Do you identify as a feminist?

Do you identify as a feminist?

• Male: I identify as a radical feminist

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will use the wikipedia definition, knowing that "feminism" is a broad term.

Feminism refers to political, cultural, and economic movements seeking greater, equal, or, among a minority, superior rights and participation in society for women and girls. These rights and means of participation include legal protection and inclusion in politics, business, and scholarship, and recognition and building of women's cultures and power.
Now, I imagine people will say, "Of course I support equal rights for women," and I'll assume that a few of the people here do. I'm putting a finer point on the question by asking whether you identify as a feminist.

That is, do you have a vested intellectual or political interest in feminism? Is it something that shapes or guides your political or intellectual pursuits? Do you follow news related to feminist issues?

Here are your options. The poll will be split along gender lines.

I do not identify as a feminist - even if you support equal rights for women, you don't devote any special time or thought to women's issues - at least no more than you do any other issue. You would balk or feel uncomfortable labeling yourself a 'feminist' in conversation, and may not have a strong understanding of what feminism really entails.

I identify as a feminist - being a 'feminist' is a part of your personal ideology, and you would freely label yourself as such.

I identify as a radical feminist - you adhere to a branch of feminism that would be considered extreme or even controversial in normal society.

Dave

Staff member
This passage right here, "superior rights and participation in society for women and girls", means that anyone who identifies themselves with this definition of a feminist in my opinion is an idiot.

This passage right here, "superior rights and participation in society for women and girls", means that anyone who identifies themselves with this definition of a feminist in my opinion is an idiot.
These people are feminists the same way Phelps is a Republican and Osama is a Muslim.

I support the equal rights of women and the treatment of both sexes to be on the same playing field, but do not identify myself as a feminist.

Dave

Staff member
These people are feminists the same way Phelps is a Republican and Osama is a Muslim.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but as you are using this as your definition of the word to which you want to know our affiliation, the answer is and should always be "No."

Now, if the definition is for equality and the same rights for all I'm all for it. But using your definition you answer, it would be insane to agree.

These people are feminists the same way Phelps is a Republican and Osama is a Muslim.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but as you are using this as your definition of the word to which you want to know our affiliation, the answer is and should always be "No."

Now, if the definition is for equality and the same rights for all I'm all for it. But using your definition you answer, it would be insane to agree.[/QUOTE]

or, among a minority, superior rights and participation in society for women and girls.

I support the equal rights of women and the treatment of both sexes to be on the same playing field, but do not identify myself as a feminist.

↑ this[/QUOTE]
Puh-reaty much this, but I suppose according to the OP even though I've never personally thought of myself as one I suppose I do "identify" as one according to his options.
I suppose being the husband of a strong, successful woman who has had to deal with some very hard stuff in both the workplace and the military as well as someone who works almost completely with women they have taught me about what women deal with I value those relationships so much for that.. It has influenced very positively my work, my Masters thesis and assumed PhD work, my teaching and I suppose my life and the choices I make in general.

Now, if the definition is for equality and the same rights for all I'm all for it. But using your definition you answer, it would be insane to agree.[/QUOTE]

or, among a minority, superior rights and participation in society for women and girls.[/QUOTE]

Huh, so Charlie believes in oppressing minorities. Hypocrite. ;)

I would say I do identify myself as one. I actively support the success of female students and encourage them to break stereotypes (particularly with things like learning math and that science is hard for women). I don't follow an ideology or attend rallies or get riled up when people note pay disparities (hey, it is a complex issue) but I acknowledge that women are capable members of society in almost every conceivable way and adhere to that philosophy in my daily interactions.

In the sense how actively I assert it, I can't claim to be a feminist, though its undeniable how much the viewpoint has influenced my life and worldview in positive ways.

C

Chibibar

I personally believe equality across the board. I do not believe there should be any restriction base on gender, color of your skin, religion, sexual preference or ideology.

I think feminism is as dangerous as its counterpart. No extremes are right from my point of view. I believe in equal rights and opportunities only.

I believe in equal rights and opportunities only.
Surprise! that's feminism![/QUOTE]

Well there's a lot of controversy about what feminism literally means but let's not get so technical.
Believing in equal rights and opportunities isn't really feminism, the opposite (not believing in equity) would be sexist.

I'm not a Feminist, because I'm not only interested in the rights of women. When anyone asks, I always say I'm egalitarian (this does not make Feminists very happy, for some reason ;)). Everyone deserves a fair chance and respect, whether it's a woman wanting to be a fighter pilot or a man wanting to be a nurse. I'm not ignoring the fight for equality women have had -- I'm old enough to have seen the struggles women had with getting equal treatment and barely missed having to deal with it -- but Feminism seems to have turned from "equal rights for women" to "our way or the highway".

Some of the most misogynist people I've encountered have been Feminists (with a capital F). If you dare stray from The Feminist Way and, say, choose to stay at home to raise your children, you are automatically a worthless, stupid cow who has been brainwashed by the patriarchy. Feminism was supposed to open up choices to women, but apparently we just traded Chauvinists for Feminists telling us what we can and cannot do. Oh, yay. :rolleyes: They demonize traditionally female roles (such as nurses or secretaries): how is that "pro woman" in any way, shape or form? Why would they not try to stress the importance of these roles (just try having a hospital stay without good nurses!), so that either sex would be respected as a nurse or secretary? It's like how the radical Left and radical Right come full circle to the point you can't tell them apart: Chauvinists and Feminists can both be misogynist assholes (and the Feminists are often far more vicious about it, in my experience anyway.)

And I also support the baking of pies! My husband makes excellent pie. Which is good, because my pie crusts are barely edible! :lol:

Apparently I'm rude because I don't hold the door open for female soldiers the same rank as me or below. I've also been called a sexist because I believe that women and men should have to meet the same PT standards if they want to hold active combat jobs.

So I guess I'm not a feminist, because I believe in treating men and women equally when the situation demands it.

It's really annoying when people think the loud fringe parts of a group of people are representative of the whole.
You know what's even more annoying? When people are passive-aggressive and don't directly deal with whatever they have a problem with.

Considering the reactions I get to "I'm Egalitarian", it certainly does seem to be "our way or the highway". Feminism is no longer a goal to be accomplished, it's become a label as much as "Liberal" and "Conservative" to identify as a group, and if you are Other, you are considered suspect. It's even worse if you're a woman who "betrays the sisterhood". :rolleyes:

If you mean the second part, which part of "Some of the most misogynist people I've encountered are Feminists (with a capital F)" implies the whole group? I'm saying that this idea that Feminism is always "pro woman" is false, and some of the cruelest, most hateful misogynist crap I've ever experienced has come from Feminists. How does that make any sense, to claim to stand for the rights of women, yet spew bile at any woman who doesn't lock-step with your agenda? To claim that women have the right to choose their own destinies, but then sneer at them when they make a "wrong" choice?

To me, the whole group is being spoiled by some bad apples. Since the radicals use the label "Feminist", and that's also the stereotype, that's enough to poison the name for me. I do not at all want to be associated with that.

And the name is divisive anyway. It creates an "Us vs Them" mentality. If you truly believe in equal rights for every person, no matter what their sex or gender, then why use a label that only specifies females?

So I guess I'm not a feminist, because I believe in treating men and women equally when the situation demands it.
Yup, especially in the PT department. Only I think it should hold for jobs such as firefighting and the like as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.