[Brazelton] Ding Dongs, Twinkies, and all things Snack Cake - we salute you

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bright side, it looks like some people are going to make money off of this, at least. eBay has lit up with Hostess auctions, and some people are even willing to bid $7500.00 for some of the auctions.

Yes it is. Sadly, this world has no shortage of ridiculous people. But at least no one had bid on the $21M auction of twinkies and cupcakes.

figmentPez

Staff member
There is no way that we make it to 2013 without Twinkies being made again. The name is too iconic, too much a part of Americana, for that name to go unused. Someone will buy the name and start producing the product. It won't be the first time a big name went under and sold the name off. I'm trying to remember specific cases, but the names are eluding me at the moment.

There is no way that we make it to 2013 without Twinkies being made again. The name is too iconic, too much a part of Americana, for that name to go unused. Someone will buy the name and start producing the product. It won't be the first time a big name went under and sold the name off. I'm trying to remember specific cases, but the names are eluding me at the moment.
It happens with cars all the time. Thunderbird. I remember when the Latrobe Brewing company was sold, and Rolling Rock beer continued under Anheuser-Busch

Americans, if you can find them, try cadburys minirolls. Far, FAR superior.
Whenever anyone states that anything Cadbury is superior to any other product, I have to assume that either the other produt is made up mostly of manure and transfats, or that the person in question has no taste.
Lucky for you, I've eaten a twinkie once, too. It's clearly the first option. Still, Cadbury is crappy crappy crap, too.

Whats your take on Lindt chocolate?
I'm technically supposed to dislike it, since it's Swiss. But Lindt is amongst the best of the widely available chocolates. I've tasted better in small expensive chocolatier places, but from a supermarket or for general availability coupled with taste, you can't really beat them.
For making desserts, though, you're really far better off using Belgian chocolate over Swiss chocolate. They really are different.

And today there's a story carried by CNBC that Sun Capitol may buy at least some of the Hostess brands. Looks like Hostess is going to get paid, one way or another. It's just their employees who are up shit creek without a hammer.

It's just their employees who are up shit creek without a hammer.
It will be difficult for them to sell the company off without also selling some of the retirement benefits they currently claim they can't pay.

But I'm sure they'll figure out some loophole or another...

Yeah, I really don't know anything about bankruptcy laws and regulations, so I have no idea how the sale of the brands is going to affect the outstanding benefits payments or anything like that.

They still won't reopen their plants and make more product, though.
No, but the unions and lawyers would make a ton of money.

The workers would still lose out, but the union is only using them as a poster child, otherwise no one cares about them any longer.

Just how many critters do you have now Emrys? You were crawling already when Dirona and I made a visit a while back.
12 doomweasels and 4 cats but no wolverines or fishers. I'm going to have to rent them to enforce my Hostess smuggling business.

Hostess seeks approval to pay executives $1.8M in bonuses.

Hostess Brands Inc. is asking for a judge's approval to give its top executives bonuses totaling up to $1.8 million as part of its wind-down plans.
The maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Ho Hos says the incentive pay is needed to retain the 19 corporate officers and "high-level managers" during the liquidation process, which could take about a year. Two of those executives would be eligible for additional rewards depending on how efficiently they carry out the liquidation. The bonuses would be in addition to their regular pay.
The bonuses do not include pay for CEO Gregory Rayburn, who was brought on as a restructuring expert earlier this year. Rayburn is being paid $125,000 a month.
Maybe we should be rethinking some of our business practices, hmm? The current executives did a poor enough job that their company is going out of business and 18,000 jobs have been lost; but the company wants approval from the bankruptcy court judge to pay those same executives another almost $2 million so that they'll stick around while the company shuts down. Who the hell thinks this shit up?!

Arguably the executives will leave if they have no incentive to stay at a dying company. The deals that will be made to slice and dice the company can be significantly less lucrative without their contacts and wheeling and dealing.

They will be trying to sell various brands for hundreds of millions of dollars, and there are hungry predatory companies waiting to grab a deal if they can pull it off.

Without a good executive that can work out these deals, they will lose much, much more than a few million dollars, and the bankruptcy judge is not going to dismiss this request as frivolous.

My question? How many people could they pay out the retirement benefits for if they used that cash for that instead of paying executive bonuses... executives who have already proven themselves to be entirely useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.