1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

cosplay does NOT equal Consent

Discussion in 'Pez's Playhouse & Cosplay Corner' started by Bones, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
    I do see Pez's point, simply as a mom of an autistic kid, who looks normal but definitely doesn't act that way. But I feel like it has nothing to do with being a white male, and more to do with expectations of society towards "normal looking people."

2. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    Imagine how life is for him. He thinks he gets "the rules," but then people keep changing them over the rest of his life and he has to keep patching his internal code to compensate/cope.

--Patrick

3. AshburnerX

AshburnerX Resident Boo Radley

Books:
    No, I am. But yeah... we do it because it looks good on us. Not sure WHY but it does. Maybe it's the wide brim?

4. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    I just want to go on the record and say I hate wearing a hat of any sort.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
  5. Bowielee

Bowielee Globally ignored since 1975

Books:
    <------------ Only type of hat I ever wear.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  6. figmentPez

figmentPez Cosplay Czar Staff Member

Books:
    Back on the subject of creepy comments. iKearstin had some interesting comments. From her Tumblr (which is very NSFW), some select quotes:

I disagree with her on some points. Not everyone is, or even can be, prepared to have a witty comeback to every possible asshole comment. I'm a pretty glib speaker when I'm on stage talking about a subject I know well, but I fall to pieces trying to talk to an attractive woman. Other people just aren't good at snappy comebacks at all. It's a difficult skill to master. While I do think every effort should be made to avoid the "giggle and accept" reaction, as that can send the message that the bad behavior was acceptable, I don't think it's good advice to tell every woman to be aggressive in response, because that's not a reasonable expectation.

I really like that she differentiates, in a paragraph I didn't quote, between intentional assholes and those that don't know better. I also think she makes a good point about taking the opportunity to teach, and not resort to public shaming.

7. @Li3n

@Li3n Contributor

Books:

As someone who was once a kid (as alien as that is to you, oh ancient one) i got to ask: why does that matter? Because before puberty i didn't really care except that they looked silly and uncomfortable, while after puberty they could have been wearing burka's and i would have made due...
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 21, 2013 ---
    It's like a prison for your head...

8. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Yeah, they never fit just right, you're expected to take em off indoors which just gives you something extra to carry around, and they mess up your hair so when you DO take it off you look dumb. No hat has ever made me look as good as my hair alone, and if it rains I have umbrellas at home, work, and in the car (more for the sake of the electronics I carry, really).

9. SpecialKO

SpecialKO Be happy

Books:
    I like to occasionally wear a newsboy with a vest because it makes me feel in touch with my 1940s Slavic ancestry.

No joke, my Eastern European grandpa was awesome and wore a newsboy like a boss.

10. sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker Longstanding Member

Books:
    Newsboy hats with a T-Shirt normally looks funny. They need the collard shirt and like @SpecialKO said, a vest helps too.

11. LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin la femme

Books:
    I'm really not sure where else to put this, since it's not really about consent, but I guess I wanted to bring up/mention stories of bullying.

http://iamthedavrezi.tumblr.com/post/84720306678/on-friday-i-went-to-school-in-my-grell-cosplay

I don't know what it is about this particular story that gets to me, but it does. It really really does. And I'm so angry. What in the hell are parents teaching their kids these days??

If you don't want to read it, a girl wore her Grell cosplay to school.
    [​IMG]

And then got assaulted. When another girl began tugging on her wig the cosplayer asked her to stop, and then the girl turned on the cosplayer. She punched her, ripped her wig off, knocked her to the ground.

In what world is this reaction okay?? And then there are screen shots of a Facebook conversation of people saying how happy they are that this girl got beat up. I just don't even...

I see cosplayers, especially young ones, get bullied often. A lot of us are older and can handle verbal abuse, but physical altercations and on some poor high school student?

I am so angry. So very angry. And I can feel myself becoming Mama Bear and UGH. I would hope that the one girls mother would talk to her daughter, but I know that that is unlikely, which is just so wrong.

This just...hits close to home for me because I was bullied in school. Not terribly, but with my depression and anxiety it was enough to mess me up for almost all of my school life.

[​IMG]

• Hugs Hugs x 5
  12. PatrThom

Books:
    Some people just refuse to allow anyone else to be different, and think that such behavior is justified.

--Patrick

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  13. Bones

Bones Anime Corrupts, Moe Corrupts Absolutely

Books:
    the line that sums up what you want is, "They're not like you and me, which means they must be evil!" or my personal favorite, which is burned into me, "You are cast from the light monster, you are cast from our warm embrace, die monster, die, you don't belong in this world!"

