[Brazelton] Centerfold is dead (J. Geils)

Ouch.

Peter Wolf, though. He's still going.
"Next time you place your order, don't forget to say...NOOOO ANNNCHOVIES, PLEASE"

--Patrick

My 80's playlist is not complete without Centerfold and Freeze Frame. I especially remember that milk/snare drum gag in one of those videos. Too bad. Didn't realize he was my dad's age. RIP rock star.

Dave

Staff member
Both terrible songs. "Love Stinks" is okay. "(Ain't Nothin' but ) Houseparty" rocks. "I Do" is just fun. "Give It To Me" is funky fun.

But Centerfold and Freeze Frame? Ugh.

Centerfold is, well it's just odd, in kind of a weird, skeevy way - but it holds a special place in my heart. When I was in high school, Centerfold was one of the favorite songs of one of our rival schools' pep-bands; but they were an even smaller school than us and would sometimes only have 3 or 4 people playing over a basic synth track (their band was bigger than that, but most of them played the sport that we were attending, so they were on the court). We played them so frequently that one of my buddies and I were able to pick up the parts for his trombone and my baritone sax, and (with the permission of our band leader) played along with them a few times. The experience was awesome.

But yeah, Centerfold is a weird, weird, odd, song; and it's catchy.

Dave

Staff member
But yeah, Centerfold is a weird, weird, odd, song; and it's catchy.
It's like a neckbeard "nice guy" anthem. A guy that obsessed about a girl in high school and now she's in a nudie mag, so of COURSE she'd be willing to go back to a hotel room with him and take her clothes off in private. It's a very weird, stalkery song that isn't even musically interesting.

GasBandit

Staff member
Centerfold was one of my stepdad's favorite songs. I heard it so often I had the lyrics memorized when I was 5. I didn't know what the words meant, I just had the phonetics imprinted on me through repetition. Kinda like how kindergartners know the Pledge without actually understanding the words.

now she's in a nudie mag, so of COURSE she'd be willing to go back to a hotel room with him and take her clothes off in private.
I always read it as that the singer was lamenting her decision to show herself to a world full of people she didn't know instead of that shy kid she was friendly with in high school.
And then he caves and buys the magazine to finally peek and see what he missed.

"Love Stinks" was one of my favorite songs growing up. My mother hated it, wouldn't let me listen to it. Me, I've always had a Bill McNeal attitude towards music--I didn't care about the words, it was just a cool song*.

--Patrick
*Other examples: "Separate Ways," "25 or 6 to 4," "Double Vision," "Her Strut."