Diomedes' Dental Surgery

Welp, here we go. I'm finally breaking down and attempting to crowd-source funding for Diomedes.

On the bright side, I spoke with someone at Income Assistance today. He couldn't guarantee it, but he said if I provide as much documentation as possible (receipts and such), then this campaign shouldn't affect my application.

So...here we go. Feel free to share this around social media spaces if you'd like.

https://www.youcaring.com/diomedespiers-868414

Welp, here we go. I'm finally breaking down and attempting to crowd-source funding for Diomedes.

On the bright side, I spoke with someone at Income Assistance today. He couldn't guarantee it, but he said if I provide as much documentation as possible (receipts and such), then this campaign shouldn't affect my application.

So...here we go. Feel free to share this around social media spaces if you'd like.

https://www.youcaring.com/diomedespiers-868414
Signal boosted. :D

(ETA: Get it on tumblr and I'll signal boos the crap outta that, too.)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, station director makes a really good living. Or he really likes cats, I guess.
Or he recently came into a little bit of money and, yeah, likes cats, and knows what it is to be worried about your cat's health.[DOUBLEPOST=1499378548,1499378519][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, it's...seriously amazing. I wasn't sure if @GasBandit wanted the acknowledgement, but screw it. He's getting the well-deserved acknowledgement. I'm beyond grateful.
You're welcome. Hope it goes well and Diomedes gets better.

...holy shit.

Okay, um, what should I do now? My mother thinks I should close it down since I raised what I needed. But I don't know if this is all I'll need. The $1200 was a ballpark estimate for just the surgery. I don't know how much, say, antibiotics or things like that might cost.

Should I close it up?

...holy shit.

Okay, um, what should I do now? My mother thinks I should close it down since I raised what I needed. But I don't know if this is all I'll need. The $1200 was a ballpark estimate for just the surgery. I don't know how much, say, antibiotics or things like that might cost.

Should I close it up?
I say leave it open. It clearly states what you've raised and what you were shooting for. If anyone chooses to throw in some extra, they can.

Leave it open, just in case you lowballed the estimate. Plus, it gives people who don't get paid until tomorrow a chance to chip in.

Welp, he's scheduled for the 18th. She said he might need more than 2 tooth extractions, but there's no way to tell until he's under and they start clearing off the tartar.

Bright side? There are no additional costs for blood work, checking his heart, etc. And keeping him over night after the procedure is part of the original estimate.

Keep us posted. I feel bad for not contributing, but I just paid my parents back last week about half what I owe them and my mad money tank needs to refill.

--Patrick

Thank you. One amazing person donated FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS. I feel like they accidentally typoed.
Or he recently came into a little bit of money and, yeah, likes cats, and knows what it is to be worried about your cat's health.[DOUBLEPOST=1499378548,1499378519][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're welcome. Hope it goes well and Diomedes gets better.
That was very nice of you, Gas.[DOUBLEPOST=1499401755][/DOUBLEPOST]
Welp, he's scheduled for the 18th. She said he might need more than 2 tooth extractions, but there's no way to tell until he's under and they start clearing off the tartar.

Bright side? There are no additional costs for blood work, checking his heart, etc. And keeping him over night after the procedure is part of the original estimate.
The only reason I haven't contributed is you hit your goal and I don't want to accidentally mess up you income assistance.

So if you wind up needing more for Diomedes, make sure you say something.

I just locked it up for the same reasons. Still extraordinary that I raised $1,400 in such a short time. It's...kind of bewildering, really.

So some news on the income assistance front: I'm already making too much. They give about $400 a month and I'm making more than twice that with this job. Which still isn't much, but yeah.

I still might be able to take advantage of their medical benefits program, for discounts on my meds.

So I thought I deactivated the fundraiser this morning. But then another donation went through.

Goddammit, at this rate, I could turn Diomedes into a full-on cyborg.

This was clearly his plan all along for world domination.

Thanks guys. Your generosity has brought about the destruction of the world as we know it.

So I thought I deactivated the fundraiser this morning. But then another donation went through.

Goddammit, at this rate, I could turn Diomedes into a full-on cyborg.

This was clearly his plan all along for world domination.

Thanks guys. Your generosity has brought about the destruction of the world as we know it.

Diomedes, probably.

Well, you know, four feet, tail, snake like... I'm not even quite sure she's realized someone has picked her pockets yet.

I got this e-mail from the vet today. I'll leave shortly to go pick him up. Honestly, my heart sunk reading this message. I had no idea it was this bad. I feel awful. :(

"Good morning!
I am so glad that Diomedes was able to have his teeth dealt with he has a severe case of feline oral resorptive lesions which is why you were noticing his teeth falling out. This is a condition that affects 50% of cats at some point in their lives. Your boy has a pretty severe case of it with only his little front incisors on the top and bottom and the very back 6 teeth in his mouth (2 on each side up top and 1 on each side on the bottom) that are not affected. All his other teeth are affected. What happens is that his body starts to chew away at the teeth under the gum line and the teeth develop holes in them deep enough to expose the nerve root of the tooth which causes pain. Some of his teeth (or what was left of them) were so sensitive that even under anesthesia he would flinch when the tooth cavity was touched with the metal probe. These teeth that are being resorbed need to be removed to stop the discomfort. Many of his teeth have broken off leaving behind some of the tooth root that is being resorbed. Any of these teeth that had left behind painful roots were treated tonight too.
We had to remove both his lower canine teeth and also his left lower premolar. We removed some roots from 3 other teeth in his mouth that had broken at some point. He will have a few days of recovery, but once everything heals up he should feel much better!
We will need to send him home with some pain medication due to the type of dental disease he has and the number of teeth we had to extract. He will be all set to go home at 8 am this morning."

I got this e-mail from the vet today. I'll leave shortly to go pick him up. Honestly, my heart sunk reading this message. I had no idea it was this bad. I feel awful. :(
Yikes, that sounds very, very horrible for him.

Fortunately, it seems the vet's been able to deal with the issues, so things should be looking up from now on, right?

Yikes, that sounds very, very horrible for him.

Fortunately, it seems the vet's been able to deal with the issues, so things should be looking up from now on, right?
From all accounts, I may see a side of Diomedes I haven't seen in a long time. Who knows how long this pain has affected him or his behaviour.