[Question] Demographics: Mental illness

How would you describe your relationship with mental illness?

• I am being treated for a mental illness, including medication

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I am being treated for a mental illness without medication

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have previously been treated for a mental illness, including medication

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I have previously been treated for a mental illness without medication

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I suspect I have a mental illness, but have not been diagnosed

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I have a family history of mental illness, but have not been diagnosed myself

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I've never been diagnosed with a mental illness, and do not expect I would be if tested now

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I am in a maze of twisty passages, all alike, and I like it

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Odds are pretty high that I have some combination of mild autism/ADD, but I've never actually brought it up to a doctor.

I have been treated in the past for depression, and am currently being treated for General Panic Disorder - and thank all that is good and holy that I am.

Major depression/anxiety. Was anorexic in the past. Have always had issues with body image and sense of self. Severe doomweaselitis.

Yeah, I'm a hot mess.

Cajungal

Staff member
There's depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, and schizophrenia in my family. I went through a period of discovery regarding my family history after my aunt killed herself. It made me scared about what might happen to me. So far I'm fine, and my parents often say that I'm the most effective in the family when it comes to communicating and managing my feelings.

Father: Depression, Bipolar, OCD, hoarding tendencies, anxiety disorder.
Mother: Depression, other vague problems that are probably damage from when she was critically ill rather than inborn conditions.
Sister: Bipolar at least.

I'm generally fine except for general feelings of worthlessness, unease, anxiety, get stuck in ruts, have a very hard time getting rid of anything, binge-ing, and occasionally I have auditory or olfactory hallucinations. You know, just normal stuff.

No family history other than my mother's schizophrenia.
She's on meds. She usually takes them all like she's supposed to.
I've had ADHD and was treated from age 8-11 I think? I still think I would benefit from treatment now, but good luck convincing a doctor that you need treatment for a "kids' disease." Fortunately it looks like more people are open to believing that this is a real thing so I may finally be able to have that addressed some time within my lifetime.

--Patrick

Situational Depression and some form of ADD/ADHD, along with cripplingly low self-esteem and self-worth (tied with depression, but I feel that even when I'm in better spirits).

But you guys pretty much know - or have experienced (sorry) - what I go through.

Situational Depression and some form of ADD/ADHD, along with cripplingly low self-esteem and self-worth (tied with depression, but I feel that even when I'm in better spirits).

But you guys pretty much know - or have experienced (sorry) - what I go through.
Your pain is our pain, cheri. We've got your back.

Generalized Anxiety disorder, chronic depression, chronic insomnia and in a family with a history of mental illness. Diagnosed but I no longer need medication though... I was weened off about ten years ago.

I am currently having a minor psychotic episode over the lack of a grue option. Yes, there's a twisty passage option, but it's not the same.

I am currently having a minor psychotic episode over the lack of a grue option. Yes, there's a twisty passage option, but it's not the same.
People are being serious and open about their mental problems here. Maybe joking about having a psychotic episode's not a great idea, hm?

People are being serious and open about their mental problems here. Maybe joking about having a psychotic episode's not a great idea, hm?
You're right, that was highly insensitive of me. I apologize.

For my part, I used to take medication for chronic depression.

I'm not sure how to answer the poll so I haven't yet. With my health issues and severe chronic pain, I don't see how that wouldn't impact my mental health.

I do have some anti-anxiety medication that I've been given to help me deal with flares of one of my auto-immune conditions.

Generalized anxiety disorder which has been in remission for about a year. Depression which seems to be digging in its heels. I had postpartum depression after I had Noah, but my ob/gyn told me to get over it. I had suicidal thoughts due to a hormone imbalance when I was in my 20s which thankfully cleared up when I went on a different pill. I also threatened suicide a few times between the ages of 11 and 17 and was a borderline anorexic when I was 12-13.

It's surprising, but I'm pretty sure I've developed SAD since I moved up here.

It doesn't sound like a move of a few hundred miles would make a difference, but the amount of light we get up here is noticeably different than what it was down in the Milwaukee area.

I've got a Light Therapy lamp on the way to try out while I'm on vacation next week.

I've been debating posting about all of my ailments, but I don't know if I should? It feels weird. I'm afraid of coming off wrong.

It's interesting because I actually think depression and other issues of that nature are quite common. I hope everyone here eventually gets to good places in their life and gets the help they want or need. =^^=

I've been debating posting about all of my ailments, but I don't know if I should? It feels weird. I'm afraid of coming off wrong.

It's interesting because I actually think depression and other issues of that nature are quite common. I hope everyone here eventually gets to good places in their life and gets the help they want or need. =^^=
You, problems? But you look great!

I'm just riffing off this post. I don't mean to imply pretty people can't have problems, or anything else, seriously. Can't help myself with bad jokes.

I'm just riffing off this post. I don't mean to imply pretty people can't have problems, or anything else, seriously. Can't help myself with bad jokes.
Haha, it's okay. =^^= I got the reference, I'm not offended.

It generally surprises people when I talk about the issues that I've had and some that I still have.

There is a fantastic website called But you don't look sick and it describes this so well.

And by no means was my coworker saying I looked good as in pretty, but good as in not sick.

Currently being treated: depression [incl. self harm] (the antidepressants I'm on are technically for my chronic nerve pain, but hey, 2-for-1!, and therapy), anxiety (meds for that as needed)
Dr. suspects I have: bi-polar
Past history: depression (diagnosed and medicated and therapied), anxiety (hospitalized, but never diagnosed), eating disorder (medically encouraged)
Family history: nothing diagnosed, but my mom totally has chronic depression but refuses to seek treatment, also a family history of addictions.

Non-mental issues: 2 chronic illnesses, neither one well controlled despite treatment and testing.

And 'but you don't look sick'/spoon theory is fabulous.

I dunno, telling someone they look good (outside of this context and so on) isn't necessarily pervy. Telling them they're jaw-droppingly gorgeous and you want to lick the ground they walk, on, possibly. But really, I need to stop making bad jokes in this thread, dammit.