[Bug] Clicking on a post doesn't jump to Recent Unread sometimes

I thought it was user error the first few times it happened but recently it seems that clicking on a thread title (from the New Posts list) lands me on the first post of the thread instead of the most recent unread post. I am not sure how to reproduce it because on the next thread it works again. In fact, I'm not certain still that it isn't user error but I lean towards there being a bug in the First Unread add-on.

GasBandit

Staff member
I thought it was user error the first few times it happened but recently it seems that clicking on a thread title (from the New Posts list) lands me on the first post of the thread instead of the most recent unread post. I am not sure how to reproduce it because on the next thread it works again. In fact, I'm not certain still that it isn't user error but I lean towards there being a bug in the First Unread add-on.
I've noticed this has always happened if a certain amount of time has gone by between the most recent post and the one before it. I think that amount is somewhere around a week or two. The "fix" is to basically click the "go to first unread" button once you load up the thread... it's right at the top of the first post in the thread, over the OP's avatar. It works right from there.

Doesn't clicking on the title always lead to the first post? I thought you had to click the little blue ball to go to first unread.

GasBandit

Staff member
Doesn't clicking on the title always lead to the first post? I thought you had to click the little blue ball to go to first unread.
Not always. As I said, if the post before the first unread post in a thread has been made recently, clicking the title will also take you to that first unread post. However, if an amount of time (the exact amount of which I am unsure) has passed between the new post(s) and the most recent read post, it will just take you to the start of the thread. But, as you say, the small bubble between the OP's avatar and the title will always take you to the first unread post.

I'm having this problem with recent posts sometimes, but usually only on my phone? At least I think it's recent posts, since I'm using the show new posts option first.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, further testing has shown me that it's simpler than I thought - clicking on the title of a thread only takes you to the first unread post if you have previously viewed that thread within the last day or so. If you haven't viewed the thread in that time period, the link will take you to the first post in the thread.

Clicking the dot/bubble at the left of the thread title still will always take you to the first unread.

I've seen this happen on other Xenforo boards, but usually after I haven't visited in weeks or months, not a couple of days.

I'm pretty sure it's only a problem on my mobile chrome, and not on my PC. Don't ask me why THAT is.

I've noticed this has always happened if a certain amount of time has gone by between the most recent post and the one before it. I think that amount is somewhere around a week or two. The "fix" is to basically click the "go to first unread" button once you load up the thread... it's right at the top of the first post in the thread, over the OP's avatar. It works right from there.
I know. It's just an extra step[DOUBLEPOST=1491531282,1491531189][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm pretty sure it's only a problem on my mobile chrome, and not on my PC. Don't ask me why THAT is.
It happens on my desktop.

Ok, further testing has shown me that it's simpler than I thought - clicking on the title of a thread only takes you to the first unread post if you have previously viewed that thread within the last day or so. If you haven't viewed the thread in that time period, the link will take you to the first post in the thread.

Clicking the dot/bubble at the left of the thread title still will always take you to the first unread.
I've been accepting this behaviour for months. I thought it was intentional.

(I also always felt like the time period is maybe a little less than a week)

(On a samsung tablet)