14. Shakey

Shakey Contributor

Books:
    When I was in high school my friend decided to wear his masquerade live action costume to school. Similar thing happened. Someone didn't like it and laid into him.

15. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    I can't say I know much about this. The only time I ever went (or saw somebody go) to school in costume was on halloween day. And thus, nobody thought it odd. Of course, the school custodians hated me because I went as a freshly killed zombie every year, complete with oozing blood, and sometimes it got on the floor.

16. Bowielee

Books:
    When one of my friend's eldest sons wore his Naruto headband to school I wanted to punch him.

Cause Naruto is just horrible.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
  17. Jay

Jay I'm Jay and I feel you're... OK.

Books:
    I'm perplexed at the article. Was it for a special occasion or did she just decid to show up randomly like that for no reason related to theme/activity/date?

Also call me a old fart but trying to read more posts on tumbler is fucking frustrating.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  18. Bowielee

Books:
    I know I'm going to sound like a TOTAL dick for saying this, but honestly, going to school dressed in cosplay is totally asking for trouble.

I know I shouldn't feel that way, because I'm usually all about letting your freak flag fly and wearing your difference like a badge, but even I knew not to show up in certain places dressed in drag when I was younger and did such things.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should really pick your battles.

19. Shakey

Shakey Contributor

Books:
  20. Bones

Books:
    I want to rebuttal, I got nothing, I agree school is probably not a great venue, but hell we all did dumb shit when we were in high school. I feel like things to do to get beat up for this should be low on the list. Its like when I was in high school and the bullies beat me up in the parking lot for being a cripple and limping to my car after a particularly nasty fall.

21. PatrThom

Books:
    And then, sometimes...

--Patrick

22. LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin la femme

Books:
    She wore the costume to school as a test run to see how it would handle at a convention. She even mentions she expected to be poked fun at, laughed at, but what I am not okay with is for her to be beat up.

I get it, wearing a costume to school is not the best venue, but that shouldn't matter on a scale of physical altercations. Wearing a costume to school should not = physical bullying.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
  23. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Longstanding Member

Books:
    Nothing should equal physical bullying. But it's a problem that I don't know how to fix.

24. Shakey

Shakey Contributor

Books:
    I don't think there will ever be a fix, but not blaming the person who gets the shit kicked out of them is a start.

25. Zero Esc

Zero Esc Halforums Asshole Assessment Division

Books:
    Is it just me, or does the description resemble an animal attack? Like having the colored wig was waving a red flag in a bull's face. Usually I see bullying escalate, not just sudden laying in.

26. Celt Z

Celt Z Ginger

Books:
    I read the original post (oy, that background color...), but did she ever report the incident and the follow-up posts to the administration? While I agree cosplaying at school isn't a good idea unless it's Halloween or a theme day, but nothing should ever result in assault. Not saying everyone has to like each other, but she shouldn't be subjected to a hostile environment.

27. Espy

Espy IMA PREACHA! Staff Member

Books:
    This. Everyone who thinks it was a bad idea in the first place, you are right. It was NOT a good idea for a variety of reasons (it's school being the primary one) however there is zero call for physical bullying. Thats just plain horrible.

28. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    I agree with Espy. It was probably a bad idea to wear cosplay to school, but that doesn't mean what happened is acceptable.

I'm wondering about the staff and faculty of this school though? Nobody saw the costume and said "you need to go home and change?" Nobody saw the attack, and disciplined the attacker? Is this school just kids running rampant, answerable only to the lord of the flies?

29. Bones

Books:
    the girl responded with it happened after school, as far as the cosplay goes, if not for the wig its pretty tame by cosplay standards, so it makes me think the instructors let it go since she was probably well behaved. this is all speculation of course.

30. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Man, I got sent home once because I had a shirt (that completely covered my upper body) that said "Big Johnson" on the front.

31. Espy

Espy IMA PREACHA! Staff Member

Books:
    FRAME IT BITCHES.

• Funny Funny x 4
  32. Bowielee

Books:
    To be clear, I don't, under any circumstances, believe that this girl should have been abused in any way for this. Nor should anyone. What the bullies in this case did was reprehensible, as were the posted facebook responses.

Bullying is never acceptable.

33. PatrThom

Books:
    I remember those shirts.

--Patrick

34. Bowielee

Books:
    To be fair, they were very thinly veiled sexual innuendo. They got banned at my school too.

35. Tress

Tress Always Late

Books:
    The only times I yell at a student for clothing is when said clothing is either A) distracting, or B) inappropriate in some way (sex, drugs, violent threats, etc.). I would probably not have told this girl to change her clothes. I try to let them express themselves as much as (reasonably) possible.

This assault was grotesque and the people who did it should be severely punished.