Equipment advice for an airsoft noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few friends of mine are heavily into airsofting, and the few times I've joined them, it's been pretty fun. They're talking about making it a regular thing, though, so I really need to get my own guns instead of borrowing all the time. If anyone here knows much about airsoft, I could use the advice.

I'm looking to get a semi-automatic 1911 style pistol, hopefully around 350 fps (that's the limit at the local arena), and a non M4/M16 type automatic electric rifle. My limit is $100 for either.

Otherwise, if you just know what brands or features to look for, and what to avoid, that would be helpful.

Holy crap, how did I not know about this thread? I love Airsoft.

Okay, for about $100 you're likely to just be getting spring-operated guns. They perform adequately but don't be surprised if they break after a few games. Fortunately, the shop I get my gear from is having specials on gas-operated 1911's.

Marushin 8mm 1911 TRP [MARTRPGBB] - $109.99 : Airsoft Extreme, The premier American retailer of replica toy airsoft guns.

For a good rifle I would recommend something from the manufacturers Tokyo Marui or Western Arms. The problem with rifles is they're usually a bit more expensive. You can find a springer within your price range at most hobby shops but they mostly sell the M4/M16 models. AEG's cost at least $200 but you should probably browse your local shops to see if they have any sales.

Actually, I've been able to find a Galaxy G5K (MP5K) for around $90.00, it's a high quality AEG. Also in the same price range is a Thompson M1A1 with 1000 round drum. Also, a Well Bell Galaxy CO2 M1911, full metal, goes for $95.

But thanks for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.