[News] Chocolate Walnut Ice Cream Meltdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he got pissed at the press, and now they're going to try and bury him harder than before?

Only people worse than the politicians are the reporters that cover them.

Dave

Staff member
As someone who has seen people accused of sexual harassment for things that I considered to be normal banter by women who seemed to be looking to be upset about something I tend to withhold my derision for people accused of this until all facts are out in the open - if they ever are. Not saying he didn't do it or condoning his actions if he did - and having multiple women come forth is not a good sign for denial - but I'm not going to deride the guy without proof.

As for the tirade against the reporters...good for him. Once those vultures get their claws into a story nothing else he does matters.

I don't like him as a candidate and wouldn't vote for him based on his policies, but digging up dirt from 20 years ago is just stupid. 20 years ago I was a totally different person than I am now.

When he could not meet the scrutiny of Fox News, and kept changing his story... I knew he was done for.
Added at: 17:17
I don't like him as a candidate and wouldn't vote for him based on his policies, but digging up dirt from 20 years ago is just stupid. 20 years ago I was a totally different person than I am now.
But he was your age then.

From that Politico report (which is the one that broke the news,) it sounds like it was someone from the National Restaurant association tipped them off to the harassment scandal.

As for the tirade against the reporters...good for him. Once those vultures get their claws into a story nothing else he does matters.
If he can't handle this, how is he going to handle the daily crap he would have to put up with as president? Would a person burning him in effigy make him lose his temper? Would he declare war on a country if he saw some of their citizens screaming bad things about him on the news? Would he have the Secret Service push around reporters who ask hard questions? I get the whole hatred of the media, but sometimes they have every right to ask questions that the candidate doesn't want to hear. His reaction to all this has shown some serious flaws in his approach to leadership.

There are so many smart ways to handle such things. He's inviting them to attack him over two incidents in his life.

"There was no criminal investigation. There was no criminal wrongdoing. I was the target of two civil harassment lawsuits during my time at an association with deep pockets. It was more prudent for the business to settle the lawsuits than it was to fight them. They are sealed to protect everyone involved, both those named in the lawsuit, and other employees and people affected by the lawsuit. If I had a problem harassing others in any way, you would see more than just a few lawsuits, and doubtless you would be able to find unsealed lawsuits. I'm sure many of you have been digging for such records and are unable to find them - they do not exist because I do not sexually, or in any other way, harass women. I won't tell you what questions to ask and not ask, but my answer to all further questions regarding these two particular lawsuits is and will be: I will not comment on sealed orders in order to protect ALL those who were involved."

Dave

Staff member
But he was your age then.
So? 20 years is a long time. In 20 years I will be a different person than I am now.

And some of the things my workmates and I talk about might very well get me dinged for harassment. Not sexual because I don't usually do that, but inappropriate speech and or statements.

Again, not saying he didn't do it, just that I'm not in a rush for judgement or even really think it's salient to the conversation of his ability to be president.

How much do you expect his personality to change from 50 to 65?

If you are harassing a small number of employees, you will not get many people coming out of the wood work.

My problem is, he did not keep his mouth shut, or have a pat answer ready for a major mar on his record. He's run for national office twice before, and even told a staffer about the allegations and hush money during the 2004 Senatorial bid.

It's salient if he has a chronic problem with it. It's salient if it's truly sexual harassment, rather than inappropriate behavior.

But the plaintiffs in both cases agreed to a sealed case. Period. They chose to keep silent in exchange for money. They implicitly accepted that they would never be able to warn another woman regarding his behavior.

Perhaps they were abused and hushed up. If there was a string of such lawsuits, I might wonder about that - but this is just two cases in a lifetime of, what, 40 adult years?

Color me skeptical.

I will say this: if you are willing to give Bill Clinton a pass for the whole sex scandal thing, but want to claim that Herman Cain's alleged sexual harassment from the 90's might affect his ability to be president, you are a hypocrite. I'm not saying anyone here does that, but I have seen members of the press guilty of this double standard.

There is a difference between an unwanted sexual advance, and consensual sexual infidelity. Harassment is fundamentally different than immorality. Just because they both have to do with sex doesn't mean they are comparable.

I will say this: if you are willing to give Bill Clinton a pass for the whole sex scandal thing, but want to claim that Herman Cain's alleged sexual harassment from the 90's might affect his ability to be president, you are a hypocrite. I'm not saying anyone here does that, but I have seen members of the press guilty of this double standard.
No shit.

I don't like Cain or think he ought to be president but it's been feeling like the press have been slobbering over taking down him down for awhile.

