[Webcomic] CAD over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
Zappit ... I hate to say this, but... The whole Photoshopped Kurtz tweet thing? Bad form, sir. Bad form.

You know how easy it is to rile up this bunch with Kurtz mouthing off or doing stupid or hypocritical shit. This could've gone from zero to shitstorm in two seconds flat.

Now, let me know when he really says something stupid or hypocritical.
Sorry, man. I thought it would be obvious they were fake.

You're newer, so I don't know if you know where this forum came from. We were basically refugees from when Scott Kurtz decided to blow up his own forums.
And there's a lot of bad blood between Buckley and Kurtz, especially when Buckley blew up the Rapscallions guild on Dark Iron.

Zappit

Staff member
If you can't make fun of the person that brought us all together and then kicked us to the curb in the worst way possible, who can you make fun of?
Kicked us to the curb TWICE. He also blew up on a couple of my old Bomb Shelter brothers with no provocation some years back, so he's spread that bad blood around pretty liberally.

North_Ranger

Staff member
If you can't make fun of the person that brought us all together and then kicked us to the curb in the worst way possible, who can you make fun of?
I'm not saying he shouldn't be made fun of. My problem was that one couldn't easily tell if this was fake or not. Like Zapp himself said, it's difficult to parody a Tastemaker meltdown when the man's known for sticking feet in his mouth.

Heck, speaking of that, can anyone find doomdragon6 's comics that tell the tale of Halfpixel Bombing and the Rise of Halforums?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Never mind, I found them... although the first three are rather tiny for some reason.

A brief history on the origins of Halforums:

I am so confused. But I from what was explained, there's bad blood between one webcomic creator and another, and they constantly one up each other like grade school children playing kickball at recess? Is that about right?

I am so confused. But I from what was explained, there's bad blood between one webcomic creator and another, and they constantly one up each other like grade school children playing kickball at recess? Is that about right?
Pretty much. Not all web-comic artists gain the mentality of elementary school children, but enough of them are.

Zappit

Staff member
Not about right. Exactly right.

It's my understanding that Buckley has actually matured, and hasn't engaged with Kurtz's feces-flinging for quite some time. Can anyone who follows CAD confirm/deny?

It's my understanding that Buckley has actually matured, and hasn't engaged with Kurtz's feces-flinging for quite some time. Can anyone who follows CAD confirm/deny?
After he took that CAD charity money and bought himself a tablet, showed his dick to people underage, sent cease and desist orders to people for doing fanart (while simultaneously ripping off professional artists) and has continually shown himself to be ignorant and racist?

It doesn't matter, as little of a fan of Kurtz I am, Buckley deserves every bit of shitting he gets.

Zappit

Staff member
Shitting such as this - I did this some years back, could only find two pages of it, but it's Tim as a police sketch artist with his former forum mod ( a notorious hardass who banned people for even slightly criticizing Tim) as his sidekick.

Zappit

Staff member
Yep. For a few years, he had a me too attitude. Penny Arcade starts a charity? He does too, and keeps money. Kurtz gets a server on WoW? Buckley does, too, then kills it and keeps the money his fans paid into it, all the while banning them from his forums if they brought it up. Kurtz gets a cartoon series for the web? Look who else did, and it's much worse. Penny Arcade starts its own gaming con? Bucko tried and failed to copy it.

Except I think he did the shitty cartoon with Blind Ferret before Kurtz did (and PvP cartoon, being an entirely different debacle, was actually a HELL of a lot better than the CAD abortion...or is it miscarriage?).

Thats because you don't need an engine for this gravy train. all you need to do is stick wheels on it and drive it into the sea.

So who wants to bet which web celebrity pisses off their fan base next? I'm guessiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin the Power House guys. Maybe they pull some Cerebus into their toons.

Okay, so now he's referring to it as "the end of Ctrl-Alt-Del v1.0" which just tells me that he's the sort of dickbag that, to paraphrase an apt description of Rob Liefeld, "Even when he turns his backwards baseball cap around, it's still on backwards."

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the big deal is, it's not that he ended his main comic's story, it's that he ended it so badly. I mean, despite what he says, it really feels like 2 strips ago he decided "you know what I don't wanna draw this any more, how can I end this as quickly as possible?" and did that. It would have been better to finish out his time travel arc, and end with a corny ensemble-on-couch shot or something, the end. This "AND THEN HE DIED THE END" is just lazy writing.

I honestly do not think it would have been any better if it had been extended. I'd rather CAD go out (or "transition") with a weird, abrupt ending than an attempt by Buckley to write something clever and classy that "did justice to the characters." There was no justice that could have been done here.

GasBandit

Staff member
I honestly do not think it would have been any better if it had been extended. I'd rather CAD go out (or "transition") with a weird, abrupt ending than an attempt by Buckley to write something clever and classy that "did justice to the characters." There was no justice that could have been done here.
Actually, until this ill-conceived time travel arc, CAD was actually getting a lot better than it had been previously. Then this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.