[Rant] Dead Video Card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope. My 2 year old EVGA GTS 450 just crapped out. It could be a more serious issue, one of the capacitors on the MOBO looks like it might be swollen, not popped. I can not afford a new computer for another year. :(

Your motherboard is going to die soon too, then. Make sure all your fans are clean and running well, and keep things away from all the vents on the computer to extend its life as much as possible.

Also, BACKUP. At least if you can get the video going again.

Also, BACKUP. At least if you can get the video going again.
There's even a chance there's nothing wrong with the card, depending on which board capacitor has swollen. For instance, if it's one of the power stages feeding the GPU slot, your card could be fine.
You may want to contact the guy over at badcaps.net for a potentially less-expensive fix (if that mobo capacitor is the only issue).

--Patrick

The video card was fine. The MOBO was cutting off the video... I had a junker computer my brother wanted me to fix. But it was not worth the cost of a power supply. However, my power supply is compatible. Now I am using a newer, weaker computer. Now I just hope this lasts me until a year and a half.

Well, if you ever drop by southeast michigan, I'll replace the bad capacitors for you. Would probably fix the problem...

I ought to research and see if I can swap the processors. But it will not likely matter for the over all performance, because the memory bus is slower on this computer. i.e. memory is the slowest feature on this PC even though I brought the memory over from my old PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.