 2021: The Year of the Autotune! This song is okay but I didn't care for it. Again with the autotune and simplistic, repetitive music. Which can be okay if the artist can carry it but I don't think she can.
Serbia - This is everything I hate about pop music. Autotuned, repetitive, flashy without substance. I'd say their vocals are okay but who can tell?
Slovenia - No autotune here and her voice is really decent. But like others I wonder if the song is flashy enough to do well. This one sounds like a song from a revival. I think it would do better as a song in a soundtrack than Eurovision. But it's well done.
Spain - This song is very inoffensive, but it's got some autotune and the tune isn't anything we've never heard before, but his voice you can tell is very good. It'll depend on his stage presence as to how well he does. Got a hell of a vocal range.
Sweden - This guy uses autotune, but it seems to be more stylistic than a crutch. He sings with heart & emotion even though the song itself is nothing special. Very poppy and catchy, but pretty generic.
Switzerland - Now THIS song took a chance! It relies almost entirely on the singer's voice and it might be better for it. His voice is amazing and if there was autotune I couldn't detect it. The song is slow in places and I wonder if it's flashy enough to do well.
The Netherlands - Wow this song was something else. It's not a complex song, but the singer's voice is different and quite amazing. I can see this song winning it all. I quite like this song.
Ukraine - Not a fan of this one. It can't decide whether it wants to be traditional, electronica, or pop. I gotta give it points for taking a chance and going in a brave direction, but I feel it misses the mark and relies on repetition and simplistic melodies.
United Kingdom - A catchy tune with a minimum of autotune, this one might do okay but I don't think it will. It's one of those songs that you won't remember the name or who sings it while you hum it while doing housework.

My top 3 in no order:

Portugal
North Macedonia
Bulgaria

I definitely don't agree with all of those, but I do still think autotune shouldn't be allowed. If I had anything to say about it, they'd still be forced to use the real life orchestra.
But I do agree with you about n Macedonia. Nobody here seemed to like it much, but I did.

Decided fuck it. I'm going to listen to them all.

