Dating the Best Friend

My wife of over 16 years knows I'm on here - she knows it's a nerd-based forum and I periodically talk about things I see on here to her. She's not a huge nerd, but does like anime. Like Dave's wife, she's more of a "Facebook" person.

As for relationship advice for you - and, heck, for everyone in some sort of relationship, enjoy the "new-ness" of the relationship - even when it's not "new" anymore. Always be "dating" even if things in the future go beyond "just dating."

One thing that I personally do is I will just randomly buy my wife flowers - she loves flowers, so I get them just because I can or want to, which can be a surprise to her or I have her pick them out. I also don't just buy cut flowers - she loves to try to grow them too. I don't just get them for special occasions or holidays - it's something that just makes her happy or picks up her mood.

Another other thing - you are two different people who don't have entirely the same interests. That is fine - each of you can have your own "thing" to do, as people do need their own "me" time to remain mentally healthy. It's not in exclusion of the other - there's "together time" and "me time" needed in said relationship.

A final piece of advice (for now) - always communicate with each other - life is hard and relationships are hard (sometimes harder). The more you can communicate, in good times and bad, the more you can get though the hard times in either one.

I kept reading this as "two of you guys are fucking hilarious" and I was desperately trying to determine which two she was referring to.
Well, Nick is hopefully one of them.
Mmmaybe GasBandit is sure doesn't realize he doesn't make the memes. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Back to the topic at hand, super glad you're in a good place right now Nick.
I'm not sure "a good place" is a great nickname, we don't know if they're quite there yet, and I'm not sure it's appropriate to make that kind of jokes already if she's just new here, Sheesh.

... Yeah, let's agree I'm definitely not the other funny one. :awesome:

(sorry, I'm bad at bad jokes)

Me. I'm the other one. But I always delete the funny thing before I post it.
No, me! I'm funny Spartacus!

And Mr. Z knew about this place even when I was lurking. I don't know if his account on here is still active, but he knows you guys as my " 'Forum Friends". Or the star? victim? of Gas' random memes and videos.

Word of advice, @That best friend : run! Run from the forum while you still can!

GasBandit

Staff member

And Mr. Z knew about this place even when I was lurking. I don't know if his account on here is still active, but he knows you guys as my " 'Forum Friends". Or the star? victim? of Gas' random memes and videos.

Word of advice, @That best friend : run! Run from the forum while you still can!
I'm still not convinced that your husband and I aren't some kind of Lars/Fry situation going on. There's just too many mental similarities!

I think it might already be too late for me
I don’t wanna run I wanna see what’s posted next. Lol

ibk the

Won't go into the nitty gritty details of things happening, but we've been spending a lot of time together. I can't get enough of her. I haven't smiled so much than I have in the past 2 weeks. It's not even just the sex. Just last night, we were punning (because she puns just as bad as I do, if not worse) and we were both laughing so hard, we could barely breathe.

She left me a note the other morning inside an empty bowl with the egg beater (because I often have eggs in the morning). The note said that I'm an "egg-cellent boyfriend."

But I keep coming back to something @phil said: it feels like we skipped the first few years of dating. And every time I think about it, the more it feels true. She told me the other day that we went on more excursions or platonic dates than she did with her ex in the past 7 or 8 years they were together. There are MULTIPLE pictures of us being goofballs like axe throwing or a Halloween trivia night. Some of my favourite memories have been with her in the past years. It really does feel like we skipped the first few years of dating, but in the best kind of way.

EDIT: Just to add, we've already said "I love you" to each other. And normally, that would scare me for such a new relationship. But the majority of my past relationships were with women I knew for only a short time. We'd already said we loved each other many times, though in a platonic manner. Being with someone intimately after knowing them as a friend for nearly a decade is a whole new ballgame for me.

Last edited:
That's awesome and I'm so happy for you, bud! To me it's the best feeling in the world to just have a totally mundane kind of day and at the end it still feels nice because you got to spend it with your best friend and partner.

Won't go into the nitty gritty details of things happening, but we've been spending a lot of time together. I can't get enough of her. I haven't smiled so much than I have in the past 2 weeks. It's not even just the sex. Just last night, we were punning (because she puns just as bad as I do, if not worse) and we were both laughing so hard, we could barely breathe.

She left me a note the other morning inside an empty bowl with the egg beater (because I often have eggs in the morning). The note said that I'm an "egg-cellent boyfriend."

But I keep coming back to something @phil said: it feels like we skipped the first few years of dating. And every time I think about it, the more it feels true. She told me the other day that we went on more excursions or platonic dates than she did with her ex in the past 7 or 8 years they were together. There are MULTIPLE pictures of us being goofballs like axe throwing or a Halloween trivia night. Some of my favourite memories have been with her in the past years. It really does feel like we skipped the first few years of dating, but in the best kind of way.

EDIT: Just to add, we've already said "I love you" to each other. And normally, that would scare me for such a new relationship. But the majority of my past relationships were with women I knew for only a short time. We'd already said we loved each other many times, though in a platonic manner. Being with someone intimately after knowing them as a friend for nearly a decade is a whole new ballgame for me.
My girlfriend finally said "I love you" this past weekend. She's had some really shitty past relationships, so I wasn't going to push her on anything until she was ready.
And I already knew she felt that way about me. It's still really nice to hear her say those words, though.

I love @ThatNickGuy and I have for years. Only recently has it developed into a romantic relationship, but that underlying care and trust has been there for so long.

Without question, Nick is the most gentle, considerate soul I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I can be such an intensely guarded person, but never have I felt pressured or pushed by Nick. Yet I'm able to open up and talk to him in ways I've never allowed with anyone. In the few moments where I've share something difficult from my past, he listened to me, soothed me and he made me feel loved through the hurt. He loves the things I was told to hate about myself. He patiently waits as I overcome a shyness or anxiety and never judges me for it.

Pair all that love with his intellect, his wit, humour, enthusiasm, childlike wonder, consideration, sex appeal and kindness. What else could I ask for? It's more than I deserve and I'm just grateful. I genuinely am stumped trying to describe how caring he is, and how lucky I feel. There's an anxiety that screams through my head, telling me he'll learn something bad about me and see me completely differently, but that fear is shrinking every moment I'm with him.
I believe it when he tells me he loves me, and I love him wholeheartedly.

I love @ThatNickGuy and I have for years. Only recently has it developed into a romantic relationship, but that underlying care and trust has been there for so long.

Without question, Nick is the most gentle, considerate soul I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I can be such an intensely guarded person, but never have I felt pressured or pushed by Nick. Yet I'm able to open up and talk to him in ways I've never allowed with anyone. In the few moments where I've share something difficult from my past, he listened to me, soothed me and he made me feel loved through the hurt. He loves the things I was told to hate about myself. He patiently waits as I overcome a shyness or anxiety and never judges me for it.

Pair all that love with his intellect, his wit, humour, enthusiasm, childlike wonder, consideration, sex appeal and kindness. What else could I ask for? It's more than I deserve and I'm just grateful. I genuinely am stumped trying to describe how caring he is, and how lucky I feel. There's an anxiety that screams through my head, telling me he'll learn something bad about me and see me completely differently, but that fear is shrinking every moment I'm with him.
I believe it when he tells me he loves me, and I love him wholeheartedly.
This is so incredibly sweet, I'm so happy for you two!!

Dave

Staff member
I met my wife in January 1993. We married July 1993. That's 29 1/2 years. It's possible. A lot of work and communication, but it does happen.