[PC Game] Dave Streams Games

Dave

Staff member
Okay thanks to Gas I now have a decent stream capability. I finally got it completely set up last night. I played PUBG and discovered I didn't know when someone was typing, so I fixed that.

So this thread will be my mirror to @GasBandit 's. Unlike Gas's, mine will start strong and then peter out as I lose interest in the backswing.

So, without further ado...my second ever game of PUBG.

[DOUBLEPOST=1514820820,1514820588][/DOUBLEPOST]At the end of that game I said I was getting of but needed to get an IRC overlay that allows me to know when someone typed in a message. So I did. And then I had to test it out & played for another hour and a half.

One question. Do I need to upgrade my stream quality? I read somewhere to tone it down for those who can't stream that high of resolution, but I think it looks like ass. Would it really stop that many people from watching any more?

Okay thanks to Gas I now have a decent stream capability. I finally got it completely set up last night. I played PUBG and discovered I didn't know when someone was typing, so I fixed that.

So this thread will be my mirror to @GasBandit 's. Unlike Gas's, mine will start strong and then peter out as I lose interest in the backswing.

So, without further ado...my second ever game of PUBG.

[DOUBLEPOST=1514820820,1514820588][/DOUBLEPOST]At the end of that game I said I was getting of but needed to get an IRC overlay that allows me to know when someone typed in a message. So I did. And then I had to test it out & played for another hour and a half.

One question. Do I need to upgrade my stream quality? I read somewhere to tone it down for those who can't stream that high of resolution, but I think it looks like ass. Would it really stop that many people from watching any more?
Well, it will be unwatchable for people without good internet, and there's a cap on bitrate for anyone who isn't an affiliate or higher anyways.

Dave

Staff member
So keep it low is what you are saying. Damn. It just looks like shit on my computer.

So keep it low is what you are saying. Damn. It just looks like shit on my computer.
Uh, are you throttling the quality from OBS or are you lowering your actual in game graphics? Because you really only *need* to do it on OBS.[DOUBLEPOST=1514824813,1514824648][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, seeing you using your camera, maybe I'll put my green screen back up and use mine tonight. :p

Dave

Staff member
Uh, are you throttling the quality from OBS or are you lowering your actual in game graphics? Because you really only *need* to do it on OBS.[DOUBLEPOST=1514824813,1514824648][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, seeing you using your camera, maybe I'll put my green screen back up and use mine tonight. :p
I'm lowering in OBS only. Just when I watch the replays they look awful. And I do love my little PiP. I only wish the text overlay was working. It WAS working until I put on the PiP so I think they don't like each other.

And let me know what time you are playing. This will be fun!

I'm lowering in OBS only. Just when I watch the replays they look awful. And I do love my little PiP. I only wish the text overlay was working. It WAS working until I put on the PiP so I think they don't like each other.

And let me know what time you are playing. This will be fun!
Can you screen cap your main OBS page? Everything is a layer, so you probably stuck it under something.

Dave

Staff member
I had it under the screen cap in the loading area. So maybe when I moved it up that'll do the trick.

1-1-2018 10-57-49 AM.png

Dave

Staff member
First game of the new year. Got my second kill.

[DOUBLEPOST=1514826680,1514826599][/DOUBLEPOST]And I nearly got my shit bombed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had it under the screen cap in the loading area. So maybe when I moved it up that'll do the trick.

Yeah, you needed to move it up. I'd put it all the way at the top.

Also, I'd use Game Capture instead of window capture, the performance is generally better.

As for your stream's quality, remember that unless you are a Partner, twitch limits your bandwidth to 3 megabit. That means you're really gonna be limited for quality. I've found the best balance of getting the most out of that low limit is to:
  1. Under settings/Output, set the video bitrate to 3500 (which is technically 500 over the limit, but I've been doing that all along and twitch hasn't busted me yet...), and make sure you're using an appropriate encoder (I use NVENC because I have an Nvidia graphics card)
  2. Under settings/Video, set base canvas resolution to your actual resolution (probably 1920x1080) but then set your output scaled resolution to 1280x720. This downsamples your stream to 720p, which will help squeeze the most quality into it, and you'll get less compression artifacts, which is what I think you were complaining about in your video. I use Bicubic filter, and I set the FPS to 60. I find that framerate trumps resolution in this situation, it makes everything look much more pleasant. If you really want to, though, you can set it to 30, which will let your encoder have twice the bandwidth to improve the individual frame quality, but I think 60 just looks better, even with a few more artifacts.
Also bear in mind that, because of the low bandwidth ceiling set by twitch for us plebes, it's never going to be as crystal clear as the big streamers have, and so the nature of heavy compression will always screw us in certain ways. Low-light areas are particularly prone to compression artifacting, and red lettering on black background will always look smudged to illegibility. That's just the way it is.

Dave

Staff member
Other than the game capture, I have everything set to those settings. After I get back from Walmart, I'll give it another try.

Yes FPS trumps resolution. 720@60 is plenty, and you can easily fit 720p@60fps in 2500bps if you’re using H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I just streamed an hour and a half of an empty room while I went to Walmart. And then I ate lunch. And then was showing my daughter my last match when we saw it was STILL STREAMING! Yeah. That video has been deleted.

I just streamed an hour and a half of an empty room while I went to Walmart. And then I ate lunch. And then was showing my daughter my last match when we saw it was STILL STREAMING! Yeah. That video has been deleted.
You should at least make sure your coffeemaker is in the shot.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Dave Plays PUBG. In this episode, Dave gets a kill in the first game and then TWO in the second. I was so overwhelmed I logged off just to watch the video.

Dave

Staff member
Next game: Another 2 kill outing. Then I got hung up on firing at vehicles and a dude popped me from behind. Oh, and I discovered that I had been playing on the ASIA server...

Dave

Staff member
Thought you guys might find this interesting:

But because this is the Dave Streams thread...here's me getting run over by a bang bus. (Jump to 28:30 and be sure to watch the kill cam afterwards.)

Thought you guys might find this interesting:

But because this is the Dave Streams thread...here's me getting run over by a bang bus. (Jump to 28:30 and be sure to watch the kill cam afterwards.)

You need to learn how to make highlights. :x The function is built into Twitch from your video manager.

Dave

Staff member
I drove a vehicle for the first time last night. A motorcycle. I got the hang of it pretty quickly once I learned I needed to keep the windshield in my field of vision. I then got my only kill of the night, failed to swap weapons (I didn't notice it didn't swap) and then died trying to loot someone else.

Highlights are cool!

Dave

Staff member
Last night I had a video shoot for a comedy class and when I came home I noticed another "Dave's not here" post. Huh. I KNOW I didn't start a stream. And just now I was sitting and reading an article online - NOT TOUCHING THE KEYBOARD - and I saw that my stream started up. I just happened to catch it out of the corner of my eye and watched it go from "Start Streaming" to "Stop Streaming".

Guess I can't leave my OBS up or it'll decide when I'm online.[DOUBLEPOST=1515104764,1515104177][/DOUBLEPOST]And it's my fault. I DID touch the keyboard. I have the on/off set at Home & End. Guess what I use to navigate within web pages & online articles? Yup. I do it so much I didn't even realize that I'd messed with the keyboard.

USER ERROR!!

Do you wanna play some PUBG?
Come one let's go and slay
I never snipe you anymore
Come on out the door
It's like you're blown away
We used to be battle buddies
And now we're shot
I wish you would all just die!
Do you wanna play some PUBG?
It doesn't have to be some PUBG...

Do you wanna grab a shotgun