Cute Singin' Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was off key, but I mean, what are you gunna do? They're just kids.
I don't think the kids are the issue. Probably the wrongwrongwrong teacher who had them do this.
We get it, you like Obama. Great. Now, go teach and leave your creepy obsession at the door or GTFO.

A

Armadillo

It was off key, but I mean, what are you gunna do? They're just kids.
I don't think the kids are the issue. Probably the wrongwrongwrong teacher who had them do this.
We get it, you like Obama. Great. Now, go teach and leave your creepy obsession at the door or GTFO.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that would be my take as well. I'd also call this another excuse to fire up Living Colour's "Cult of Personality."

L

lafftaff

Bad call on the teachers part. How could this ever seem like a good idea? However, I remeber the non-christian kids beging made to sing Christmas songs. Is that in the same line? These kids probably won't remember this down the line.

Bad call on the teachers part. How could this ever seem like a good idea? However, I remeber the non-christian kids beging made to sing Christmas songs. Is that in the same line? These kids probably won't remember this down the line.
Yup, along the same lines.

Honestly, it wasn't cute when kids sang to Bush in 2006, and it isn't cute now.

A

Armadillo

Yup, along the same lines.

Honestly, it wasn't cute when kids sang to Bush in 2006, and it isn't cute now.[/QUOTE]

When did that happen? I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly don't remember that. For the record, I'd find that equally objectionable.

I believe he's referring to something rather different, although I know in searching for it the left blog sites are dredging it up right now.
It was Easter at the White House and some school kids sang a song that MENTIONED Bush, for the President and the First Lady and the guests at the White House, along with Congress and FEMA in reference to Katrina, rather than a song lauding the great leader of North Korea, er, America, as is this case. For reference, the lyrics (I'll highlight all the mentions of Bush/Obama so we can compare for funsies) from the Easter Celebration Day:
Our country's stood beside us
People have sent us aid.
Katrina could not stop us,
our hopes will never fade.
Congress, Bush and FEMA
People across our land
Together have come to rebuild us
and we join them hand-in-hand!
Particularly in light of the Katrina disaster, it was rather tasteless and silly but it wasn't even about BUSH.

And here is this uber-creepy new song:
Mm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama

He said that all must lend a hand
To make this country strong again
Mmm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama

He said we must be fair today
Equal work means equal pay
Mmm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama

He said that we must take a stand
To make sure everyone gets a chance
Mmm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama

He said red, yellow, black or white
All are equal in his sight
Mmm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama

Yes!
Mmm, mmm, mm
Barack Hussein Obama

Song 2:
Hello, Mr. President we honor you today!
For all your great accomplishments, we all doth say "hooray!"

Hooray, Mr. President! You're number one!
The first black American to lead this great nation!

Hooray, Mr. President we honor your great plans
To make this country's economy number one again!

Hooray Mr. President, we're really proud of you!
And we stand for all Americans under the great Red, White, and Blue!

So continue ---- Mr. President we know you'll do the trick
So here's a hearty hip-hooray ----

Hip, hip hooray!
Hip, hip hooray!
Hip, hip hooray!
So yeah, personally? I would say maybe both were bad ideas, but for different reasons. The first is hardly about Bush, the second uses lyrics from songs about Jesus and puts Obama's name in place. Creepy.

A

Armadillo

Can't say I'm a fan of that first song, but it doesn't even approach the level of personality cult that Obama song does. Dammit, we don't put our Presidents on some kind of ethereal pedestal! They work for US, not the other way around. Haven't we learned from past examples of idolizing a person or a state as opposed to ideals? Nothing good ever comes from it.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Dude hasn't even in power long enough to be idolized. 'Course, by the time he's been in office long enough most everyone'll be disillusioned by the discovery he's just another politician.

Can't say I'm a fan of that first song, but it doesn't even approach the level of personality cult that Obama song does. Dammit, we don't put our Presidents on some kind of ethereal pedestal! They work for US, not the other way around. Haven't we learned from past examples of idolizing a person or a state as opposed to ideals? Nothing good ever comes from it.
Wait, personality cult? I don't think I'm even going to get into that one. It just isn't a fair argument considering the Bush years.

