Childhood Programs and Live-Action Films: What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#37
Biker Mice From Mars
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (I'm VERY surprised that's never been done, honestly)
Gargoyles (hey, Disney's starting to bring back old school animation. I don't think it could be pulled off in live action)
 
S

Scarlet Varlet

#38
Rob King said:
The Adventures of Tintin
There's a TinTin in the works, due 2011.

Directed by Spielberg (I worry, I really do. He does as many terrible pictures now as good.)

Voiced by Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Jamie Bell, Cary Elwes, among others.
------------

How about an Ultima series of films, with Richard Garriott playing the role of the King. :rofl:
 
#39
filmfanatic said:
Hey guys. For a while now, there has been a trend of taking cartoons and making live-action films out of them. So, thus I have begun to ponder what shows from my youth will eventually make the chopping block that is the live-action Hollywood adaptation. I've decided to extend the question now to all of you Halforumites. What television programs from your childhood past do you think Hollywood will eventually try to mine?

Personally, shows that I had once watched I think will hit the big screen at some point include:

Pokemon
Sailor Moon

Freakazoid
Johnny Bravo
Power Rangers
Already have had movies, while Pokemon is too huge as an anime (the year the first Pokemon movie came out, it profitted more than most)

Johny Bravo and Freakazoid are relatively small and unknown compared to most cartoons. So Im guessing its either Thundercats/another He-man movie, or a Ben 10
 
#41
Thats why I mentioned that Pokemon had an anime movie. :slywink:
Nintendo will never sell Pokemon when they have a money-earner in their own anime movies. However, dont be surprised if a shitty Zelda or Metroid movie get made.
 
Reactions
20 0 0
#42
Shegokigo said:
Josie and the Pussycats happens to be a cult hit and one of my favorite movies.
You just lost all credibility with that statement. I don't know what cult made that movie a hit but lock them up and keep them away from society. I'm assuming they are all into Hello Kitty and worship Tara Reid.
There is no movie that follows the Hollywood formula better than this one (actually it's more along the lines of a bad TV sitcom). Denise the Menace would have been awesome had I been 5 when it came out. I'll give you Scooby Doo it was bad in a "we know this is going to suck" way like the Brady Bunch movie. The first Transformers kicks all their back ends. You're welcome.
 
Reactions
640 43 0
#43
JCM said:
filmfanatic said:
Hey guys. For a while now, there has been a trend of taking cartoons and making live-action films out of them. So, thus I have begun to ponder what shows from my youth will eventually make the chopping block that is the live-action Hollywood adaptation. I've decided to extend the question now to all of you Halforumites. What television programs from your childhood past do you think Hollywood will eventually try to mine?

Personally, shows that I had once watched I think will hit the big screen at some point include:

Pokemon
Sailor Moon

Freakazoid
Johnny Bravo
Power Rangers
Already have had movies, while Pokemon is too huge as an anime (the year the first Pokemon movie came out, it profitted more than most)

Johny Bravo and Freakazoid are relatively small and unknown compared to most cartoons. So Im guessing its either Thundercats/another He-man movie, or a Ben 10
I know that Pokemon and Sailor Moon have had films, but I do think we'll see Hollywood try to make live-action films out of them in the States. With Power Rangers, as I said, I could see them doing a reboot and just take things back to basics.

As to Johnny Bravo, there were actually plans for a while to make a movie out of it. It would have starred Dwayne Johnson and been about Johnny Bravo going on a road trip to try to find his father.
 
Reactions
969 73 2
#44
Actually, Ben 10 has already had two live action, made for TV movies produced. One for Ben 10 and one for Alien Force.
 
L

lafftaff

#45
If they could find a proper way to do Reboot I would love to see that.

My other childhood cartoons would make terrible movies. I don't think there's any way to properly put Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Popples, or Doug in live-action movie form.
 
Reactions
969 73 2
#46
lafftaff said:
If they could find a proper way to do Reboot I would love to see that.

My other childhood cartoons would make terrible movies. I don't think there's any way to properly put Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Popples, or Doug in live-action movie form.
They are supposedly working on some more ReBoot movies. They already have an online comic.
 
M

Mr. Lawface

#47
If done right, a live action Samurai Jack movie would be epic.
 
Reactions
191 30 0
#48
Mr. Lawface said:
If done right, a live action Samurai Jack movie would be epic.
Not sure about that, really. Part of SJ's appeal was the stylized animation.
 
