[Webcomic] CAD over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott actually made a great point on WW: if Ethan had to do something using some computer that would basically reset the universe, and is shown as pushing a button rather than, oh, say, hitting Ctrl Alt Del, what a waste that is.
That whole podcast was amazing. I hope they start doing it again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ohhhhh. Yeah, I didn't play the game, so the reference was lost on me.
There was quite a bit of loudness all across the internet about it. I never played ME3 either, but I know about red, green, and blue endings, about "His Name Was Marauder Shields," etc.

figmentPez

Staff member
I listened to the podcast, and while I agree with a lot of what was said, I can't agree with some of it. As bad as it was to fridge Lilah, I don't feel like it was really a betrayal of the characters to do that. Zeke is more than a little psychotic, and it's been set up for a while that he's not entirely trustworthy. Also, sometimes media doesn't have happy endings. We are not owed a happy ending for characters, and it's not a "screw you" to the audience to end in a tragedy. Moreover, I don't feel like the ending was a downer. Ethan went out a hero, even without the Mary Sue ending tacked on afterwards. It didn't wipe out years of comics any more than the The Amazing Spider-Man wiped out the previous three films. Those comics still exist.

Disagreement on the ending aside, there was another point: Buckley actually has written a female character who didn't exist to be a romantic interest for one of the male characters. Abby the game store customer was a rival for Ethan. Sure, she was a copy of someone else's design, but she was a named character who wasn't simply a romantic conquest.

The new CAD comics are in my opinion... just not funny. It seems like he's gone back to setting up the joke with too many panels and not giving enough payoff. All that dramatic "CAD is changing forever" for this... color me underwhelmed.

I have to agree. Though admittedly, I think the idea of four generic gaming characters living together. I especially like the idea that there's a regeneration...thing...right in their house.

Of course, all the great ideas in the world can't save them from horrible execution.

I have to agree. Though admittedly, I think the idea of four generic gaming characters living together. I especially like the idea that there's a regeneration...thing...right in their house.

Of course, all the great ideas in the world can't save them from horrible execution.
I'm guessing that you didn't finish your thought and you were going to say that the idea of four generic gaming characters living together is <insert something positive>.

I'll admit to being entertained by CAD before the ending. I didn't laugh out loud like I do with PVP from time to time (both suffered from something similar over the last couple of years), but I still found reason to read. The only reason I check CAD after these few post-ending comics is out of habit. I also think the idea of four gaming characters living together is interesting and has potential, along with the in-house regen pod, but it's just stumbled out of the gate. If it were a new webcomic, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt but he's been doing these characters for a long time and the previous comics involving them worked a lot better. Perhaps they aren't strong enough to sustain a comic.

I'm guessing that you didn't finish your thought and you were going to say that the idea of four generic gaming characters living together is <insert something positive>.
No, Something Positive is a different comic altogether.

Necronic

Staff member
Kind of funny watching Kurtz bash CAD at this point when his comic has become so completely laughably bad and Buckley has at least tried to do something (even if it wasn't great).

Scott is not letting up on this!

I'm reading this thread from the very start, and people may mention something more about this later but I'm still on page two and there's no RAAAAGE icon thingie, so.. AGH THIS MOTHERFUCKER, HE WAS MAKING FUN OF HALFPIXEL, DID YOU FUCKING SEE THAT!? THE NERVE!! GAAHHH

sorry. continuing with the reading of the past.[DOUBLEPOST=1357544915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really, though, just to be clear. I made those Twitter images. Kurtz still posted like a braying jackass, but those last few were mine.
Oh you fucker. You got me like 2 months later. Bravo.

Wow, this thread was a trip down memory lane something fierce.

I was part of the Rapscallions, the WoW guild Buckley killed. Did I ever tell you guys that? I used to be a CAD fan in like.. 2005? Damn.

Also, whatever happened to Starslip? I followed it pretty closely and then I remember a reboot and then.. nothing. I guess I stopped reading it without even noticing.

Do you still play on Dark Iron? I've been a member of Panda Attack the last 5 years or so. Some of the old timers that were around during the Rapscallions incident still hold a grudge against Buckley.

Nah, I left WoW like, well, 5 years ago, heh. I was one of the refugees from the Rapscallions that Panda Attack "took in". That's actually the reason, I think, I'm here with you guys now, that's when I joined the PvP forums. I remember an AWESOME fight of like 25 vs 25 against the Penny Arcade guild. Awesome times.

Also, whatever happened to Starslip? I followed it pretty closely and then I remember a reboot and then.. nothing. I guess I stopped reading it without even noticing.
Somehow it totally missed my mind until I went to check, but he's had a new comic apparently running. http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/2012/10/08/broodhollow/
If I have one criticism of Straub, it's that he ends projects before I'd like him to. I was loving F-chords before he cut it. But at least he doesn't say he'll do it then just let it fade away into the night.

Oh crap, I just laughed at the latest CAD... does this mean something is seriously wrong with me?
I smiled, but he's still doing that thing where 2/3 of the comic is explaining the joke with words. He should have used those panels to show Jedi actually using the straps, and being amazed at how awesome they are.

Somehow it totally missed my mind until I went to check, but he's had a new comic apparently running. http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/2012/10/08/broodhollow/
If I have one criticism of Straub, it's that he ends projects before I'd like him to. I was loving F-chords before he cut it. But at least he doesn't say he'll do it then just let it fade away into the night.
Huh. So we never got to know what happened to Vanderbeam and Co? That's really sad. I liked Starslip. I miss being a webcomic junkie, sometimes.

I was just going through some old archives looking for a particular comic. It's really eerie how much he lays on fanboy praise of Scott Kurtz in his early blog posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.