End of the World Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
A while ago I posted a thread about how the world was going to end. I can't find the thread now but I remember making it!

Anyway, I said something about Israel and Iran going to war and the US having to pick a side.

Don't say I didn't warn you all.

Israel says this is Iran's doing and that they "would respond with force to Iranian terror."

Stay tuned.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, I've never quite understood the US's backing over Israel no matter what they have done and the demonization of the Palestinians - who are seemingly* fighting a war against an oppressive occupying force backed by people from the other side of the world and idealogical spectrum.

*I say "seemingly" because I freely admit I'm not as versed in this conflict as I probably should be.

GasBandit

Staff member
If only there were other countries adjacent to Israel with similar values, laws, and ethnic makeups which could have taken in displaced refugees, instead of shunning them to intentionally aggravate the situation into perpetuity.[DOUBLEPOST=1342639369][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway, anyone who didn't see Iran on the "inevitable war" docket 10 years ago is myopic to magoo proportions.

Necronic

Staff member
serious answer - it's way too complicated for me to speak with any real authority on, sorry.
ie: I don't know.

Here are 3 real reasons why:

1) Jews are a serious voting block with serious campaign finance allocations

2) Jews are considered by christians to be "people of the book", whereas muslims are not (which is ironic because "people of the book" is a muslim name for Christians and Jews), and they are therefore better guardians of the holy land in the christian mind, which means that most Christians back Israel as well.

3) Israel represents the single most important military assets that America has in the Middle East. It's like the biggest and most powerful military base in the world, and we have a lot of influence over it. Obviously this has negative reppurcussions (which then help justify it's own existence.)

Yeah, I've never quite understood the US's backing over Israel no matter what they have done and the demonization of the Palestinians - who are seemingly* fighting a war against an oppressive occupying force backed by people from the other side of the world and idealogical spectrum.

*I say "seemingly" because I freely admit I'm not as versed in this conflict as I probably should be.
Are you familiar with poker terms? Ever heard of being "pot committed"? It means you've got so much money in the game that you can't fold your hand, even though you know it will probably lose. We've supported Israel so much over the years that we can't bring ourselves to stop.

2) Jews are considered by christians to be "people of the book", whereas muslims are not (which is ironic because "people of the book" is a muslim name for Christians and Jews), and they are therefore better guardians of the holy land in the christian mind, which means that most Christians back Israel as well.
Really, the only reason Christens respect Jewish beliefs at all is because we KNOW they were around hundreds of years before them (and that their savior was one of them) and that they believe most of the same stuff, if not all of it. Hell, it's the only reasons the Mormons are tolerated at all.

Does anyone else think it's funny that we're willing to accept Mormons, who have been around less than 300 years and have the shakiest origin story ever, but not Muslims, who have been around for far longer and have hundreds of years of culture, art, and music that have influenced just about ever facet of their lands?

Are you familiar with poker terms? Ever heard of being "pot committed"? It means you've got so much in the game that you can't fold your hand, even though you know it will probably lose. We've supported Israel so much over the years that we can't bring ourselves to stop.
I think it's more that we know that Israel is pot committed at this point, and that they are more than willing to flip over the table and burn the cards if they don't win. We're kind of stuck backing Israel mainly because they have nukes at this point... if they didn't, we probably wouldn't be helping them.

Does anyone else think it's funny that we're willing to accept Mormons, who have been around less than 300 years and have the shakiest origin story ever, but not Muslims, who have been around for far longer and have hundreds of years of culture, art, and music that have influenced just about ever facet of their lands?
mormons are white as hell and really hate gay people

Yeah, I've never quite understood the US's backing over Israel no matter what they have done
In my mind, the short version is because it is in your interests to do so. This was clear during the Cold War when many of the arab states were aligned with the Soviet Union. But the area is still very important, much because of it's energy reserves, and Israel is militarily preponderant there. And, thanks in part to their extensive lead and part to their robust domestic arms industry, this is not likely to change in the short term, even if all US aid to Israel was cut effective immediately.

Here are 3 real reasons why:

1) Jews are a serious voting block with serious campaign finance allocations
Add to that the lobbying power of the armaments industry, which has an interest in continuing the flow of military materiel to Israel and other US allies in the Middle East.

Quite possibly, though I believe there are sufficient realpolitik reasons at play to make this point rather insignificant.

3) Israel represents the single most important military assets that America has in the Middle East. It's like the biggest and most powerful military base in the world, and we have a lot of influence over it. Obviously this has negative reppurcussions (which then help justify it's own existence.)
Yes. Israel possesses military superiority over any potential grouping of arab states that might conceivably pose a threat, which is of major significance given the importance of the region. I'll list some other contributing factors:

- Isreali success at suppressing radicals in neighbouring areas (Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan)
- Mossad is one of the most effective intelligence organisations, and has co-operated with american intelligence agencies
- Israel has proved to be a useful proxy through which to funnel US military materiel to groups that are too politically unpalatable for direct US assistance (Iran-Contra affair, Guatemala military junta, apartheid South Africa)

Israel is also keeping the Suez Canal open... i.e. they are not blowing up all the ships that pass through... like they did in their last war with Egypt.

Necronic

Staff member
They also have top men looking after the Ark of the Covenant.

....Top....Men.

Edit: Also don't underestimate the Christian side of this. If Jews are a significant political group then the Christian right most definitely is, and they back Jews over Muslims any day of the week.

They also have top men looking after the Ark of the Covenant.

....Top....Men.

Edit: Also don't underestimate the Christian side of this. If Jews are a significant political group then the Christian right most definitely is, and they back Jews over Muslims any day of the week.
Eh, don't overestimate the Christian right's power in regards to how our government treats Israel though. I think most do. While there might be *some* influence there it's probably insignificant compared to other factors IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.