[News] Brexit

Chuck Tingle strikes again!
I like how he has coopted the "Hugo-Nominated" badge.

--Patrick
You can bet he's going to smack that on everything. Hell, there's probably already a chuck tingle book about having gay sex with a hugo award.[DOUBLEPOST=1466886611,1466886570][/DOUBLEPOST]There is!

I'm still waiting for @Grytpipe-Thynne to weigh in.
Assuming they haven't taken away his Internet access, of course.

--Patrick
Still here Patrick. I have just read the previous posts. Not sure what all the flap is about. We will not be leaving NATO so there is no difference in Balance of Power, and Commerce and Corporates have a way of increasing profits from any set backs.

Two or three million immigrants could probably be absorbed in the USA with little impact, but UK is already grossly over populated, and services, housing, employment and more are at breaking point.

The EU started as a loose trading group of countries. It grew into large group of self interested confederation of countries which has grown too quickly
and without forethought. Imagine a union of North America where the President of the USA has to do what Panama says.

As for UK, we have managed to survive a few set backs in the past and I am sure that we will in the future.

so theres a petition going round at the moment, effectively calling for a do-over, since the victory margin was so very slim, and rather a lot of people feel they were misled at best, outright lied to at worst.

naturally, brexiteers are, probably rightly, pissed at this attempt at subverting direct democracy. "how dare they, they'd flip their shit if this had happened in reverse!"

except...

it was started before the votes were in, by a member of the "english democrats" party in the belief that leave was going to lose. whoops.
the petition is currently at 3.1 million and steadily rising.

so theres a petition going round at the moment, effectively calling for a do-over, since the victory margin was so very slim, and rather a lot of people feel they were misled at best, outright lied to at worst.

naturally, brexiteers are, probably rightly, pissed at this attempt at subverting direct democracy. "how dare they, they'd flip their shit if this had happened in reverse!"

except...

it was started before the votes were in, by a member of the "english democrats" party in the belief that leave was going to lose. whoops.
the petition is currently at 3.1 million and steadily rising.
I suspect that, as usual, most of those who are now complaining did not vote. If so they have no right to query the result.

update:

leave have no plan. Like, literally.

Labours decided that the responsible thing to do in this situation, is to have an all out backstabathon. half the shadow cabinets resigned, with Jeremy Corbyn determined to stay on, for some insane reason. and the deputy leader of the party, Tom Watson is currently AWOL on a train, after spending the night partying at glastonbury.

I've stopped being scared, and now i'm finding the funny side, because the modern role of 'prophet' has apparently gone to Armando Iannucci and Charlie Brooker.

update:

leave have no plan. Like, literally.

Labours decided that the responsible thing to do in this situation, is to have an all out backstabathon. half the shadow cabinets resigned, with Jeremy Corbyn determined to stay on, for some insane reason. and the deputy leader of the party, Tom Watson is currently AWOL on a train, after spending the night partying at glastonbury.

I've stopped being scared, and now i'm finding the funny side, because the modern role of 'prophet' has apparently gone to Armando Iannucci and Charlie Brooker.
At last! A right thinking candidate for Prime Minister.

According to an Opinion poll from the IoD (wikipedia's who-are-they link), businesses in the UK are rattled.

Highlights:
  • Nearly two-thirds (64%) of IoD members think the result is negative for their business, against 23% who think it is positive (only 9% say it makes no difference)
  • A third (32%) say hiring will continue at the same pace, but a quarter (24%) will put a freeze on recruitment, and 5% will make redundancies
  • 1 in 5 (22%) are considering moving some of their operations outside of the UK; only 1% say they will bring operations back
  • IoD Director General says: “we will not lose our faith in the ability of British firms to overcome these obstacles“

And the award for "Most Unflappably British Thing I've Seen On The Internet This Week" goes to...
Well, when you have literal boots-on-the-ground experience with something like WW2 to compare against, you are entitled to say things like that and mean it without irony.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Apparently the vote result has caused the racists to scurry from their little hidey holes and be emboldened to spew their shit in the light of day.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently the vote result has caused the racists to scurry from their little hidey holes and be emboldened to spew their shit in the light of day.
And some of it's the super duper esoteric kind of racism most Americans have a hard time wrapping their head around - racism against people of the same skin color. For example, the Polish. To an American, a Briton being racist against a Pole would be like a New Yorker holding "racist" views about someone because they were born in Indiana.

And some of it's the super duper esoteric kind of racism most Americans have a hard time wrapping their head around - racism against people of the same skin color. For example, the Polish. To an American, a Briton being racist against a Pole would be like a New Yorker holding "racist" views about someone because they were born in Indiana.
Yes, I've never heard of anyone in the US being racist against, say, the Irish, or the Italian immigrants.