Albania - Nice little song.
Australia - She's been listening to the Cranberries a little too much. And when it hits the chorus it loses me.
Austria - I quite liked this song. Nothing ground breaking but it's a simple song with a familiar message and it's done well.
Azerbaijan - This was one of those songs that I said was inoffensive but simplistic. It's sung well and I can see it placing. It's catchy and will be quite popular. Plus she's hot so she'll have the @bhamv3 vote.
Belgium - Okay this song bugged me and I don't know why. It's not BAD, really, just fairly simple and repetitive.
Bulgaria - I missed this one the first time through. This is another strong contender. Simple song but with a powerful message. I can see this one placing or even winning it.
Croatia - This one will do well as a club tune. Not sure how it'll do in the contest. Probably well. It's very formulaic. Which means people will love it. Me not so much. But I'll be humming it later.
Cyprus - The description for Croatia and Cyprus could be the same. But this one has autotune as well!
Czech Republic - This is a decent song. I can see this one getting play in the US. He sounds like Bruno Mars a bit at times. The song is upbeat and happy. I can see this one doing well.
Denmark - What the fuck, Denmark? This song is exactly the type of Eurovision song/act people make fun of. Very, VERY 80's feel. And not in the good way.
Estonia - This guy is going to be famous worldwide, but this song just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, it's just one of those songs you hear and forget.
Finland - These guys freebased too much Linkin Park. Rock/rap but can't decide what they want to be. They are pop disguised as rock. Sorry, guys, but black clothes and mascara doesn't make you edgy. Heavy metal posers.
France - If this song were any more French it would be smoking a cigarette, wearing a beret, and sipping coffee at a cafe while making fun of the tourists. It was apparently supposed to be a serious song but I just couldn't take it that way.
Georgia - I liked this song quite a bit. It's a slow and melodic ode to getting back to nature and love. But I don't think it stands a chance. The singer is not that great and the song is too slow to bring any excitement.
Germany - "Don't Worry, Be Happy" the German version. I'm of two minds with this song. It's fun but just...silly. It'll either do great or die in a flame. I don't think there's much middle ground here.
Greece - Another entry that could see the finals. Stefania is obviously very talented and she's very experienced so she'll have stage presence. The song is catchy if nothing especially new or daring.
Iceland - What the fuck, man? Was Denmark not weird enough? This is like 60's sitcom band with an 80's song. This looks like it's straight from the Revenge of the Nerds talent show.
Ireland - Another song in the vein of Croatia & Cyprus. A good song but I can't see this one winning. Every note obviously autotuned and the tune itself is the same thing over & over again.
Israel - If I liked hiphop I'd probably like this song. As it stands I didn't care for it but I do recognize that it's an inoffensive Beyonce ripoff and therefore going to be popular. Don't think it ha a chance.
Italy - I don't know how to categorize this one. It's not a bad song. Harder rocking than Finland, they look like they'll be glam rock, but actually rock out. I think it'll do okay but don't think it has a chance of winning.
Latvia - Another club song that will do well that I thought was bland and took no chances. Nothing differentiates from any of the rest. I think it has a chance of finishing well but would be disappointed if it did as it's nothing special.
Lithuania - Uh...wut? This song is just pointless and silly. It's the song equivalent of empty calories.
Malta - I liked this song but it's in the same vein as Israel. But god DAMN is this one catchy. I can see this one getting play in the US. It has a shot of winning.
Moldova - Very 80's again. This time more Madonna pop-ish. It's one of those 4 chord songs. I don't see this going very far but some will like it.
North Macedonia - This guy has an absolutely amazing voice. The song is very simple and heartfelt, with great orchestration and absolutely no autotune. I would love to see this one do well but fear it's not flashy enough.
Norway - Speaking of autotune. Holy shit. Very pop and bland. I know he's popular in Norway but that says more about modern music than his talent.
Poland - Another Norway style song. Pop, bland, & autotuned. It'll do well but it's nothing you've not heard a thousand times from other artists.
Portugal - Bluesy and takes a chance with a song that is soulful and powerful. Although it's not an overly complex song, it's done extremely well.
Romania - This is one of those songs that I liked despite it being everything I hate - pop, Beyonce ripoff, autotuned. But there's something about it. The singer's voice drips emotion and her performance is great. I'd LOVE to hear her without the autotune. It's honestly what I think holds her down.
Russia - This song sucked from start to finish.
San Marino - Eurovision 2021: The Year of the Autotune! This song is okay but I didn't care for it. Again with the autotune and simplistic, repetitive music. Which can be okay if the artist can carry it but I don't think she can.
Serbia - This is everything I hate about pop music. Autotuned, repetitive, flashy without substance. I'd say their vocals are okay but who can tell?
Slovenia - No autotune here and her voice is really decent. But like others I wonder if the song is flashy enough to do well. This one sounds like a song from a revival. I think it would do better as a song in a soundtrack than Eurovision. But it's well done.
Spain - This song is very inoffensive, but it's got some autotune and the tune isn't anything we've never heard before, but his voice you can tell is very good. It'll depend on his stage presence as to how well he does. Got a hell of a vocal range.
Sweden - This guy uses autotune, but it seems to be more stylistic than a crutch. He sings with heart & emotion even though the song itself is nothing special. Very poppy and catchy, but pretty generic.
Switzerland - Now THIS song took a chance! It relies almost entirely on the singer's voice and it might be better for it. His voice is amazing and if there was autotune I couldn't detect it. The song is slow in places and I wonder if it's flashy enough to do well.
The Netherlands - Wow this song was something else. It's not a complex song, but the singer's voice is different and quite amazing. I can see this song winning it all. I quite like this song.
Ukraine - Not a fan of this one. It can't decide whether it wants to be traditional, electronica, or pop. I gotta give it points for taking a chance and going in a brave direction, but I feel it misses the mark and relies on repetition and simplistic melodies.
United Kingdom - A catchy tune with a minimum of autotune, this one might do okay but I don't think it will. It's one of those songs that you won't remember the name or who sings it while you hum it while doing housework.

My top 3 in no order:

Portugal
North Macedonia
Bulgaria
Here is the list for the final with the start numbers:

1 Cyprus
2 Albania
3 Israel
4 Belgium
5 Russia
6 Malta
7 Portugal
8 Serbia
9 United Kingdom
10 Greece
11 Switzerland
12 Iceland
13 Spain
14 Moldova
15 Germany
16 Finland
17 Bulgaria
18 Lithuania
19 Ukraine
20 France
21 Azerbaijan
22 Norway
23 The Netherlands
24 Italy
25 Sweden
26 San Marino

Two of your top three are still there.
I agree with your spot on views on the songs. I laughed my ass of when I saw Denmark perform in the semi finals. It was like a "Modern Talking" tribute band took the stage.

What do the start numbers mean? I thought that everyone was in.
The order they appear in. It's mostly random draw, with some weighings. The big finale starts in two minutes. :csi::unibrow::heart:
I'm watching with a good Irish Angus steak, French wine and Belgian fries. Not indicative of my choices.

It started and here are my, maybe a bit drunken, impressions.

1 Cyprus
Sounds like a bit like "Bad Romance", like Lady Gaga went a bit latin. But the artist Elena Tsagrinou is sexy and the stage perfomance is not bad.