M

Mr. Lawface

#49
Wahad said:
Mr. Lawface said:
If done right, a live action Samurai Jack movie would be epic.
Not sure about that, really. Part of SJ's appeal was the stylized animation.
It would be very hard to do right.
 
Reactions
1,463 540 7
#50
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zBoy65nlk:2i8o41ve][/youtube:2i8o41ve]

I want this cartoon made into a movie and I want an Australian Wolverine.
 

figmentPez

Staff member
Reactions
3,430 638 7
#51
Aisaku said:
One that I'm willing to bet will never get made is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
I googled that and instantly recognized the toys. I can't remember a thing about the series plot, characters or anything else, but I remember the toys and their interchangeable parts.
 
Reactions
42 1 0
#52
ThatNickGuy said:
Gargoyles (hey, Disney's starting to bring back old school animation. I don't think it could be pulled off in live action)
How did I not think of this, that would be amazing.
Steve said:
You just lost all credibility with that statement.
With who? You? Someone who thinks Transformers was a succesful movie about something they didn't even feature? I'll take that as a compliment.
Steve said:
I don't know what cult made that movie a hit but lock them up and keep them away from society. I'm assuming they are all into Hello Kitty and worship Tara Reid.
I have no idea how you associate those two things with Josie, I REALLY don't.
Steve said:
Denise the Menace would have been awesome had I been 5 when it came out.
Guess you missed the part where I said a successful family film, you know the kind, the ones that don't have a ton of curse words and even more violence.
Steve said:
The first Transformers kicks all their back ends. You're welcome.
Welcome for what? Proving my point completely? Well thank you then.
Mr. Lawface said:
If done right, a live action Samurai Jack movie would be epic.
I have always been a huge fan, I own the entire series on DVD and watch them every couple of months. I used to think this couldn't be done either, but after watching Sin City and The Spirit, it's obvious that stylized live action can be done, it's just hard to pull off everytime.
 
A

Alucard

#53
Robotech
Digimon (live action could be done right)
Gargoyles
 
Reactions
640 43 0
#55
Mr. Lawface said:
If done right, a live action Samurai Jack movie would be epic.
Okay now, that's the one which I don't really want to see them try. Not because I don't think it would turn out well, but just because of the sheer quality of the original series.
 
Reactions
969 73 2
#56
filmfanatic said:
Mr. Lawface said:
If done right, a live action Samurai Jack movie would be epic.
Okay now, that's the one which I don't really want to see them try. Not because I don't think it would turn out well, but just because of the sheer quality of the original series.
Besides, Makoto "Mako" Iwamatsu, the voice of Ako, has been dead for at least 2-3 years. It wouldn't be right without at least HIM returning from the original cast.
 
A

Aisaku

#59
figmentPez said:
Aisaku said:
One that I'm willing to bet will never get made is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
I googled that and instantly recognized the toys. I can't remember a thing about the series plot, characters or anything else, but I remember the toys and their interchangeable parts.
I remember it fondly as the closest thing we got to Star Wars in the saturday morning cartoon era.

Also, it was written by J. Michael Straczynski. Of course I didn't knew back then, that's what wikipedia's for.
 
#61
filmfanatic said:
Okay now, that's the one which I don't really want to see them try. Not because I don't think it would turn out well, but just because of the sheer quality of the original series.
I still don't understand how any of this hurts the original of anything. If this were true, William Shakespeare's plays would be the worst shit ever written.

You see, because it is adapted over and over and over and is still some of the greatest writing of all-time.
 
Reactions
640 43 0
#62
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I still don't understand how any of this hurts the original of anything. If this were true, William Shakespeare's plays would be the worst poop ever written.

You see, because it is adapted over and over and over and is still some of the greatest writing of all-time.
I don't think a live-action Samurai Jack film would hurt the original series. I guess that best way to phrase it is that it's just great how it is and I hope to see it stay like that.

If they ever do make a live-action Samurai Jack film, I'll end up seeing it. It's just a show that I would have seen better as animated than brought to live-action.
 
S

Steven Soderburgin

#63
I don't think Samurai Jack would work as a live-action movie because so much of what makes it great is the highly stylized artwork and animation.

I would love to see a really well-done, big budget Lupin III live action movie.
 
Reactions
743 117 11
#65
Frankie said:
I want this cartoon made into a movie and I want an Australian Wolverine.
I give you Australia:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwrQ3HETqlY:mutals6g][/youtube:mutals6g]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top