Do you fear a nuclear apocalypse?

I was just thinking about that twitter post by that random American politician who was mocking my weak generation because we'd never lived under the threat of nuclear annihilation and the most I could muster is I don't care? I've lived through multiple economic disasters, a major pandemic, more proxy wars than anyone can shake a stick at and shit and I cannot fathom caring about something like a nuclear war at this point. If one happens I wouldn't be surprised but holy shit do I not care until it does. Being a millennial is weird. All news has been my entire adult life is war, famine, economic collapse, etc. Maybe it's just my own worsening nihilism about everything. Russia sabre-rattling nukes is the least of my concerns now that my provincial government has announced that along with skyrocketing utilities costs since they deregulated them a couple years ago, they're also raising my income taxes and threatening to steal whatever shitty pension I have.

Maybe a nuclear winter would be a QOL improvement.

I can't do anything about it, so not really. I presume we will get some kind of notification, so I'll hug my wife and kitty and wait.

Realizing things are outside my control is pretty freeing.

I've grown up with full knowledge that we are hurdling towards a climate crisis and the world leaders are 100% unwilling to do anything about it. So no, I don't fear any sort of apocalypse, it's more like wondering which one will eventually do us in. So knowing that those in power would literally rather have the world burn around them in the name of profits and power, all I can really do is try to improve the area immediately around me. So while it might sound like I have an apocalyptic viewpoint (and I fully consider myself a nihilist) I try to be kind and helpful to those around me, help people where I can, and more or less just try to make myself and those I care about and those I can affect happy and comfortable along the way.

Short answer: no.

More accurate answer: Despite being an end-of-the-Cold-War kid, I am more afraid of my American rights being stripped, my husband and child being attacked because racism, Biblical zealots, any zealots, slow environmental poisoning, gerrymandering, gun owners, unchecked misogyny, Covidiots,and the police, because all those things are happening right now.
Do I fear nuclear war? No, because if there is anything I have learned in my life, ESPECIALLY the last 6 years, is that nuclear war would destroy us all equally, and if there's something the rich and the powerful never, ever, ever, ever want more than anything else, it's for anyone to be treated equally. Nuclear war would make their money worthless and remove the lessers to lord over. They will bend backwards to avoid that.

Apparently, Trump wanted to drop a nuke on a few targets, such as North Korea.

If we didn't get nuclear war going with Trump at the helm, I don't see it happening with someone like Biden. I could maybe, MAYBE see Putin dropping a bomb on Ukraine if he doesn't get what he wants, but I don't see the rest of the world retaliating with even more nukes.

Yes. Life is comfortable and I wouldn't like trying to eek out a subsistence farming existence. Just sounds like a shit ton less fun.

No.

I don't think the generals and the actual people in charge of pressing the button would do it. Does Putin, trump, Biden and the rest want to use them? Of course. I think if it came down to it the people who know how bad of an idea it is will not do it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I live very close to a primary target. My end will be merciful and swift, sparing me the horror of post-nuclear survival.

If one happens I wouldn't be surprised but holy shit do I not care until it does.
I can't do anything about it, so not really. I presume we will get some kind of notification, so I'll hug my wife and kitty and wait.
Realizing things are outside my control is pretty freeing.
I've made it a policy not to worry about things I cannot influence. Like Krisken says, it's very freeing.

--Patrick

Yes. If I'm going to fear something, it's going to be this. This is not a movie trailer, it is an actual recruitment video.

"Psyops 4 is encouraging anyone with an affinity for conspiracy theories to apply for the position of thought police er, our special Army division devoted to clandestine manipulation of the public eye."

--Patrick

Oh, and when will video makers learn that you shouldn't run a film backwards when there's a campfire in it? It sticks out right away.

--Patrick