Calling all band geeks

Played Trumpet till 10th grade, then switch to Euphonium and landed first chair for the last two years. It was true--section leaders did have all the fun.

Played Trumpet till 10th grade, then switch to Euphonium and landed first chair for the last two years. It was true--section leaders did have all the fun.
I beg to differ. Orchestra was the best for me when I was in the back and goofing off with my friends. The people in front couldn't talk without the conductor noticing.

I beg to differ. Orchestra was the best for me when I was in the back and goofing off with my friends. The people in front couldn't talk without the conductor noticing.
Come now, Euphonium is low brass. First chair or not, I was always in the back.

Alto sax, from 6th grade through high school and a little but in college. Started guitar lessons for a year or so in grad school. Would love to learn electric bass.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Tuba4Lyfe

Wanted to play alto sax, but rental for that was like $30/mo. Tuba rental from school system??? $4/year. Ooompa indeed!

I was a very good baseball player - played in Babe Ruth World Series @ 15, we won 2 state HS championships. My HS marching band was/is the cream of the crop in the state & region, having won the state championship like 25 of the last 30 years or something like that. Point being, you didn't "diddle" around with marching band... you were either in or out. I chose baseball over band camp.

A few months ago I got a wild hair & looked up Tuba prices on eBay. Holy shit wtf happened in the last 25 years in low brass technology!?! I know back then they were just starting to bring in trigger trombones... but... FOUR valves!?!? On a tuba?!?!?!? I could barely find a 3 valve tuba, much less afford one.

Trombone and cello. High school was all fingering G strings and doing it loud in 7 positions for me.

Zero sex.

So I went to a small private school when I was younger and they started a band the year I was done there (6th grade). All I had played until then was piano but I wanted to join so my mom had her sister send up her clarinet from when she was a kid. It was this beautiful thing, real wood and the sound of it was just unmatched by the cheap instruments most kids rented or used (which I'm not putting down, why on earth would you buy your kid a 1000+ dollar instrument when they might only play it for a year or two?).

Played for a few years when I moved on to a public junior high before I decided to other musical interests, my mom still has the clarinet, kind of hope someday my daughter might play it.

I know back then they were just starting to bring in trigger trombones... but... FOUR valves!?!? On a tuba?!?!?!? I could barely find a 3 valve tuba, much less afford one.
Tubas have always had 4 valves (that I remember). A three-valve tuba was called a Baritone/Euphonium in my band class.[DOUBLEPOST=1397158232,1397158088][/DOUBLEPOST]
Trombone and cello. High school was all fingering G strings and doing it loud in 7 positions for me.
Don't forget that pulling that trigger would let you go...even deeper.

--Patrick

:unibrow:[DOUBLEPOST=1397158338,1397158304][/DOUBLEPOST]So, it wasn't just my high school. Trombonists are the biggest pervs out there.

:unibrow:[DOUBLEPOST=1397158338,1397158304][/DOUBLEPOST]So, it wasn't just my high school. Trombonists are the biggest pervs out there.
NOPE, not just your school. The Bones were the worst in my high school. :D Bones and Tuba's. Man, the Tuba's got so much action it was insane.

Gonna brag on my old band, the Morgantown High Red and Blue Marching Band, a bit. This weekend they'll be doing the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC. Last year, they did the 2013 Tournament of Roses Parade, and before that, the 2009 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Meaning the Class of 2013 got to do *both* Macy's and the Rose Parade. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gonna brag on my old band, the Morgantown High Red and Blue Marching Band, a bit. This weekend they'll be doing the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC. Last year, they did the 2013 Tournament of Roses Parade, and before that, the 2009 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Meaning the Class of 2013 got to do *both* Macy's and the Rose Parade. :D
Jealous of the Macy's Parade! We got invited every year, but our band director said our first priority was to our (highly mediocre) football team. :mad:

On the other hand, we got to be in the Miss America Parade for many years back when it was still in Atlantic City. We also played half-time for the NY Giants and the Jets, and my senior year we got to play in Disney World in one of their parades. We did the CBS This Morning thing when they used to have people play "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning", and Bill Clinton's 2nd Inauguration.

As much as they call us "band geeks", it was a great source of travel during high school! I don't think any other activity or sport got to do as much as we did.

Dave

Staff member
What's with the chick in the native American outfit?

I know it's Thanksgiving and all that, but that could be taken as a little offensive.

What's with the chick in the native American outfit?

I know it's Thanksgiving and all that, but that could be taken as a little offensive.
Head Majorette. School mascot is Mohigans. It's supposed to be for MOrgantown HIGh ANnual. But since it sounds like Mohican, that's the way they went.

Weird thing is, as far as I can recall, there's never been much pressure to change it.

Woo! I'm not the only bassist here! I played upright bass from grade 4 through the end of high school. I even played in some provincial audition only groups. And was in every choir imaginable as well - and still am. I tried to learn drums and piano and guitar, but they never really stuck.

Haven't had my bass in a number of years, all the places we've lived have been too small, but I'm getting it back once we move! And then I will discouver if I can still play at all or not. My money's on yes, though I highly doubt I will still be able to sight read Dvorak cleanly.

Piano lessons since I was very young (I can't remember *not* having lessons).
Clarinet since 4th grade, and continued through graduation.
Alto sax in 7th grade (though I preferred clarinet but wanted to learn alto for jazz band). Completely gave it up in 8th grade.
Oboe in 9th grade, but just for a short time.
Started teaching myself guitar after graduation, and picked it up quickly, but then gave up after a few months and just let Twiggy have my guitar and amp. :p

I HATED marching band. 9th-10th grade my school did not have a marching band, but we did pep, and only during homecoming did we do any marching.
11th-12th marching band was required to be in band... ugh, I hated it.

Tubas have always had 4 valves (that I remember). A three-valve tuba was called a Baritone/Euphonium in my band class.
Baritone was slightly smaller & a little higher pitched. This was 30 years ago. BB♭ 3-piston valve tubas were prevalent due to the fact that most marching band sousaphones were of the BB♭ variety.

Anyways, 9th grade year (last year of middle school) the band director tried to get me playing bass guitar in the jazz band. Figured since I could already read bass clef, I'd pick it up easier. 30 years later I wish I'd have taken it more seriously.