[News] Chocolate Walnut Ice Cream Meltdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self-made man. Worked from humble, poor beginnings to CEO of a major corporation. There's a lot to like about him, especially in comparison to the rest of the Republican field.
Actually, I think he was just asking you not to vote because you're Canadian. It's illegal and everything.

I'll give you no international experience, but that's basically it. (And it certainly didn't hurt Obama). He is charismatic, an excellent public speaker and I'll never understand where this 'lacks intelligence' comes from. I've watched every debate that he's participated in and I've never got the sense that he's not intelligent; especially with Perry and Bachmann on stage.

Every taxation plan a politician proposes is a gimmick. As for not cutting his losses, I think the upcoming press conference about what Cain's 'sexual harassment' actually entailed will be fairly illuminating.
Mostly the lack of intellegence shots against Cain comes from his inability to articulate his position.

For example when he was asked a question about the "Right of return" one of the fundamental problems in the Isreal-Palestine conflict his initial response was "Of course the Palestinians should be allowed to return to their homes in Isreal." A little unrealistic and completely unexpected sure but a clear position. Then he talked to his people and realized that in no way should he indicate not supporting Isreal so he came out with the often repeated lie of "Those Palestinians were traitors who deserved to have their homes taken."

Then of course their was his belief that abortion should be left up to the woman and the government should have no say in it. Then one of his people talked to him and he rearticulated his opinion that it should undoubtably be illegal but it was still the woman's choice as to whether or not to get an abortion. Technically true that she could get an illegal abortion but making it illegal definately isn't leaving the government out of the choice.

There are numerous examples of this kind of "speak clearly now muddy the waters later" soundbites that come out of Cain. He may be intellegent but nothing I've seen have lead me to believe it.

There's a difference between being inarticulate and being unintelligent.
He recently commented on how he views China as a military threat because they're trying to develop nuclear weapons. Now. In 2011.

How is that not unintelligent?

He recently commented on how he views China as a military threat because they're trying to develop nuclear weapons. Now. In 2011.

How is that not unintelligent?
"And secondly, we already have superiority in terms of our military capability, and I plan to get away from making cutting our defense a priority and make investing in our military capability a priority, going back to my statement: peace through strength and clarity. So yes, they're a military threat. They've indicated that they're trying to develop nuclear capability, and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat."
Not one to parse words, but "developing nuclear capability" can mean that they're improving their existing capabilities, not that they're creating them. He did after all, in the context of this quote, say they are trying to develop MORE carriers like we have.

Per Cain:

Cain addressed the gaffe in an interview with Ginni Thomas of The Daily Caller on Wednesday evening, and attempted to clarify his comments.
"Maybe I misspoke," he said. "What I meant was China does not have the size of the nuclear capability that we have. They do have a nuclear capability. I was talking about their total nuclear capability."

I don't buy that for a second. Anyone talking about enhancing existing technology would never say "develop nuclear capability." You combine this with comments about "Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan" and boasts about not following foreign policy, and it all begins to paint a picture of a man who thinks foreign policy is unimportant. I bet money he couldn't find Uzbekistan on a map, couldn't say what language people speak in Switzerland, and wouldn't have the first clue about what to say and what not to say in a meeting with the Chinese. Foreign policy is hugely important, and it's going to take up a large chuck of the president's time... so why would you elect a person who views foreign policy with disdain?

I don't know. Obama was elected, so I'm assuming that knowledge in foreign policy isn't as important to the electorate as, well, anything.

I don't know. Obama was elected, so I'm assuming that knowledge in foreign policy isn't as important to the electorate as, well, anything.
Except Obama's been excellent in his foreign policy. I'd even go as far as to say it's the only thing he's consistently gotten right during his candidacy.

There's a fundamental difference in that he didn't make ignorant comments, then defend those comments as someone who doesn't care about foreign policy. Besides, he was well spoken, which suggested he could have the polish necessary for a diplomat. Herman Cain is continuously making verbal gaffes and confusing statements. Herman Cain also displays an almost aggressive tone when talking about foreign countries, reminiscent of the "you're with us or you're the enemy" style of diplomacy from the second Bush administration. That aggressive style was considered by many to have caused more problems in the world, especially relating to how foreign countries view the US.

There's a fundamental difference in that he didn't make ignorant comments, then defend those comments as someone who doesn't care about foreign policy. Besides, he was well spoken, which suggested he could have the polish necessary for a diplomat. Herman Cain is continuously making verbal gaffes and confusing statements. Herman Cain also displays an almost aggressive tone when talking about foreign countries, reminiscent of the "you're with us or you're the enemy" style of diplomacy from the second Bush administration. That aggressive style was considered by many to have caused more problems in the world, especially relating to how foreign countries view the US.
Agreed.

