[Question] Calling all MSTies

One of our members is a MST3k virgin. In order to rectify this unfortunate situation, I offered to send him a selection of discs but I want to send the best episodes. So, my fellow MSTies, if you were introducing someone to MST3K, which ones would you chose?

OH SHIT, you've come to the right place!

Ahem, ok, here are my personal favorite MST3k episodes.

1. Space Mutiny
2. Pod People
3. Cave Dwellers
4. Shorts Volume 1 (this has such classics as Home Economics, Junior Rodeo daredevils, Body Care and Grooming, Cheating, A Date With Your Family, Why Study Industrial Arts, and The Chicken of Tomorrow"
5. Mitchell
6. Gamera

These are all fantastic sets.

I think it may also depend if you want to expose them to the Joel era or the Mike era. I'm a Joel fan, but opinions and assholes and all that rubbish.

GasBandit

Staff member
Manos, the Hands of Fate
Mitchell
Space Mutiny
Lost Continent (Rock climbing, Joel. Rock climbing, Tom. Rock climbing, Crow.)

I could have sworn they did Jason and the Argonauts (my dad was so crestfallen when he heard his favorite movie from when he was a kid was on MST3k) but I can't find it in the wikipedia list of episodes.

fade

Staff member
I never quite got Joel v. Mike. Can't it be both? What's more, even in the Joel era, Mike was writing a lot of the jokes behind the camera if I recall correctly.

Cajungal

Staff member
I never quite got Joel v. Mike. Can't it be both? What's more, even in the Joel era, Mike was writing a lot of the jokes behind the camera if I recall correctly.
Yep. And somewhere I've seen am interview of Joel and/or Kevin saying that the more Mike controbuted, the funnier the show got. So they all liked each other. I like Joel a lot, but Mike's dorky dad - like delivery of jokes always appealed to me more.

I think it's kind of a "this is the one I saw first" thing. I always liked the awkward delivery of Joel. That's not to say I don't like Mike's stuff, just my favorite episodes tend to be Joel ones.

I honestly have no idea why I never watched any MST3K before. Everything i hear sounds right up my alley.

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

Megalodon, Blood Waters of Doctor Z, The Touch of Satan, and Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders are some of my favorites.

Also, I can't remember which episode it's tied to, but the Gumby short they watch is one of the best shorts ever.

"Thank God for internal genitalia!"

Of all my vast pop-culture knowledge (and it's gross how vast it is) it's always weird to look back and realize I have never seen any MST3K.