2 Albania
Like @Dave said, a nice little song. Anxhela Peristeri has good voice and great stage presence. And yes, she is sexy too.

3 Israel
Yeah, sounds like a lot of the current trends. What I mean it's a radio song playable in most countrys. And man, can Eden Alene hit the high notes. Also again a sexy dress. I wonder how the current situation will affect the votes.

4 Belgium
I can't say why but the song sounds familiar. Hooverphonic sounds like they should be on the soundtrack of a Allen Wake game.

5 Russia
Not my type of music. But it's interesting that the artist Manizha is pro LGTB. Will get a lot of votes from pro Russia countries nonetheless

6 Malta
The song is a good soul number. Destiny has good stage presence and a strong voice. But the hand waving bit is weak.

7 Portugal
Like I said earlier, The Black Mamba might win this for Portugal. Great soul number.

8 Serbia
Hurricane or what happened when someone clone Shakira three times. Their performance is nothing special. Just on stage pop dance, not even really synchron.

9 United Kingdom
Weak. Sorry James Newman that is a forgetable song and performance

10 Greece
Nice song, nice custome, Stefania is sexy too. But the stage perfomance? The song is called let's dance and what is she not really doing? Is it so hard to get a kpop dance instructor?

11 Switzerland
Good song and performance. Gjon's Tears will get many many point.

12 Iceland
Looks like Daði og Gagnamagnið discovered Jamiroqui.

13 Spain
Blas Cantó has some stage presence and his performance was not bad but the audience was not so enthusiastic

14 Moldova
Natalia Gordienko can really hold the notes for a long time. But really copy paste. Even the dress looks like one I saw earlier tonight. But she is sexy too.

15 Germany
Sorry, Jendrik no. Feels like Spongebob became real.

16 Finland
Blind Channel is a hardcore metal band? really? Ok. :rolleyes:

17 Bulgaria
What a nice song. VICTORIA is a strong contender for a high placement. And she is cute.

18 Lithuania
The Roop had a really silly performance on stage. The song is not my taste, so it will get many votes. But they had a woman wearing a something looking like a japanese schoolgirl outfit.

19 Ukraine
Songs that used traditional elements usually get some good points. And the perfomance by Go_A with the show elements will make them memorable

20 France
Barbara Pravi got a lot of praise beforhand. A nice modern emotionally chanson. And she is pleasing to the eye.

21 Azerbaijan
Another Shakira dance number this time by Efendi. Lot of dancing and fire on stage. But not much originality

22 Norway
I guess they have to autotune TIX to make up for the fact that he is an one man 90s pop boyband. The stage performance is something. He is dressed like an angel strugling with guys dressed like demons. Very symbolic.

23 The Netherlands
Jeangu Macrooy brings a strong song for the Netherlands. Maybe strong enough for another win this year?

24 Italy
Måneskin sounds at least more metal than the guys from Finland. But their performance on stage could be a lot more for my taste.

25 Sweden
The song by Tusse is nothing really special, Sweden got stronger songs in the past. His outfit made me thinking that any moment Scorpion challenge him to Mortal Combat.

26 San Marino
What a outfit and hair. Senhit has a good voice. Wait, and Flo Rida? What the fuck? Is that even allowed?

Maybe more later, for now I'm busy watching and in several whatsapp groups about ESC...
Personal top:
France
Azerbaijan
Norway
Sweden
Malta
Ukraine
Cyprus

Honorable mention to Germany though, I really enjoyed it. I think a good remix could be a great summer club song.

The votes of 20 countrys are in and it looks like a run between France, Switzerland, Malta and Iceland.

Those were just the jury votes from the countrys now comes the audience votes. That can change everything.

And the winner is....

Italy

So next year will be in Italy

Here are the places:

Italy
France
Switzerland
Iceland
Ukraine
Finland
Malta
Lithuania
Russia
Greece
Bulgaria
Portugal
Moldova
Sweden
Serbia
Cyprus
Israel
Norway
Belgium
Azerbaijan
Albania
San Marino
The Netherlands
Spain
Germany
United Kingdom

An absolute horrible result for the big 5 besides France, and undeserved for Germany and the Netherlands in my opinion. Neither should've won, but deserved better than this. And France would've made a much better winner imo

I'm surprised about Netherlands not so much about Germany. It wasn't a winner song, more for the middle field. France had a really strong song. Italy not so much and they proofed it right at the end.They sounded like a tired school band.

Listened to the top 10 and there wasn't anything there that I'd be interested in listening to again.
I also listened to Germany's.
I could easily tell people that's a deleted song from Moana.