[Announcement] Cog's Medical Fund

Dave

Staff member
Cog's wife is going to need reconstructive eye surgery following the Accident in which she was struck by a speeding driver. (As talked about in this thread.) This has been a pretty tough year for Cog and he doesn't have the cash for the medical bills.

So let's help him out. I know there's a lot of us with money issues. I'd be lying if I said I'm totally in the clear myself. But if you have any you can spare, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. I know we're (probably) not going to reach the $1,500 goal, but we can give it the old college try.

Some notes:
  • Because he doesn't live in the US, he can't take PayPal directly. So the money is coming to me and I'll figure out some way (Western Union?) to get it to him. If you have ideas on the subject, please by all means let me know!
  • The donation button on the side says, "Goal amount for this month". Ignore that. I had to get a new donation manager since our old one was not compatible with the updated software.
  • I've never used the new software, so if you run into any issues, please let me know and I'll get it fixed.
  • I will be adding $100 to the pot when this is all said and done, but it's not going to show up here since sending money to myself would be stupid.
Thanks for listening and thanks for helping out even if it's only a little.[DOUBLEPOST=1506550569,1506550519][/DOUBLEPOST]You can donate either by hitting the tab at the top of the page or the button in the sidebar. If you are on mobile I have no idea how it'll show up.

Dave

Staff member
By the way, apparently the donation thing updates daily. So if you donate but it does nothing, it'll show tomorrow.

Are you sure you couldn't use a digital wallet of some kind? Ecuador uses the US Dollar as its currency, so I think you could get around the currency conversion issues.

Please excuse me but I'm going to write this is spanish, because I don't think I can express how I feel if I use english (Please don't expect something more expresive, I'm just not good with words in any language):

Primero quiero agradecer a todos por su apoyo. Nunca he sido parte de un grupo como este, tan dispuesto a sacrificarse y apoyar a un total desconocido como yo. Más aún porque a pesar de que he sido parte de Halforums desde hace años, nunca he participado en la parte social del grupo, utilizando el foro principalmente para quejarme y mostrar fotos de mi hija y mascotas, rara vez formando parte de la conversación. Son un grupo de personas inteligentes e interesantes y siempre me siento frustrado por no sentirme capaz de ser un miembro más en un 100%. Siempre he sido una persona tímida y no sé como expresarme ante los demás. Parte de mi todavía quiere pedir a Dave que se olvide de todo y esconderme del grupo por lo avergonzado que me siento.

Pero, estos son tiempos difíciles y debo concentrarme en el bienestar del amor de mi vida, por lo que debo olvidarme de mis traumas y de mi orgullo y debo acudir a ustedes, que ya más de una vez me han tendido la mano cuando la he necesitado, pero sólo es ahora que me veo en la necesidad de tomarla. Mi agradecimiento no tiene límites.[DOUBLEPOST=1506559365,1506559272][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are you sure you couldn't use a digital wallet of some kind? Ecuador uses the US Dollar as its currency, so I think you could get around the currency conversion issues.
I've tried to register my bank accounts in paypal, but it's not possible. Paypal doesn't exists inside del banking system in this country. I don't know of any other service. I'm able to register my credit cards, and that's how I buy games, for example, but you can't put the money back in the card.

Dave

Staff member
From Google translate:

First, I want to thank everyone for their support. I've never been part of a group like this, so willing to sacrifice and support a total stranger like me. Even more so because even though I have been part of Halforums for years, I have never participated in the social part of the group, using the forum mainly to complain and show pictures of my daughter and pets, rarely being part of the conversation. They are a group of intelligent and interesting people and I am always frustrated because I do not feel able to be one more member in a 100%. I have always been a shy person and I do not know how to express myself to others. Part of me still wants to ask Dave to forget everything and hide from the group for how embarrassed I feel.

But these are difficult times and I must concentrate on the welfare of the love of my life, so I must forget my traumas and my pride and I must go to you, who have already stretched out my hand to me when I have needy, but it is only now that I find myself in need of taking it. My thanks have no limits.
First, it's fine. We've all been there.

Second, if I can get you the money some other way than Western Union I will. If not, I'll just have to eat the fees, whatever they are.

Primero quiero agradecer a todos por su apoyo. Nunca he sido parte de un grupo como este, tan dispuesto a sacrificarse y apoyar a un total desconocido como yo. Más aún porque a pesar de que he sido parte de Halforums desde hace años, nunca he participado en la parte social del grupo, utilizando el foro principalmente para quejarme y mostrar fotos de mi hija y mascotas, rara vez formando parte de la conversación. Son un grupo de personas inteligentes e interesantes y siempre me siento frustrado por no sentirme capaz de ser un miembro más en un 100%. Siempre he sido una persona tímida y no sé como expresarme ante los demás. Parte de mi todavía quiere pedir a Dave que se olvide de todo y esconderme del grupo por lo avergonzado que me siento.

