Comic Book News

I'd love to see him replace Hitch on Justice League.

Actually I'd love to see anyone replace him ...
That's one of the books being floated about by the rumors. Honestly he's a pretty good draw, so that would be a good book for him. I like the idea of Abnett getting to write Justice League more, but unless Inquisitor Eisenhorn or Commissar Gaunt take over leadership of the Justice League he's not going to pull in a new audience and bolster the book.

The other title I've seen speculated is Legion of Super-heroes.

That's one of the books being floated about by the rumors. Honestly he's a pretty good draw, so that would be a good book for him. I like the idea of Abnett getting to write Justice League more, but unless Inquisitor Eisenhorn or Commissar Gaunt take over leadership of the Justice League he's not going to pull in a new audience and bolster the book.

The other title I've seen speculated is Legion of Super-heroes.
Abnett would be my top choice; he's able to juggle multiple characters, dip into their personal lives, and give them interesting things to do while keeping up with what's going on in their own books. But I'd be good with Hickman. Or Seeley. Or Lemire.

Seriously, almost anyone at this point would be nice, though Abnett or Hickman would make it a must-buy for me.

DC announces Etrigan mini-series The Demon: Hell on Earth.

At first I thought I wasn't interested because I kinda would like to see Etrigan in medieval times with Shining Knight, but the idea of a nuclear bomb opening a crack in the earth and unleashing hell into the California desert is intriguing.

Sam Humphries is calling it quits on Green Lanterns, DAMMIT- love his crazy world building.
Apparently DC offered him a great opportunity, which we have no idea what is yet, but he said he couldn't do both. I like the stories he's come up with from a distance, but I can't stand the simultaneous inner monologues from both Simon and Jessica. It was a neat experiment, but I don't feel it worked and made those pages a chore.

That said, I worry the next writer won't get these two characters as well as he has.

This'll be the third change of writer for a Rebirth comic, and the second unfortunate one.

I've found Tim Seeley to be pretty enjoyable. Mind you his Nightwing isn't as good as Grayson, but I guess that's why his co-writer was the one who went on to Batman.[DOUBLEPOST=1503189016,1503188863][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like the stories he's come up with from a distance, but I can't stand the simultaneous inner monologues from both Simon and Jessica. It was a neat experiment, but I don't feel it worked and made those pages a chore.
Might have been a chore, but probably not as insufferable as Loeb's Superman/Batman panels.

I loved the dueling monologues in Green Lanterns, unlike Superman/Batman it wasn't just the two of them judging the other but more seeing how each of them dealt with the situation at hand, and Jess's inner monologues were ALWAYS relatable with her anxiety.

Also UNLIKE Superman/Batman, every mainstay superhero character that weren't the main ones didn't miraculously turn into an asshole, hell even Guy Gardner acted as a great supporting character during the training arc.

Dark Horse is reprinting Mike Mignola's Hellboy in a series of omnibuses.

I've waited a long time for this. They'd reprinted BPRD in some nice hardcover omnibuses, then later in softcover editions. I keep thinking of buying them because they look nice together on the shelf. But I didn't like the Hellboy library editions because they were just too big for my liking.

I assume these new omnibuses will be hardcover, but hopefully - fingers crossed - they eventually do softcover editions as well. I'll probably snag them, then.

This has been another edition of "Nick's Comic Book Collecting Habits are Fucking Weird."

"Looking forward to these hardcovers to come out so I can get the paperback versions of them." :p
Heh, but that's generally the publishing trend. Like, DC is re-collecting the Justice League International run (when it was more a comedy book) in omnibuses. But they'll likely re-print the same material in softcovers as they have with other omnibuses.

So, I just need to be extra patient. :D

Heh, but that's generally the publishing trend. Like, DC is re-collecting the Justice League International run (when it was more a comedy book) in omnibuses. But they'll likely re-print the same material in softcovers as they have with other omnibuses.

So, I just need to be extra patient. :D
You know better than I do. Dark Horse released the Alien omnibuses in paperback, so I'm sure eventually they'll do so for Hellboy.[DOUBLEPOST=1504844705,1504844459][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, I was a little disappointed when I read through Hellboy stuff before, but now reading the article, they're planning to split these up into their stories and related story arcs, rather than the issue release order, which at times didn't make much sense. That's pretty cool. I might check one out just to see. I'm definitely interested in the short story ones, as I feel the smaller lore or character-focused stories were more Mignola's strength, while his bigger plots ended up feeling kinda hollow and repetitive.

You know better than I do. Dark Horse released the Alien omnibuses in paperback, so I'm sure eventually they'll do so for Hellboy.[DOUBLEPOST=1504844705,1504844459][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, I was a little disappointed when I read through Hellboy stuff before, but now reading the article, they're planning to split these up into their stories and related story arcs, rather than the issue release order, which at times didn't make much sense. That's pretty cool. I might check one out just to see. I'm definitely interested in the short story ones, as I feel the smaller lore or character-focused stories were more Mignola's strength, while his bigger plots ended up feeling kinda hollow and repetitive.
Yeah, that's part of the reason I sold my collection of Hellboy and BPRD. The stories didn't make a lick of sense half the time. Reading them in this order might help. I imagine it also didn't help that I'd waited a long time in between buying each volume so I wound up forgetting a lot of what came before. You're right that the shorter or more self-contained stories worked more to Mignola's strengths.

And I still don't have two clues what Abe Sapien's origin was supposed to be.

