[Gaming] Elder Scrolls 5 - Dawnguard is HERE!

That's exactly how I felt about Fallout 3 and New Vegas after I had beaten all the DLC.

There should be some Skyrim DLC coming soon I'm willing to bet.

That's exactly how I felt about Fallout 3 and New Vegas after I had beaten all the DLC.

There should be some Skyrim DLC coming soon I'm willing to bet.
They aren't doing DLC like they did for New Vegas and Fallout 3, where it's small 10-20 hour bites. They are planning to do a full expansion, like Shivering Isles.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, the ending...
first guard I happen to see mentions "hey, I heard you saved us from the evil!" And the whole thing is NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN.

Yeah, the ending...
first guard I happen to see mentions "hey, I heard you saved us from the evil!" And the whole thing is NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN.
You know, I actually just sat on top of High Hrothgar, and I do mean the VERY top and watched the sun rise. Then I saved the game. That was my end. I checked one or two cities to be sure nothing else happened since the ending was such an anti-climax, but I'm sticking with that save game. Now my character never knows how unimportant what he did was.

GasBandit

Staff member
What got me, too, was no matter how many dragons I killed in the courtyard at the college, they always repeat "I've never seen the like in all my years!"

What got me, too, was no matter how many dragons I killed in the courtyard at the college, they always repeat "I've never seen the like in all my years!"
Yeah, while Skyrim deserves it's high praise for sure, they have miles to go before they get the whole "things you do actually impact more than just setting off the next part of the quest".

Let's be honest. Skyrim is a fantastic RPG with a huge sandbox world that rivals no other game with that level of detail and graphic ability.

Is it perfect? No, it's on a new engine and isn't where it can be. The game doesn't boast Mass Effect like consequences to your actions. You're liable from them but never impedes you from being able to continue playing the game.

Best of all? No RBG choices when you finish the final quest. You can go home to your loved one, eat, drink, walk around and enjoy the game and the countless mods available.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, it's NICE to have the ability to continue derping around after finishing the main quest... I just kinda expected a little more to-do from all the ingrates I saved. Instead of more stern warnings about fiddling with locks. I wonder if cops hassled Eisenhower about where he went to college when he came back from WWII.

Well, I don't see the lack of impact of choices as... well, bad I guess, I see it as, hey, they took this as far as they could. I think they fully intend to continue to world build and add in stuff like this as they make more games. I would expect as we see more Elder Scrolls and Fallout RPG's to see more and more impact on the world based one your actions.

Oh and I LOVE that you can continue doing quests after the game is over. I just did them all first.

The way I see it, the people of Skyrim were not actually all that interested in the dragons. They spent way more time arguing about the whole Empire and Stormcloak War then they did about the dragons or Alduin, and some of the Jarls even gave "kill the dragon" just like they gave "kill this random bandit" quests. I think by this point in their history they are used to nearly world destroying problems just kind of working themselves out, so the dragons took a back seat to the more "widespread" political issues.

When it comes time for the end, the only people that really care are going to be the Greybeards, who are pretty unemotional already, and the Blades, who act like dragonslaying is just something you do, nothing all that special. The rest are only going to hear about you in books and legends, one that will likely sit on some random bandits bookshelf in a hundred years.

Remember Talos, the God that lead to the civil war in the first place? He didn't become a household name everywhere until he literally took over the Empire and conquered the entire continent. We are not there yet.

Wow - so they just announced that the 360 version will be getting Kinect support soon. I am somewhat intrigued:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Skyrim/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802425307e6

I haven't really messed around with the Kinect much, so I am unfamiliar with how reliable the voice recognition is. Sure the shouts functionality sounds cool, but I'm more interested in the menu commands. It will probably take a lot of setup, but the end result looks like it will be worth it.

360 version isn't terrible, if you don't want to mod the game. But that's kinda like only using 16 colors out of a 120 color box of crayons: your not getting the full picture, even if the picture is still nice.

It's ok.

We'll be downloading more free content from our modding community including the dozen of fully fleshed out quest lines.

Oh... and mods... shitload of awesome mods.

TESV_City_Winterhold_Sunset.png

Doesn't bother me, really. I prefer the controller to the mouse/keyboard set up and I don't have a computer that could run it if I did prefer it ;) Plus, I've found that while the modding community is great, it decreases my enjoyment of a game faster than if I hadn't had it.

Doesn't bother me, really. I prefer the controller to the mouse/keyboard set up
Controllers work on the PC. Including an Xbox controller.

and I don't have a computer that could run it if I did prefer it ;)
Beginning to make sense.

Plus, I've found that while the modding community is great, it decreases my enjoyment of a game faster than if I hadn't had it.
Yeah, better graphics, fixed bugs and issues cleared up and perfected ruin games for me too ;)