[Soccer] English Premier League Discussion Thread

Dave

Staff member
You will soon see a link at the top for an English Premier League game. This is the thread we will use to discuss stuff with it![DOUBLEPOST=1375577032,1375576708][/DOUBLEPOST]Rules:

You guess what the score of the games will be.

• 0 points - Totally wrong
  • 1 point - Guess the match winner.
  • 2 points - Guess the match winner and the goal differential
  • 3 points - Get the entire score right.
Winner at the end of the season will get a prize that I haven't thought up yet. But it'll be fun!

Here's a fun commercial promoting NBC carrying EPL matches this season.

best line: Wales? Wait, that's another country? Yes and no.

Oh man, there's going to be so many unexpected variables this season.

Will David Moyes actually be able to match Sir Alex's management ability, or will Manchester United start tanking? Will they actually pull off the impossible and sign Fabregas?
Will Arsenal actually be able to come together and start competing, or will they be a team full of pretty underachievers again?
Will Liverpool keep Suarez? Will it matter?
Will Gareth Bale stay at Tottenham? And if he does, will he still be able to play at the same level?
Will Manchester City's new signings gel with the old players? Bayern Munich didn't have much trouble making them look overpriced.

This is going to be an awesome season. :D

Here's a fun commercial promoting NBC carrying EPL matches this season.

best line: Wales? Wait, that's another country? Yes and no.
You can have ties in Football. :mad:

The best line is the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys again.[DOUBLEPOST=1375658243,1375658181][/DOUBLEPOST]
Gonna troll this and guess 0-0 for every game
I don't think Soccer could handle so many exciting games!

Matches don't start until the 17th. I'm still developing my "lack of soccer knowledge" strategy for picking teams and scores.

Why the Premier League? We don't have that many Brits here. I actually think Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium are all three better-represented here. Damn Limeys. :p

Dave

Staff member
Why the Premier League? We don't have that many Brits here. I actually think Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium are all three better-represented here. Damn Limeys. :p

It's the one I knew hadn't started yet and it has a lot of famous teams that Americans can use as a frame of reference.

I can put in a whole bunch of different leagues if I want.

• AT Öster. Bundesliga 2013/2014
  • CH Swiss Super League 2013/2014
  • CZ Gambrinus Liga 2013/2014
  • DE 1. Bundesliga 2013/2014
  • DE 2. Bundesliga 2013/2014
  • DE 3. Liga 2013/2014
  • DE DFB-Pokal 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Bayern 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Nord 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Nordost 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Südwest 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga West 2013/2014
  • ENG Premier League 2013/2014
  • ENG English Championship 2013/2014
  • ENG League One 2013/2014
  • ENG League Two 2013/2014
  • ENG League Cup 2013/2014
  • ES Primera División 2013/2014
  • ES Segunda División 2013/2014
  • FIFA FIFA Confed. Cup 2013
  • FR Ligue 1 2013/2014
  • HR 1. HNL 2013/2014
  • IT Serie A
  • NL Eredivisie 2013/2014
  • NO Tippeligaen 2013
  • PL Ekstraklasa 2013/2014
  • PT Primeira Liga 2013/2014
  • RO Liga 1 2013/2014
  • RU Russian Premier League 2013
  • SCT Scottish Premier League 2013/2014
  • SR Serbian Superliga 2013/2014
  • SV Allsvenskan 2013
  • TR Süper Lig 2013/2014
  • UA Ukrainian Premier League 2013/2014
  • Europa League 2013/2014 (ab Gruppen-Phase)
  • Champions League 2013/2014 (ab Gruppen-Phase)
  • WM 2014 (ab Gruppen-Phase)

Dave

Staff member
I know, right?!? There is an addon that does that, but you have to enter everything by hand - teams, scores, matchups - while this one does it outright with an API. If I could find an NFL one, you damn well bet it'd be up here!

I can't decide if Arsenal are going to be a good team challenging for a European place, or a mediocre team hovering around mid-table.

Okay, you got me on this one. Not gonna guarantee I'm gonna be able to keep up with the fixtures and whatnot.

Okay, you got me on this one. Not gonna guarantee I'm gonna be able to keep up with the fixtures and whatnot.
If you've got NBC Sports Network, you're set. All matches are either on TV or live streaming. Plus a Match of the Day wrap-up at 11pm.

I have it - and I don't. NBCSN is a digital tier station, which means I can only get it on the DVR converter TV, which is in the other room.

It drove me NUTS during the hockey season when they did the switch, because I can't watch hockey on the computer.

I have it - and I don't. NBCSN is a digital tier station, which means I can only get it on the DVR converter TV, which is in the other room.

It drove me NUTS during the hockey season when they did the switch, because I can't watch hockey on the computer.
I think the rules are different with other sports. With the Live Extra app or the NBC sports site, you just need to log in to confirm you have a provider that carries the network. That's how I was able to watch F1 from work even though the hotel doesn't provide NBC Sports Network.

With the TV, laptop, tablet, and phone, I can have four or more matches on live all at once. :)

Fuck you Cardiff, and fuck you Manchester City. Of all the matches this week, I would've thought that would be the surest one.

Bah.

Dave

Staff member
I got 3 points right out of the box in week #2 with Fulham/Arsenal. After that it was all downhill. Maybe I DON'T like this game!

The big risk I've taken for week 3 is that I've wagered that Tottenham will beat Arsenal. If they do, though, Wenger might actually face the sack, and then I have no idea who Arsenal think they can get as a manager who'd be better than Wenger. Which means Arsenal will probably go on an unstoppable downward spiral this season.

The big gambles I'm taking this week are that I'm guessing the alphabetically first team will win every time. So far, this seems to work out better than actually trying to evaluate their qualities on the field.