Pero, estos son tiempos difíciles y debo concentrarme en el bienestar del amor de mi vida, por lo que debo olvidarme de mis traumas y de mi orgullo y debo acudir a ustedes, que ya más de una vez me han tendido la mano cuando la he necesitado, pero sólo es ahora que me veo en la necesidad de tomarla. Mi agradecimiento no tiene límites.
In case Google or whomever murders the translation, here's my go at it:
"First, I want to thank everyone for their support. Never have I been part of a group like this, so willing to personally sacrifice and support a total stranger like myself. Especially because even though I have been part of Halforums for some years, I have never participated in the social aspect of the group, using the forum mainly to vent and show pictures of my daughter and pets, rarely participating in the conversation. [The forum] is a group of intelligent and interesting people and I am always frustrated [-ing myself] that I do not feel able to be [more than] just another member in [of] a 100%. I have always been a shy person and I do not know how to express myself [before/in front of] others. Part of me still wants to ask Dave to forget everything and hide from the group for how embarrassed I feel.

But these are difficult times and I [have a duty to] concentrate [my efforts] on the welfare of the love of my life, thus I must needs forget my trauma and [swallow] my pride and I must go to you [all], who have already reached out to me repeatedly when I have needed it, but it is only now that I am realizing how much I need [this]. My thanks have no limits."

Oh, hey, Dave already ran it through Google while I was trying to simultaneously translate and yell at my kid to get back in bed a dozen times.
Well.

--Patrick

Payday was last week, groceries are tomorrow, we will see how much is left afterwards.
(I don't want to seem insensitive, but my first priority has to be for my more immediate family here at home)

Oh and @Dave, there's always the option of international money orders, though they max at $500-700 (depending on where they're going) I think, so you'd need to purchase a few of them, and then there's the question of getting them there reliably. He may want to let us know the best way from his end.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Payday was last week, groceries are tomorrow, we will see how much is left afterwards.
(I don't want to seem insensitive, but my first priority has to be for my more immediate family here at home)

--Patrick
I don't think that's insensitive. Of course you have to take care of your immediate family first.

Again, I don't know how to say this. I appreciate all your help, but please don't over exert yourselves for us.

If not, I'll just have to eat the fees, whatever they are.
Not a lot, especially when sending to another country. I don't know the exact rates off the top of my head, but it should be around $10 for up to $1000. More than that I'd have to double check, because things get wonky with anti money laundering laws.

Source- western union agent is one of my many hats.

Dave

Staff member
The amounts are not updating with the cron job. Don't know why.

Right now the donated amount is $600. (Although after PayPal fees this drops to $550.37.)

Reactions: Cog

Dave

Staff member
Looking at the addon itself, there's a couple of items that haven't hit my PayPal yet. Probably because they are coming from somewhere other than the US. If you add those in, the total is sitting at $1405 BEFORE PayPal fees. And I have no idea what that would take it to. And that is also NOT counting my $100.

So we're almost there already! Then I have to figure out how to get it to him.

The amounts are not updating with the cron job. Don't know why.

Right now the donated amount is $600. (Although after PayPal fees this drops to $550.37.)
Do you mean that the amount getting to YOU is dropping due to PayPal's fees? Or is that how much will go to Cog after taking out the fees?

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Do you mean that the amount getting to YOU is dropping due to PayPal's fees? Or is that how much will go to Cog after taking out the fees?

--Patrick
Yes. PayPal takes fees and then there’s going to be fees to send it to Cog. So if you donate $100 I get $95 or so to send.

For future reference venmo (owned by PayPal) doesn't have a fee like that. There are certain ways people can scam with it but if you trust everyone, that'd be something you could do.

Dave

Staff member
For future reference venmo (owned by PayPal) doesn't have a fee like that. There are certain ways people can scam with it but if you trust everyone, that'd be something you could do.
I did not know that, but more importantly the addon only goes to PayPal. I suppose for next time I can see if there’s a Venmo app.

I did not know that, but more importantly the addon only goes to PayPal. I suppose for next time I can see if there’s a Venmo app.
It's meant to be transactions between friends and whatnot so you'd have to give your real name out. However your're kinda past that point. Just a thought.

It's acceptable to give us a username, e-mail, or other means to send the stuff--the extra step is way worth 5% more cash ending up where it's needed. It's not like the forum hasn't donated to crowdfunding sites before.

Is there a way I can donate without using PayPal? They randomly froze my account a couple of years back and I never bothered to get it fixed