I wasn't trying to say one was worse than the other. Just that they were both inappropriate.

A

Armadillo

Wait, personality cult? I don't think I'm even going to get into that one. It just isn't a fair argument considering the Bush years.

I wasn't trying to say one was worse than the other. Just that they were both inappropriate.[/QUOTE]

Go back and re-read the lyrics to both those songs. The one about Katrina had Bush named ONCE. Now, it was a crappy song and I don't like putting any individual politician into a glorifying song, but it is FAR from "equal" to that Obama song. That was just plain creepy.

As for the Bush years, where was the personality cult with that guy? I guess I missed the multiple songs glorifying him, people fainting at his speeches, or any major news personality getting a "tingle up his leg" hearing him speak. Now, maybe an English teacher's Spidey Sense went off, but nothing that could be construed as worshipful. So far, we've already seen Obama votives, the Ashton/Demi "I Pledge" video, murals to him (there's one on S. Cedar St. here in the Twin Cities. Just drove past it the other day, and was very creeped out by it), and more. Hell, the principal of the school where that video was shot sounds like a schoolgirl with a crush:

The principal of a New Jersey elementary school where young students were videotaped singing the praises of President Obama is making no apologies for the videotape and says she would allow the performance again if she could, according to parents who spoke with her Thursday night.

King has long been a fan of Obama, hanging pictures of the president in her school's hallways and touting her trip to his inauguration in the school yearbook.

Included in the full-page yearbook spread were Obama campaign slogans ("Yes we can! Yes we did!") and photos King took in Washington on Jan. 20, when she attended the inauguration.

There also were photos taken at the school depicting students doing Obama-themed activities about their "hopes for the future," featuring posters of Obama. According to the yearbook, students watched the inauguration in class.

Parents said Elvira James, the teacher of the class that was videotaped, also seemed to be promoting Obama.

"She praised him, she put pictures on the walls," said Jim Pronchick, whose 8-year-old son, Jimmy, was in James' class last year. "When he won (the election) they really went off."
That's not just agreement with policies, that's full-on slobbering. Again, if an individual person is elevated to such a lofty position, and seen as the end-all, be-all of America, then we're in deep trouble. The whole idea is to love and appreciate the ideals expressed by the Founding Fathers, not to worship the Fathers (or any subsequent President) themselves.

I find it funny that you agree with me but want to make one side somehow worse than the other. I don't have to re-read the lyrics. I said it was creepy. It's as creepy as It's Raining McCain or the whole goofy Obama Girl thing. It's as creepy as having an entire network to rally the cause of a politician or his/her policies.

We don't disagree here. It's disturbing. Sadly there will always be people who take it too far.

A

Armadillo

I find it funny that you agree with me but want to make one side somehow worse than the other. I don't have to re-read the lyrics. I said it was creepy. It's as creepy as It's Raining McCain or the whole goofy Obama Girl thing. It's as creepy as having an entire network to rally the cause of a politician or his/her policies.

We don't disagree here. It's disturbing. Sadly there will always be people who take it too far.
It's not that I feel the Democrats are worse than the Republicans or vice versa. This transcends parties to me; I mean, Clinton never got this sort of adoration, either.

I just don't like where this appears to be going, that's all. I'm a big believer in holding elected officials responsible, and there's a larger-than-normal percentage of the population (media at the forefront) who appear completely unwilling to do that to this President.

And we do disagree, dammit! Don't take the perception of diametric opposites away from me! :D

A

Armadillo

murals to him (there's one on S. Cedar St. here in the Twin Cities. Just drove past it the other day, and was very creeped out by it), and more.
Wait. You didn't like my mural?
:mad:

Incidentally, you live way to close to me.:ninja:[/QUOTE]

I don't live on Cedar, I was just driving down it to waste time between classes. I've been known to take the family on occasional trips to Matt's Bar, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.