[Movies] Don't Like 3D? You Shall Be Punished

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will begin boycotting Spotlight Theaters immediately.

...as I've been doing my whole life. Never been to one. The backlash will hopefully be that people choose other theaters to go to for their 2D movies and thus this fucking fails like it should. What a fucking twit.

I will begin boycotting Spotlight Theaters immediately.

...as I've been doing my whole life. Never been to one. The backlash will hopefully be that people choose other theaters to go to for their 2D movies and thus this fucking fails like it should. What a fucking twit.
As far as I can tell Spotlight is a relatively small chain located in Georgia. The problem is that the author is not announcing that his theaters are raising 2D prices, but rather he's suggesting that all theaters will begin to do this.

I want 3D movies to be an option that can be enjoyed by choice rather than enforced to the masses. For example, a Pirates or Tron flick can use this tech pretty easily.... but I do NOT want to watch this crap when I'm watching the new Batman movie or whatnot.

One thing is for sure though.... I'd be totally for complete AVX theatres that also allow online ticket seating reservations. Not having to go to the movie theatre an hour beforehand waiting in line to buy tickets then waiting in another line to go inside the hall? Yes plz.

The fact I can only do this with only 1 possible movie out of 21 is insane... especially since I can book from home in a matter of minutes, whenever I feel like it, then show up 5 minutes before the movie starts and go directly to my assigned seat.

THIS IS EVOLUTION.

ElJuski

Staff member
I will say this: if the industry is moving towards a great divide between streaming at home and watching at a theater, well, at least the theater is doing something interesting enough to merit going and paying for the experience.

As it stands, I don't go to the movies that much anyway because I can get just as good of a setup at home. The only reason I would go to a theater nowadays would be to see something for the experience of seeing it when it's fresh--and the water cooler talk surrounding it--or if there actually is a pull in the theater to do so. I don't like 3D. I actually kind of hate it. But I can see the reasoning behind it, and the reasoning behind what Charlie thinks, too.

I don't hate 3D out of hand. I enjoy it when it's done well. I do recognize that many people don't enjoy it, and many people physically can't enjoy it, and therefore I am loathe to embrace a future where 3D is the only option or where everyone must pay for and support 3D. This move to normalize prices would fall under the latter category.

I don't know shit about cars. but I wouldn't say "oh, my Yaris can get just the same driving experience as a lambourgini"*

*(I don't even know how to spell lambourghini? Porsche. Should have said Porsche, I think that's right)

no. no you can't. you can say "I don't care about the obvious and huge advantages a theater provides in audio and video quality", or "I am 80% blind and deaf" but you cannot get just as good of a setup at home
Theater is only presenting superior audio quality when the sound of one movie isn't spilling over into the theater next door.
Theater is only presenting superior video quality when it's in digital presentation so as not to show scratches and blips everywhere, and when not using a 3D lens that muddles the colors.

Film is of a higher resolution than every digital presentation in existence

Proper bulb usage with a 3D projector doesn't fuck up the colors

also yes, even if all that stuff you just said is happening, it's still better than your 50" TV and blu-ray player unless you've spent literally every dollar you've ever earned on a theater room

Fun fact: 3-D makes the film's resolution darker.
Actually, that's the theater's fault. The film itself is not darker, but the projector needs to be adjusted when showing a 3D film. Most theaters are too lazy/ignorant to set it up properly and the audience suffers as a result.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Charlie.

The other problem with 3-D is that I can probably count on one hand the number of times that the 3-D was even worth it for the movie. Avatar, of course. Maybe some of the Disney ones, like Toy Story or Lion King (I haven't seen them, so I can't say for sure; just going by what I heard). The majority of them? Rushed production on the 3-D part of it, shoehorning it in because of studio demands, usually done within a few weeks. Clash of the Titans is probably the best example of this.

Basically, there is absolutely no need for 3-D unless it actually adds to the film experience and/or is made specifically with the 3-D in mind (Tron, Avatar).

if a shitty movie is in 3D, it's still a shitty movie. If everything about a movie is shitty (oh hey clash of the titans), the 3D is gonna be shitty too!!!!!

SPOILER: the 3D is going to be shitty in Wrath of the Titans, feel free to see it and say 3D is bad always though

And my point is, Charlie, that 3-D is just an unnecessary gimmick that people are sick of being shoe-horned into getting. I didn't see Coraline in theatres because the only way I could see it was 3-D. Fuck that. I don't want to be forced to see 3-D and I don't want to have to pay the price of a 3-D movie, especially if it's not in 3-D.

Christ, we could turn a drinking game into the number of times 3-D is said here.

ElJuski

Staff member
It really boils down to this: if something to me is worth it, I'll pay the money to see it. If it doesn't, I won't. I've become much less of a movie-goer in recent years, which is coincidentally the recent years that 3D has become a "thing". If enough people still want to see 3D, though, it'll continue to be a thing. If they don't, it might not. Who knows.

Capitalism--it does stuff.

Kind of sounds like everyone is just either going "YEAHHUH" or "NUHHUH" at this point. I trust Charlie to know his shit, and I respect that. I think it just boils down to the fact I just don't care about the theater experience all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.