[Brazelton] Ding Dongs, Twinkies, and all things Snack Cake - we salute you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's do the math.

Assume the judge says that x% of all sale proceeds go to investors, and (100-x)% go to employee benefits.

If we assume the sale proceeds will be greater with the existing executives by more than their bonus, then the employee benefits will be greater having paid the bonuses than they would if they used the bonuses to pay off the investors and employees.

If we assume the sale proceeds won't change without the executives, then the company should ditch the execs and use that bonus money to pay their investors and employees.

So it still comes down to the company convincing the bankruptcy judge that the sales will be more profitable, by at least the amount of the bonuses, with the executives than without.

The judge will NOT favor the employees over other creditors and investors - they are merely another group of creditors for the bankruptcy proceeding, and under no circumstances could they get rid of the executives and shuttle all of the bonus money toward just one of the company's creditors/investors.

Keep in mind that a lot of the creditors are other companies who are also supporting their employees, and a lot of the investors are banks who have put other people's retirement savings into portfolios that contain hostess stock. You can't simply put the employees ahead of everyone else.

You know, I wonder at times what Jim Henson would have thought of his influence on the world and how muppets and muppet-alikes have permeated everything. (He'd probably think it was pretty darn awesome)

Twinkies are coming back July 15th:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/24/news/companies/twinkies-return/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The announcement was made by Daren Metropoulos, principal of Metropoulos & Co., one of the two companies that bought the rights to Twinkies and other snack brands from the bankrupt Hostess Brands earlier this year.

The new Twinkies box will look very similar to the old one, with the addition of the line "The sweetest comeback in the history of ever." The price will stay the same as last fall when Hostess shut down - $3.99 for a box of 10. Other products will also come back with the same pricing.

"America wanted Hostess back -- they wanted the original," said Metropoulos.

The new company will sell all of the Hostess and Dolly Madison branded snack products, including CupCakes, Donettes, Zingers, Ho Hos, Ding Dongs, fruit pies and mini muffins. Some products, such as Sno Balls, will take a little longer to return to shelves, but they should be available within the next few months.

Other Hostess brands, including Wonder Bread and Drake's snack cakes, have been sold to other firms. Details of their return have yet to be announced.

It's Monday! Today is the official release of all your favorite snacks back to the snack racks.
You may again enjoy your Twinkie-weiner sandwiches if you so desire.

--Patrick

TIL: Hostess changed the twinkies recipe just weeks before shutdown. The new recipe extends the shelf life of twinkies by two weeks. The new twinkies are following the new recipe, so today's twinkies will last longer than last years twinkies, all of which are now well past their expiration date.

I actually tried a fruit pie from the company that was making them while Hostess was gone... they were tons better. Like serious... just a ton better. Fruit and glaze were delicious, while the crust itself wasn't a single block of over-glazed sugar like the old hostess ones. I hope the Hostess ones don't come back because I like these ones better.

As an adult I can't eat much of their stuff anymore anyway. Way too sweet. But as a kid I would eat any of them, in whatever quantity they were available. But most of their cake products have an aftertaste for me that isn't delightful.

Swiss Cake Rolls are far superior to their Ho Hos anyway.

But you could never really replace their twinkie, and I still have one every few years just because I forget that their deliciousness is essentially a childhood illusion I haven't yet come to fully accept.

I know. I had 3 or 4 huge trailer loads, ready to use for cornering the market until Hostess turned around and brought them back, damn them.
But the point is, stienman, I don't have them here. I don't have them here!

For those keeping score, 2 Twinkie snack cakes have more calories than a 20oz bottle of Coke (EDIT: Or a Clif bar).
Also more beef fat.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.