[News] Comcast extorts Netflix, VZ and AT&T plan to follow suit.

Pretty much this. It's like if telephone companies tried to claim that people having 3 hour telephone conversations were getting a "free ride" on unlimited long distance plans. Uh, what? If you pay for unlimited long distance, and your friend pays for unlimited long distance, then there's no "free ride" involved. If telcos didn't anticipate how popular long phone calls would be, that's their problem, because they sold a service that they couldn't deliver.
That's a good parallel actually. I'm going to use that one to explain the problem here to people who "understand" a telephone call, but don't understand the internet situation.

these guys are making TV+Internet bundles cheaper than Internet only rates to customers that try and cancel their cable.
I am wholeheartedly sick of this.
"We will bundle telephone, television, and Internet for just $65/month for the first year! What's that? You only want the Internet part of the package? That'll be $59.95/month."
It's times like that my mind turns to thoughts of violence.

--Patrick

That's a good parallel actually. I'm going to use that one to explain the problem here to people who "understand" a telephone call, but don't understand the internet situation.
I think it's a lot more like if you were to call a business to place an order, your phone company may or may not complete the call unless the business paid them a premium. Even though the business has a completely different phone provider. All because that business is making money off their phone lines.

I am wholeheartedly sick of this.
"We will bundle telephone, television, and Internet for just $65/month for the first year! What's that? You only want the Internet part of the package? That'll be $59.95/month."
It's times like that my mind turns to thoughts of violence.

--Patrick
You think that's sick, like I mentioned, I've heard stories where in customer retention, customers are offered "deals" where the TV+Internet is cheaper than the Internet only.

figmentPez

Staff member
I think it's a lot more like if you were to call a business to place an order, your phone company may or may not complete the call unless the business paid them a premium. Even though the business has a completely different phone provider. All because that business is making money off their phone lines.
Yeah, I like the pizza delivery call analogy. Imagine if telcos tried to claim that the calls for pizza delivery on Saturday nights were overloading their circuits, so that they'd have to charge the pizza companies more, or have them miss calls. Pizza Hut pays up, so you can call them no problem, but you might get a busy signal calling Dominos, until they pay up too, then it'll just be the local place that you can't reach, because they can't afford to make a national deal like the big chains.

Yeah, I like the pizza delivery call analogy. Imagine if telcos tried to claim that the calls for pizza delivery on Saturday nights were overloading their circuits, so that they'd have to charge the pizza companies more, or have them miss calls. Pizza Hut pays up, so you can call them no problem, but you might get a busy signal calling Dominos, until they pay up too, then it'll just be the local place that you can't reach, because they can't afford to make a national deal like the big chains.
Which is a shame, cause that local place has the BEST pizza in the area. That's the opposite of a free and open market allowing the best businesses to thrive.

Comcast is the only option for my apartment complex, so there's shit that I can do even if a service provider appears that doesn't pull this crap.