Racism is dumb and stupid and whatnot, but this statement is pretty silly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, I've never heard of anyone in the US being racist against, say, the Irish, or the Italian immigrants.

Racism is dumb and stupid and whatnot, but this statement is pretty silly.
To whatever degree that's still a thing, it must be concentrated in the northeast, because out here in flyover country, we're all german/czech/pole/dutch/norweigan/slovak/danish/greek/swedish/french/swiss and belgian and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Interestingly enough, the early briton colonies out here failed.

To whatever degree that's still a thing, it must be concentrated in the northeast, because out here in flyover country, we're all german/czech/pole/dutch/norweigan/slovak/danish/greek/swedish/french/swiss and belgian and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Interestingly enough, the early briton colonies out here failed.
And when a through-and-through Yankee comes to live in the middle of Buttfuck, TX, he won't be faced with prejudice and perhaps name-calling on the basis of where he's from? As long as you're white, everyone from all over the world, they're all perfectly welcome and treated as one of the club? Piffle.

GasBandit

Staff member
And when a through-and-through Yankee comes to live in the middle of Buttfuck, TX, he won't be faced with prejudice and perhaps name-calling on the basis of where he's from? As long as you're white, everyone from all over the world, they're all perfectly welcome and treated as one of the club? Piffle.
Perhaps you heard, but the civil war was over 150 years ago. I moved here from Colorado. Our country station's program director is from Manhattan. Unlike Europe, we're not all frozen in the past :p

I mean shit, my mom was protestant, and my dad's family is Catholic, and for years she felt shit on by them. And no one involved is Irish, both sides of my family are heavily German, with a little Italian thrown in a few generations back.

I would say you notice it less just because as generations go by, people are becoming slightly less racist/more tolerant.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been thinking about the first segment of this 6-year-old Autotune The News video a lot the last few days.

Pretty sure GasBandit also lives in Austin, like myself, which is a bit different then most other areas in Texas. It's a big melting pot area with a lot more liberal people moving out from other states, like California, due to the university. I like to call it the slice of California farthest from the coast. :p

If you head out east though, things get a little, different....

Pretty sure GasBandit also lives in Austin, like myself, which is a bit different then most other areas in Texas. It's a big melting pot area with a lot more liberal people moving out from other states, like California, due to the university. I like to call it the slice of California farthest from the coast. :p

If you head out east though, things get a little, different....
GB is in Aggieland. Which explains a whole hell of a lot. :troll:

GB is in Aggieland. Which explains a whole hell of a lot. :troll:
Dear god, it does....
Still fits my point a bit though, since I have found college towns have very different outlooks on race / religion / ethnicity then a lot more self-contained cities. I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that new blood always cycles in from around the nation and then either stays, or leaves, making way for even more new college blood. You can't really be as xenophobic in a college town.

Dave

Staff member
When a buddy and mine were going from Camp Pendleton to Omaha we decided that we'd go through Texas because it was really one of the few ways to ignore mountains. Anyway, we stopped to sleep in this little Texas town in an abandoned train station. We basically just lay down on the ground with our packs under our heads for pillows. We'd been there a few hours when we were accosted by a police officer. He informed that "his" town didn't like vagrants or hippy bikers. We were Marines. We had high & tight haircuts - IN THE 80's!! To no avail. "You boys best be moving along." with the threat of legal trouble if we didn't. It was very, very First Blood. We were both white Marines, and the guy didn't like us because we were riding motorcycles.

Stupid racist people are everywhere. And almost like Rule 34, if something exists, there's someone that hates it and wants to ban it. But Brexit is making those idiots more mainstream and bold.

GasBandit

Staff member
When a buddy and mine were going from Camp Pendleton to Omaha we decided that we'd go through Texas because it was really one of the few ways to ignore mountains. Anyway, we stopped to sleep in this little Texas town in an abandoned train station. We basically just lay down on the ground with our packs under our heads for pillows. We'd been there a few hours when we were accosted by a police officer. He informed that "his" town didn't like vagrants or hippy bikers. We were Marines. We had high & tight haircuts - IN THE 80's!! To no avail. "You boys best be moving along." with the threat of legal trouble if we didn't. It was very, very First Blood. We were both white Marines, and the guy didn't like us because we were riding motorcycles.

Stupid racist people are everywhere. And almost like Rule 34, if something exists, there's someone that hates it and wants to ban it. But Brexit is making those idiots more mainstream and bold.
... that story was not about racism.