“Stand back! . . . Do not push me! . . . Pushing is against the law!. . . Watch out!. . . Get a grip on yourself!” “What part of ‘no’ don't some people understand?”
Reading this in Will Ferrell's voice makes it 100% more awesome.

I don't like Cain or think he ought to be president but it's been feeling like the press have been slobbering over taking down him down for awhile.
He's just the craziest dog in the pound right now, and that grabs eyeballs, which results in more profitable advertising. Therefore it is the reporter's duty to keep poking at him to get the latest and greatest soundbite for their audience.

It isn't news if reporting on it doesn't feel just a little icky.

C

Chibibar

you know. I don't agree with his politics, but I think this is a low blow digging up his past. Now granted some stuff in the past DOES matter in the present (like being a mass murderer or commit crime at some point)

Sexual harassment is a tricky subject really. My wife said I can be flirtatious but I just think being nice. Many people in the office are comfortable with it and didn't have a case against me, but I can see some women who might be intolerable saying that "you have nice legs" = sexual harassment (which happen at my work via someone else)

Dave

Staff member
The only thing that bugs me about the whole thing is that he HAD to have known this would come out, yet he had nothing prepared and seemed taken aback by it. This either means he sucks at planning anything or he's so arrogant that he thought nobody would dare attack him.

Either way he loses.

C

Chibibar

The only thing that bugs me about the whole thing is that he HAD to have known this would come out, yet he had nothing prepared and seemed taken aback by it. This either means he sucks at planning anything or he's so arrogant that he thought nobody would dare attack him.

Either way he loses.
you are right. I was thinking of something similar. It happen one form or another, but have nothing prepare? It is not a good sign of a leader considering that when you become president, all kinds of stuff will get thrown at you.

Honestly, everything I ever needed to know about Herman Cain I learned from this debacle: His gross inability to ether fess up to it (like Clinton eventually did) or to at least form a coherent, believable lie and stick to it tells me he simply does not have the skills necessary to be a politician.

I don't even care if he actually did anything to those women. I'm just embarrassed that he's so bad at dealing with it. Definitely not the kind of shortcoming you want in a president.

He's purported to be in the lead. Dirt will be dug up. That's how this always works. Why are people surprised by this?

All he had to do was treat it like the non issue it is. Denying it and then the same day admitting to it was horribly stupid, and candidates have been denied the chance to become president because of much stupider issues.

C

Chibibar

He's purported to be in the lead. Dirt will be dug up. That's how this always works. Why are people surprised by this?

All he had to do was treat it like the non issue it is. Denying it and then the same day admitting to it was horribly stupid, and candidates have been denied the chance to become president because of much stupider issues.
I am surprise that his PR person didn't have better damage control or Cain didn't have something prepare for this.

Cain first denied everything, then forget, then remember, then talk about a little, and remember some more.

I am surprise that his PR person didn't have better damage control or Cain didn't have something prepare for this.

Cain first denied everything, then forget, then remember, then talk about a little, and remember some more.
Yeah, it seems as if his campaign manager is doing a craptacular job.

Well if you remember Y2K, Cain ran just to get his name out there and increase his speaking fees and sell a few books. This year it looked like he was doing the same thing, but his wacky shenanigans caught on with the Tea Party.

P

Philosopher B.

Only people worse than the politicians are the reporters that cover them.
Boo fucking hoo?

You're right, there's a huge difference. Twenty years ago he may have gone about sexually harassing women over whom he held power. Now he's just an attention-seeking clown shoes moron. Sweet change.

Man, I can't wait to see what slimy right-wing kook forces me to vote Obama again.

Self-made man. Worked from humble, poor beginnings to CEO of a major corporation. There's a lot to like about him, especially in comparison to the rest of the Republican field.
Hermain Cain's problem is that all of his positive traits have nothing to do with politics. He has no government experience, no international experience, he lacks charisma in a debate, he lacks intelligence in a debate, his sole taxation plan is a gimmick, and he sure as hell doesn't know when to cut his losses.

I honestly have no fucking idea why he is the Republican front runner.

I'll give you no international experience, but that's basically it. (And it certainly didn't hurt Obama). He is charismatic, an excellent public speaker and I'll never understand where this 'lacks intelligence' comes from. I've watched every debate that he's participated in and I've never got the sense that he's not intelligent; especially with Perry and Bachmann on stage.

Every taxation plan a politician proposes is a gimmick. As for not cutting his losses, I think the upcoming press conference about what Cain's 'sexual harassment' actually entailed will be fairly illuminating.

Status
Not open for further replies.