Discussion Topic: Authors & Opinions

So Kurt Busiek brought up a topic on Twitter: he read an article positing that authors should keep their political opinions to themselves, especially on social media. Because it could mean losing sales. Which he thinks is bull. He doesn't think writers - and other creative types - should fear their audience.

He has a point. I personally prefer following writers like Busiek (or Mark Waid) who aren't afraid to be themselves. I've seen so many other writers on social media who just go on and on about their work or writing. And that's ALL they talk about. Nothing about the latest news, or movie or TV show, or a book they're reading. Just a constant barrage of "BUY MY BOOK!"

As for losing an audience, I feel like it'd be a small drop in the bucket compared to the people who will still buy their work. For example, I've mentioned before that I don't want to support Orson Scott Card not just because of his opinion on the LGBT community, but that he's on a committee actively fighting legalized same-sex marriage. Unlike some others, though, I don't go out of my way to attack him or make him afraid to continue his work or say his opinions. I just don't support his work. There are plenty of other books out there that it's no skin off my back. I'd rather spend my time catching up on Mickey Spillane, Jim Butcher, Terry Pratchett, and other great writers.

On the other hand, I still enjoy Tom Cruise's work despite that he's the face of Scientology. He's a great actor, and yet there's that ugliness of what Scientology is and the many stories told by people that escaped from that. But I also don't know how much of that he has a personal hand in or how much he's just a spokesperson or front man.

The only time I can think of a writer who might have lost his audience because of his political opinions is Frank Miller. His early work with Batman and Daredevil are to this day still praised by most. But in his later work, like 300 and Holy Terror, his political opinions encroached more and more into it. He's obviously still a successful writer/artist, but I don't think it compares to his heyday. Of course, unlike OSC, his political views greatly inform his work. From what I understand, OSC's homophobia or other views don't inform his work.

Then again, Miller also said he voted for Hilary, so I'm really not sure.

Last edited:
If we were all worried about people keeping their creativity "safe," we wouldn't have people like Russell Brand, Mick Jagger, Banksy, Stephen Fry, etc.

--Patrick

I won't watch anything with Tom Cruise anymore. Mostly because of the Scientology thing, but also just because I don't like much of anything he's ever done. The same for John Travolta, except more that I think he's irritating. I almost don't want to ever rewatch the Punisher because he's in it.

As for authors and politics, the only time I've been put off by one of them spouting their politics would be Heinlein. I like his earlier works, but I can't bear to read his books once he became a batshit crazy Libertarian misogynist, and let that crap invade his work.

But I don't think authors, etc. should avoid talking politics if they want to. They do run the risk of alienating fans, but they also might pick up a following, too. I guess, it's do what you're comfortable doing.

I think if I'd gotten to the top without talking politics - If I was Stephen King or Taylor Swift, say - then I'd probably keep going without talking politics. Because why bother? They don't need no extra validation.

Because frankly, that's mostly what I think talking politics is about - getting people to know you and your thoughts, to find validation in people finding your thoughts worth agreeing with or arguing.

So Kurt Busiek brought up a topic on Twitter: he read an article positing that authors should keep their political opinions to themselves, especially on social media. Because it could mean losing sales. Which he thinks is bull. He doesn't think writers - and other creative types - should fear their audience.

He has a point. I personally prefer following writers like Busiek (or Mark Waid) who aren't afraid to be themselves. I've seen so many other writers on social media who just go on and on about their work or writing. And that's ALL they talk about. Nothing about the latest news, or movie or TV show, or a book they're reading. Just a constant barrage of "BUY MY BOOK!"

As for losing an audience, I feel like it'd be a small drop in the bucket compared to the people who will still buy their work. For example, I've mentioned before that I don't want to support Orson Scott Card not just because of his opinion on the LGBT community, but that he's on a committee actively fighting legalized same-sex marriage. Unlike some others, though, I don't go out of my way to attack him or make him afraid to continue his work or say his opinions. I just don't support his work. There are plenty of other books out there that it's no skin off my back. I'd rather spend my time catching up on Mickey Spillane, Jim Butcher, Terry Pratchett, and other great writers.

On the other hand, I still enjoy Tom Cruise's work despite that he's the face of Scientology. He's a great actor, and yet there's that ugliness of what Scientology is and the many stories told by people that escaped from that. But I also don't know how much of that he has a personal hand in or how much he's just a spokesperson or front man.

The only time I can think of a writer who might have lost his audience because of his political opinions is Frank Miller. His early work with Batman and Daredevil are to this day still praised by most. But in his later work, like 300 and Holy Terror, his political opinions encroached more and more into it. He's obviously still a successful writer/artist, but I don't think it compares to his heyday. Of course, unlike OSC, his political views greatly inform his work. From what I understand, OSC's homophobia or other views don't inform his work.

Then again, Miller also said he voted for Hilary, so I'm really not sure.
If losing sales due to public opinion is a big concern, then authors will have to shut up about everything, not just politics. I avoided OSC long before his politics became public. I read his book on writing Sci-Fi & Fantasy and he wouldn't shut up with the dissing on Star Trek. It came across as bitter and very unprofessional, and it certainly didn't make me want to run out and buy his works. Later, his active campaigning against marriage equality just ensured I will never give him money.

Just like anyone else, it's up to the individual author to weigh making political/opinion statements vs. the risk of losing customers. The author knows their own audience best. When I was more active on social media, I always enjoyed reading Neil Gaiman's posts, which were mostly non-writing posts.

The only people who seem to need to keep their opinions to themselves are the people writing articles telling authors to keep their opinions to themselves. :awesome:

I think they see it as a risk/reward thing. If the risk of losing potential audiences is not worth what they'd get for speaking their mind, then they're going to self-censor. Of course, there could be rewards for speaking frankly about their views too, such as picking up new fans or gaining respect. It's up to each creator to judge for themselves if it's worth the risk.

One example that immediately comes to mind is Jackie Chan. He's an outspoken supporter of China and the CCP, which has earned him more fans in the Mainland, but has lowered his popularity in Hong Kong and Taiwan, as well as possibly in the west for some people. Was it worth it for him? I think he'd probably say yes.

A little aside.

Somehow, I'm still cheering for Tom Brady even though he voted for Donald Trump. Well, he almost certainly voted Trump. He was talking about his support for Trump during the election, and he promised some radio DJ (or someone like that) that he'd reveal who he voted for afterwards.

But his wife convinced him to shut up about politics, so we will never know for sure.