cosplay does NOT equal Consent

And it's arguing semantics. I know people who'll absolutely agree that harassment is wrong, but still think it's perfectly fine to throw wolf whistles at girls in short shorts because they don't consider it harassment.

I'm still of the opinion that a) if you dress up in *skimpy* clothing, you can expect people to look; b) there's a huge difference between looking appreciatively for 5 seconds and staring/ogling in a bothering/irritating fashion and c) no matter what you're doing, if it makes the other person uncomfortable, you should probably not do it - once again returning to the "my freedom ends where another's begins" I like so much.

I find this whole thing highly interesting from a security standpoint, as in two weeks I'll be heading Security at our local convention. There's a group of guys from a Klingon group who form the line of the security team (checking badges and whatnot), and I'm there to give it some teeth.

Normally I'd just be thinking from a property crimes/violent crimes perspective, but this has given me something else to think about. And like I mentioned in Kags' thread, I have a manner to enforce it with, provided that the potential offender in question doesn't "get it." Thanks to y'all for reminding of this.

Normally I'd just be thinking from a property crimes/violent crimes perspective, but this has given me something else to think about.
This is a large part of the problem, I think. Yes, that you, personally, officer Charon, thought! Erm, eh, I mean, security, guards, police officers etc, all those kinds of jobs where it's someone's job to check for trouble etc,tend to be held very predominantly by men. Even for sensitive, open-minded men who DO care about this sort of thing, it's something that's simply usually not at the forefront of your mind, and certainly not the boss'. If there even is a security plan, it'll usually involve making sure everybody gets checked on leaving, or everyone is double-checked upon entering, and making sure there are no "major disturbances". While for a lot of people, it's the smaller things that determine the atmosphere of an event. It's one of those things where I am still a strong believer that we need more awareness training and such.

Go forth and be aware, Officer Charon. Be very aware ;-)

This is a large part of the problem, I think. Yes, that you, personally, officer Charon, thought! Erm, eh, I mean, security, guards, police officers etc, all those kinds of jobs where it's someone's job to check for trouble etc,tend to be held very predominantly by men. Even for sensitive, open-minded men who DO care about this sort of thing, it's something that's simply usually not at the forefront of your mind, and certainly not the boss'. If there even is a security plan, it'll usually involve making sure everybody gets checked on leaving, or everyone is double-checked upon entering, and making sure there are no "major disturbances". While for a lot of people, it's the smaller things that determine the atmosphere of an event. It's one of those things where I am still a strong believer that we need more awareness training and such.

Go forth and be aware, Officer Charon. Be very aware ;-)
TL;DR: Bubble hates Office Charon's penis

*raises eyebrow*

While I see what you did there, I postulate that I have one solid piece of evidence to the contrary.

Who is currently sleeping.

*raises eyebrow*

While I see what you did there, I postulate that I have one solid piece of evidence to the contrary.

Who is currently sleeping.
This is the first thing that popped into my head:
Richard Pryor said:
And you can tell when you done made good love to your woman... 'cuz she will go to sleep. That's when you really are "Macho Man!"

"I put your ass to sleep... I'm Macho Man!"

fade

Staff member
No one deserves to be harassed. But it is certainly true that these outfits were designed by their artists to evoke a sexual response. There is no way you can stop someone from--to be completely frank--fantasizing about having sex with you. Here's the thing--that's nature. People fantasize about having sex with other people. Many of those outfits are designed to elicit exactly that response. Acting on that fantasy in a socially inappropriate way is the bad thing, not the fantasy itself.

But see, here's the other thing. I can admire the execution of the concept too. That's the great thing about it. It's actually the same with the comic page itself. I can feel a sexual attraction to the woman represented by the drawing, and be bowled over by the technical execution of the artistry. Nothing short of chemical injections or castration will stop the first. But that doesn't mean I should act inappropriately. I shouldn't.

But that doesn't mean I should act inappropriately. I shouldn't.
That's the heart of it. I don't think anyone here is arguing that one shouldn't be sexually attracted to cosplayers ever. Just don't be a creep about it.

No one deserves to be harassed. But it is certainly true that these outfits were designed by their artists to evoke a sexual response. There is no way you can stop someone from--to be completely frank--fantasizing about having sex with you. Here's the thing--that's nature. People fantasize about having sex with other people. Many of those outfits are designed to elicit exactly that response. Acting on that fantasy in a socially inappropriate way is the bad thing, not the fantasy itself.

But see, here's the other thing. I can admire the execution of the concept too. That's the great thing about it. It's actually the same with the comic page itself. I can feel a sexual attraction to the woman represented by the drawing, and be bowled over by the technical execution of the artistry. Nothing short of chemical injections or castration will stop the first. But that doesn't mean I should act inappropriately. I shouldn't.
I think thats the whole point, its not that there are people having fantasies, its that they are saying and doing things that are inappropriate, I am sure everyone expects someone to oogle them, thats not the point of the moment. It is that those interacting need to remember there is a human being in the costume who doesn't want to be told things like all the ways you would have sex with them or being groped and fondled.

fade

Staff member
I'm not necessarily talking to anyone here, but I have gotten the impression around the web that there are quite a few people that think even attraction is inappropriate. Not in so many words, but it's the distillation of what they're saying.

fade

Staff member
That is never going to happen. Objectification is the way the human brain works, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Only objectifying is the bad thing.

Sweet.

Now cut it out. I'm more that just a collection of smart ass remarks for you guys to read and forget whenever you feel like it.

Pigs.

Dave

Staff member
The worst part? There's really nothing she can do about it. He took a picture in a public place. Totally legal. He didn't have to erase shit. It is creepy as fuck and makes me want to take a shower, but it's not illegal.

Honestly, she -legally- did the wrong thing by forcefully taking his phone away. She was also wrong that he -invaded her privacy- by taking pictures and video of her in a public place.

If she's upset about the one guy she busted, I can only imagine how she'd feel realizing how many more are out there and then do things to themselves later with said pictures.

I don't disagree in the least, I just think its interesting how her change in stance feeds my theory that people have no interest in an issue or consider it silly until they are personally affected on a complete side note.

Out of curiosity, this line made me wonder:

"everyone is more than welcome to ask to take pictures, but you ASK you get that sweet ass CONSENT and everyone goes home happy."

Is she talking about subjectively creepy pictures, or is it the general expectation that every time you take any picture at a con you request permission of the subjects before you take it?

BananaHands

Staff member
Welp, now I'm just looking at Jessica Nigri. Thanks, Jay

But yeah, seriously. Cosplayers are people too. Most of them are as awkward and insecure as the rest of us. Let 'em be who they want for a day without harassing 'em. I've seen girls wear less out in Wrigleyville.