[News] Comcast extorts Netflix, VZ and AT&T plan to follow suit.

Yeah, anti-trust laws are pretty much a thing of the past. They have been legally shipped away over the years, not to mention that they never really covered oligopolies, which is what we're facing now.

GasBandit

Staff member
"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation always ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. "
Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations, Book I, Chapter X.

I think it's more that they've moved the goalposts significantly. The only thing that used to matter was how powerful their stranglehold on a market was. Now even the illusion of competition is enough to undermine it.

"Look, guys! We're totally staying within the letter of the Law. That means what we're doing must still be 100% legal!"
So what if they failed Ethics class, right?
They have been legally shipped away over the years
Well, it certainly does sound like they're in bed together, at least.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You're all speed capped to popular sites you visit. Invest in a VPN connection folks.
The only thing I need uncapped bandwidth for is torrenting, and I can assure you I am not capped in that area (other than the fact that my connection is only 16 megabit, and a VPN won't help me with that).

Hey guys, did you know your cable companies sometimes screw you over? You did? You can even prove? Great! Now go fuck off because you can't do anything about it.

One of the biggest mistakes our government has made is giving money to these bastards to build out infrastructure instead of building it out themselves and leasing it to them. Long live government funded oligopolies!

New article that gets some things right, and some things so very VERY wrong: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/wolff/2014/09/21/net-neutrality-debate/15881687/

It's this quote that shows a fundamental disconnect with how things work:
As much as 70% of Internet-distributed data is now video, 50% of it from Netflix. This new video industry — growing exponentially and transforming the nature of entertainment — is getting a free ride on the cable and telco investment in broadband.
NO THEY'RE FUCKING NOT!!!! They pay for access. As does the consumer. The companies that are sad here are because they over-promise, and under-deliver: "Oh sure, you get 10Mbps. Uh huh. Ya. That's yours. *wink*wink*". And then if you try and actually USE the capacity you are paying for, they get upset, with things like caps on data usage. This is basically what they say next: "Well you weren't actually supposed to USE that the whole time! We only wanted you to burst a webpage, and then stop! We don't ACTUALLY have the capacity we're selling you! You're running us into the poor house, boo hoo, etc"

Same thing on the "Netflix" end of things. Their provider themselves might be charging appropriately, but then the under-built infrastructure of the "last mile" people get upset that all their customers, all at once, are always (essentially) watching video all night, and they can't keep up.

This whole "problem" came about because people started actually using the capacity of broadband, instead of just "bursts" of it, which the cable/last mile internet companies were banking on. And Billions of dollars are being spent on lobbying to keep it that way so that they can keep selling capacity they don't have.

figmentPez

Staff member
NO THEY'RE FUCKING NOT!!!! They pay for access. As does the consumer. The companies that are sad here are because they over-promise, and under-deliver: "Oh sure, you get 10Mbps. Uh huh. Ya. That's yours. *wink*wink*". And then if you try and actually USE the capacity you are paying for, they get upset, with things like caps on data usage. This is basically what they say next: "Well you weren't actually supposed to USE that the whole time! We only wanted you to burst a webpage, and then stop! We don't ACTUALLY have the capacity we're selling you! You're running us into the poor house, boo hoo, etc"
Pretty much this. It's like if telephone companies tried to claim that people having 3 hour telephone conversations were getting a "free ride" on unlimited long distance plans. Uh, what? If you pay for unlimited long distance, and your friend pays for unlimited long distance, then there's no "free ride" involved. If telcos didn't anticipate how popular long phone calls would be, that's their problem, because they sold a service that they couldn't deliver.

Pretty much this. It's like if telephone companies tried to claim that people having 3 hour telephone conversations were getting a "free ride" on unlimited long distance plans. Uh, what? If you pay for unlimited long distance, and your friend pays for unlimited long distance, then there's no "free ride" involved. If telcos didn't anticipate how popular long phone calls would be, that's their problem, because they sold a service that they couldn't deliver.
The real problems are the lack of competition that keep the markets stagnant, the massive conflict of interest have with video providing services. It has nothing to do with popularity and infrastructure. It's them wanting to gouge out fresh competitors that are gaining traction. It's the same reason these guys are making TV+Internet bundles cheaper than Internet only rates to customers that try and cancel their cable.