[PC Game] Captain Poe wants YOU to rule the skies (Guns of Icarus Online)

Do YOU have what it takes to rule the skies? Do you want to join Captain Poe and his relentless crew for epic steampunk blimp battles? Do you wanna build... a flying death machine?

Guns of Icarus Online is having an out of Beta sale, and in celebration I've decided to pick up a 4-pack. That means I have 3 keys to give away to people that want to man my crew. What is Guns of Icarus? Imagine FTL, but with steampunk blimps instead of spaceships. Also, in 3D, in first person, and every member of the crew is a real player.

Take a look at some gameplay footage from Angry Joe and some other Polaris people (including CaptainBiscuit)

Relevant part starts at 1:22 if it doesn't auto-start there

What do you have to do to join my crew? The rules are simple.

Rule 1: You can't be @Jay
Rule 2: Tell me why blimps are awesome.
Rule 3: Ok fine, you can be @Jay

I'll pick my crew after an arbitrary amount of time that you won't know about until I've decided it. THIS IS MY SHIP BITCHES.

I'm working 10 hour shifts every day right now, so as much as I'd love to, I wouldn't get the proper use from it.

Yeah, my computer wouldn't be able to run it, either. Shame, because it looks like fun. Is there anything else to do in the game aside from fighting other players?

(Never mind, just read up more on it. So it's a PvP game, basically.)

Yeah, my computer wouldn't be able to run it, either. Shame, because it looks like fun. Is there anything else to do in the game aside from fighting other players?

(Never mind, just read up more on it. So it's a PvP game, basically.)
It appears to be entirely PVP, but there's a lot of customization available, from differing loadouts and skills on each individual crewmember, split between three classes (pilots, engineers and gunners) to changing the equipment on the various ships themselves.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd give it a shot, if you'd have me. I was a big fan of zeppelin combat in games like Crimson Skies, and this crew-based dynamic is one I've long thought should be used in space-based or sea-based games. It looks like something I could potentially really get into.

It appears to be entirely PVP, but there's a lot of customization available, from differing loadouts and skills on each individual crewmember, split between three classes (pilots, engineers and gunners) to changing the equipment on the various ships themselves.
Damn, this game sounds awesome. I just don't think my PC could handle it. I'm good for everything but the processor--minimum is 2 ghz, I only have 1.4.

Here's some more gameplay, this time from the POV of an engineer in a 16 man (that's 2 ships vs 2 ships) king of the hill. Do note that just because your job to keep the ship afloat doesn't mean you won't be manning guns in between. This is also from the beta, but it's still pretty much the same.

edit: NSFW language

I've still got a few copies to give away for free, so far only Gas and Jay have said they both wanted it and can run it. And now Gas already has it.

Dave

Staff member
I'm game, dude.[DOUBLEPOST=1400704785,1400704453][/DOUBLEPOST]I can't play tonight because i'm going to a sneak peak of "A Million Ways to Die in the West", but tomorrow night...I'm golden, Pony-boy.

A few? Geez, how many did you buy?
4-packs were 7 dollars.[DOUBLEPOST=1400709271,1400709186][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm game, dude.[DOUBLEPOST=1400704785,1400704453][/DOUBLEPOST]I can't play tonight because i'm going to a sneak peak of "A Million Ways to Die in the West", but tomorrow night...I'm golden, Pony-boy.
That's what I like to hear! I've got one copy left now, who's willing to follow SkyCaptain Poe into the great beyond and almost certain death?

I could totally see a blimp pirate named Gas Bandit. Using hoses to steal the gas right out of blimps in mid-flight.

Not wanting to use up Poe's keys (this was before seeing how cheap he got them), I did the Humble Bundle just to see. I can run it okay--not great, but enough to play it, and it's fun. I suck as a pilot, but I'm fine as an engineer.

SkyCaptain Zephyr Maximillian Poe and his salty crew of @GasBandit and @Jay took to the skies for the first time tonight. After getting our air legs, we rocked pretty damn hard.

They'll claim otherwise, but I'm an amazing pilot.

Tomorrow, the HMS AfternoonDelight (sky rockets in flight!) will set sail again!

GasBandit

Staff member
Jay and I crewed Poe's ship for a couple hours tonight, the HMS Afternoon Delight. We started off getting our asses handed too us pretty thoroughly... but by the end of the night we were kinda holding our own. He apparently picked a ship with all its guns on the fore/port sides, and that made for some tactical challenges.

Jay and I crewed Poe's ship for a couple hours tonight, the HMS Afternoon Delight. We started off getting our asses handed too us pretty thoroughly... but by the end of the night we were kinda holding our own. He apparently picked a ship with all its guns on the fore/port sides, and that made for some tactical challenges.
That was the same type of ship I crewed when I played earlier. Our enemies knew there were no guns on the starboard side and kept getting over there to murder us. Nothing I could do until everyone else abandoned the wheel, and at that point I nearly crashed us into the sea.

Engineer rocks.

All of the classes are really useful, which I like. The pilot is pretty obvious, and I found the advanced piloting skills invaluable during our adventure. Engineers of course are always needed, to keep everything together and repair, and while anyone can (and should) jump on a gun, a skilled gunner can really turn a battle with some amazing damage.