Except Obama's been excellent in his foreign policy. I'd even go as far as to say it's the only thing he's consistently gotten right during his candidacy.
Agreed.

C

Chibibar

Agree. I know that some people might say "well Obama got great speech writers" true and Obama uses the teleprompter a lot BUT at least Obama keep in mind of foreign policies. I don't see that in Cain doing that.

no matter what people view our country or other country, foreign policy is big now compare 30-50 years ago. It is a world market now and we can't really close off to the world. Depending on what you say and how you say it, some countries will take great offense.

Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc surrounded themselves with smart people, and consulted with them before talking. Bush was prone to bush-isms, but the thing is that they trusted their people and learned from them before speaking, nevermind making policy decisions.

I don't see this from what little I've seen of Cain. He seems to think he already has enough information, and makes decisions based on his limited perspective. I could be very wrong - in which case the problem is that he's surrounded himself with equally stupid people, but in general successful people surround themselves with smart people and hash things out continuously with them until they understand the situation well enough to make a decision.

Half of politics is networking, the other half is superior firepower.

Stienman, I think he's surrounded himself with stupid people, which is evidenced by how terrible they handle any adversity in the campaign.

Exhibit A:
I know that's being used as an example of a terrible campaign, but that damn ad has gotten more views than Jesus. Simply based on this apoplexy from the left on "Look at how terrible this ad is!", it's seen more prime time airings that any other political ad yet.

Well, maybe the demon sheep ad was comparable.

I was using it more as an example of the people he surrounds himself with, since his chief of staff seems to think smoking into the camera would get votes. I know Cain is still doing well in the polls, but I don't think anyone ever said they like Cain because of those nice ads on YouTube.

I was using it more as an example of the people he surrounds himself with, since his chief of staff seems to think smoking into the camera would get votes. I know Cain is still doing well in the polls, but I don't think anyone ever said they like Cain because of those nice ads on YouTube.
It did work though. They're up in the polls and in fundraising, despite the sexy harassment controversy. I don't know how, I don't know why. But it worked because people saw it.

Name recognition and branding is important. Bad publicity is still publicity. There's also a certain element of anti-PC that appeals to many. I don't care for smoking, but be true to yourself. There is a mild hypocrisy to presenting a squeaky clean PC image, but being yourself when you think no one is looking.

GasBandit

Staff member
You bastards. You hid. A political thread. Under a heading I had absolutely NO INTEREST in. I only stumbled across it by accident because I was looking for a suitable thread to post "NOOOOOOO!" about dippin' dots going bankrupt.

sixpack, you are officially on my shit list.
Added at: 16:55
Well, I'm hopelessly late to the party, so screw it. I'll just say these two things -

Clinton had 2 women name themselves publicly and accuse him of sexual harassment. In the words of the washington post, you couldn't walk through JFK's white house without having cakes constantly ejecting nude women onto you. Even FDR philandered on his wife for nigh on 30 years.

But now Herman Cain is accused anonymously, and we get treated to dozens upon dozens of shouts of "LOL CAIN'S DONE! ROFL" from the media that studiously ignored or excused clinton 15 years ago.

Thing two:
I saw a bumper sticker that said "If you voted for Obama to prove you weren't racist, now you can vote for Cain to prove you're not retarded." :D

You bastards. You hid. A political thread. Under a heading I had absolutely NO INTEREST in. I only stumbled across it by accident because I was looking for a suitable thread to post "NOOOOOOO!" about dippin' dots going bankrupt.

sixpack, you are officially on my shit list.
There is no such thing as Black Walnut Ice Cream (any longer, but I am sure Hagen Daz will dig the recipe back up.) So it only applies to Cain now.

Well, I'm hopelessly late to the party, so screw it. I'll just say these two things -

Clinton had 2 women name themselves publicly and accuse him of sexual harassment. In the words of the washington post, you couldn't walk through JFK's white house without having cakes constantly ejecting nude women onto you. Even FDR philandered on his wife for nigh on 30 years.

But now Herman Cain is accused anonymously, and we get treated to dozens upon dozens of shouts of "LOL CAIN'S DONE! ROFL" from the media that studiously ignored or excused clinton 15 years ago.
Perhaps, but they were also in office when it happened. If you go too far against a sitting president, your network/organization loses it's privilege with the White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.