[Comics] Dark Nights: Metal (DC Comics event)

I loved issue two so much. It's crazy awesome!

Scott Snyder has set the unsubtle bar to a new high.
IMG_1959.JPG

No, it's great, because that scene ...

is complete bullshit. :D I can spoil it if you want.

So not only did Final Crisis happen, but everyone apparently remembers it. Superman Reborn is a hell of a drug. Not that I'm complaining.

I'm sure there's a TV Trope for what happened at the end.

Something applicable to "we cultists will be rewarded for the coming of our god--oops, we're fucked too." Leopards-eating-face party maybe.

No, it's great, because that scene ...

is complete bullshit. :D I can spoil it if you want.
Clayface aside, is it though? He gets the Batmanium (as first introduced in Snyder's Superheavy storyline New 52 Batman vol. 8 :awesome:) poured on him at the end activating the gateway.

The whole story is so dumb and takes itself seriously except everyone involved in its creation is completely aware, and I just love it.

Clayface aside, is it though? He gets the Batmanium (as first introduced in Snyder's Superheavy storyline New 52 Batman vol. 8 :awesome:) poured on him at the end activating the gateway.

The whole story is so dumb and takes itself seriously except everyone involved in its creation is completely aware, and I just love it.

I mean that I think Basil Carlo was hamming it up a little, not that his explanation was off. If Batman gave him lines to memorize, the guy's a professional, I'm sure he memorized them. That said, I'd need to re-read those panels.

And yeah, it is being dumb, and aware, and it's fun. Best of all, it's being creative about how dumb it is. Snyder very clearly planned all this out, with every piece of DC lore he could muster, from the big events to small details. I'll read the Teen Titans tie-in tomorrow and give my thoughts then.

The tie-in's pretty good, although instead of "Teen Titans" it REALLY should've been called "Robin 's awesome Metal adventure, and OH-here's the Teen Titans for a few panels." Also THANKFULLY the over-used scene of the Titans arguing about Damian being a shit-lord for the BILLIONTH time is over-shadowed by all the cool stuff in it. I'm just saying if I were given a Teen Titans trade, I'd enjoy the adventure parts of it, but I'm not considering buying any time soon unless it ties into something.

Probably the tie-ins will be collected in a Gotham Resistance book rather than each individual title, since it's only one issue per series.

I like that there are stages to the event and tie-ins, rather than generic "here's what this character/group was doing during the event." So Gotham Resistance will be this month into next month, and then we get a new phase in November. Still no idea who's writing the Justice League tie-ins then.

Loved this first tie-in though. As I've seen said elsewhere, the mismatched heroes heading into the labyrinth of Gotham is pretty much a D&D party trying to get to the boss monster in the center. I'm enjoying WOJAR, but it was nice to see a more traditional Riddler again.

Batman Who Laughs threw me for a loop, telling Nygma he has Batman's voice. I always read Batman as Kevin Conroy's voice, so adjusting that in my head to sound creepy took some effort.

In case anyone's curious, here's Greg Capullo's cover for Dark Nights: Metal #4. Warning, as this issue doesn't come out until December, the cover itself is a spoiler for issue #1, #2, and possibly more. Who knows?

Next week, Nightwing tie-in and one of the first evil Batmen one-shots.

Batman the Red Death scares me almost as much as the Batman who laughs. Hell, I cant' wait for the Murder Machine next week, how did THAT happen?!

NONE at all, two different events, happening at the same time I'd say!
Well, it really makes no difference for me because I discovered that my store forgot to put the Nightwing issue in my folder, so now I have no choice :p.

I'll have to stop by tomorrow to grab that. And be more attentive next week.

I was surprised to find a lot of interesting stuff in Red Death. Solid bit of world building.
Just finished reading it and I concur. That was what I'd call a crucial tie-in, at least the beginning and end. It explains exactly what the dark multiverse is, gives general motivation to the evil Batmen as a group (more to this specific one), and

I know Barry assumed he was being pulled away by Doctor Fate, by the ankh made me think it was Death of the Endless. The truth of the dark multiverse explains Dream's involvement more than just familial affiliation with Carter Hall. "Nightmare" is not being used descriptively, but literally. The dark multiverse is practically just bad thoughts, the islands in the realm of the dreaming, but only the bad shit.

This is shaping up to be something amazing.

Also read the Nightwing tie-in, Gotham Resistance part 2. Not as much fun as part 1, and I thought Riddler was better utilized there than Mr. Freeze here, but nice brother stuff between Dick and Damian, and the outside-Gotham stuff suggests next week's tie-in should be interesting.

I need to still read Nightwing.

Murder Machine was alright. Art was gorgeous, rest of it was just kind of there for me.

With the second tie-in arc complete and all of the Dark Knights one-shots released except The Wild Hunt, I gotta disagree with Scott Snyder that you can just read the main series. You can follow along, sure, but it's clear that things are happening and you are missing them. A throwaway explanation for the Dark Knights does appear in the main series, but one should really read Batman: The Red Death to get the full scope. Yeah, you can go from main series #3 to #4, but if you don't read the tie-in arc between ... sure they're heading to the places they were before, but the stakes have changed. Cyborg's powers, outlook, connection to things has changed, and I don't know how much time #4 will waste on retreading Victor's character development.