Yeah, that's part of the reason I sold my collection of Hellboy and BPRD. The stories didn't make a lick of sense half the time. Reading them in this order might help. I imagine it also didn't help that I'd waited a long time in between buying each volume so I wound up forgetting a lot of what came before. You're right that the shorter or more self-contained stories worked more to Mignola's strengths.
I don't know if it would've mattered. Somebody was selling the trades for cheap, so I bought them up and read them one after another. I didn't feel confused, just disappointed, but now I'm wondering if that's from the jerky back and forth storytelling. Sometimes that's the nature of comic books, but the "insert backstory" issues of, for example, a Marvel or DC superhero book feel less troublesome because it's pasting something into an existing status quo. Hellboy never had much a status quo, the story was always moving forward, so sudden changes coming in felt like the narrative took a swerve off its route and sometimes wouldn't go back for 20 issues.

But yeah, maybe this way will work out better. I'm willing to try.

And I still don't have two clues what Abe Sapien's origin was supposed to be.
I knew back when I read it, but what I started to recall as his origin is actually the backstory for Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing, so apparently I have no idea either :p.

I do know it's not in Hellboy. I think it was BPRD volume 4 or 5.

Good for him.

[edit] that looks more sarcastic than it is. I've not read his stuff, but I hear he's talented and the few people that read Deathstroke (I don't think the character will ever be what DC wants it to be) seem to really love it.

Good for him.

[edit] that looks more sarcastic than it is. I've not read his stuff, but I hear he's talented and the few people that read Deathstroke (I don't think the character will ever be what DC wants it to be) seem to really love it.
I did think it was sarcastic at first glance.

I've read a couple issues of Deathstroke and while it is good, I just don't care about Slade Wilson. Priest behind Justice League sounds great.

But as I've said before, there's a laundry list of writers I'd rather see on Justice League over Bryan Hitch.

I don't get it.
The lenticular images are obviously meant to be viewed by moving the cover up and down, but they film it going left and right? Of course it's going to look bad.

--Patrick
It's supposed to be left and right.

But either way, the problem is that the image is supposed to show clearly when you put it to one way or the other, but instead they used thinner covers than DC did, so it just shows a glob of both.

Maybe they shouldn't have gone all-in on this shit. I hope my comic store will be able to recover the difference. They had a short box of available variants, but if they look like crap, nobody's going to want them. I saw one lenticular on the shelf and it had the bleed problem.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's supposed to be left and right.

But either way, the problem is that the image is supposed to show clearly when you put it to one way or the other, but instead they used thinner covers than DC did, so it just shows a glob of both.

Maybe they shouldn't have gone all-in on this shit. I hope my comic store will be able to recover the difference. They had a short box of available variants, but if they look like crap, nobody's going to want them. I saw one lenticular on the shelf and it had the bleed problem.
I wonder how much better the effect can get if you make sure that the cover is perfectly flat. All the videos I can find online have the cover curved or warped. If you set one on a flat table, and pressed it flat with a pane of glass, it might look pretty good. Not that such would excuse choosing such a flimsy cover material for a lenticular effect.

I wonder how much better the effect can get if you make sure that the cover is perfectly flat. All the videos I can find online have the cover curved or warped. If you set one on a flat table, and pressed it flat with a pane of glass, it might look pretty good. Not that such would excuse choosing such a flimsy cover material for a lenticular effect.
Maybe, but you're supposed to be able to just hold it up and see it. But then, it wouldn't be so curved if they'd done it properly.

The Marvel lenticular covers are garbage and now I have personal experience with it.

My store went all-in on these things and are now regretting it financially. I ended up saddled with two of them, and there'll probably be a third when She-Hulk gets Legacy treatment next month. At best, the covers sometimes look like the cover they're an homage to, but trying to see the cover they're supposed to be just leaves you with a color puddle.

Weird part is, they have a 3D holographic for the back cover, an ad for Avengers: 52 Edition No Surrender, and that looks perfectly fine. They should've just done that if they wanted these to look neat.

So I mentioned in the What comic are you reading thread that the main Metal series was taking a break in February so Capullo could have some time off after getting sick, and they were going to publish a new one-shot in its place. Well it turns out that that book "The Wild Hunt" will be co-written by Scott Snyder & Grant Morrison. :Leyla:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/24/grant-morrison-nights-metal-wild-hunt/
Very nice. So far this event has been fun and having Morrison contributing to this multiverse bender of a story will be a nice treat before the finale.

Action Comics #1000 news

So there will be two thing. One is usual floppy, a bit larger and pricier, written by Jurgens and Tomasi. I'm wondering if at that point there's going to be a Superman/Action Comics crossover.

Then there's going to be a 168 page hardcover titled Action Comics #1000 that'll have stories by various writers and artists, including apparently an unpublished alleged Siegel/Shuster story that DC has had squirreled away for decades.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/24/action-comics-1000-30-168-page-hardcover/
Then there's going to be a 168 page hardcover titled Action Comics #1000 that'll have stories by various writers and artists, including apparently an unpublished alleged Siegel/Shuster story that DC has had squirreled away for decades.
I'll bet it's something they got access to when they finally settled some of the other things with the families, an outline and basic storyboarding that was/is finished by someone else.

Could also be an old inventory story (finished stories that publishers would bank to help keep the books published on time) that never made it to print.

Could also be an old inventory story (finished stories that publishers would bank to help keep the books published on time) that never made it to print.
Yeah, I know they keep those, but they've done so many different specials over the years and years since they passed I think that I remember hearing that they didn't have anything that wasn't already published.