Borderlands 3

Well, it’s official, or at least more official than it was last month.

We already have threads for BL and BL2, but figured I should start a new one for BL3, just in case it needs a place to be discussed.

I hear there are going to be guns in it. And Marcus.
And I feel like that first video inadvertently makes a strong case for a line of paintable miniatures.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Psht. You have nothing to say about thembut just want another Megathread on your name, admit it :p

But yes, walking guns.

Psht. You have nothing to say about thembut just want another Megathread on your name, admit it :p
Nobody here tries harder to search for an appropriate thread prior to starting a new one. Nobody.

And maybe this means I will finally start BL2.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, word on the wind is it'll be a six month exclusive. Guess I'll pick it up in 2020 when it's on steam sale for under 20 bucks, then. Haven't decided whether or not I'll bother pirating it first.

Dave

Staff member
I'm really torn about this. Yes, it's greedy as fuck on Epic's part but it's also smart thinking from Gearbox.

Let's say that they sell 100,000 units at $60 each. That's not far-fetched. Under Epic they'd get $5.28 million in return. Same amount sold on Steam gets $4.2 million. And that's NOT counting however much money Epic threw at them to be exclusive. It's really just good business sense.

For Gearbox to make the same amount of money they'd have to sell about 25% more units. For example, using the 100K units sold under Epic, they'd have to sell about 125,714 units on Steam. And they would NOT get that sweet kickback money from Epic.

I hate it but if I were Gearbox I'd probably be doing the same thing. I don't think they'll lose more than they'll gain. Especially considering PC fanboys are notorious for being up in arms and crying for a boycott and then turning around & buying it anyway.

I hope they're keeping the long tail in mind. Gearbox also makes "residuals" on the Borderlands games with their inevitable expansion packs, so they're going to want a nice, wide installed base out there once they start minting DLC.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
They will be selling DLC and probably the season pass things on Steam. Probably. Who the fuck knows at this point?

I under$tand why they did it, but $till think that it'$ $hitting on the fan$ who don't want malware or tracking $oftware added to their computer$.

Given the way Epic deals seem to work (as far publicly known), I don't understand why you'd want to take a game like Borderlands 3 there because of it, though. Epic is pretty much throwing money at developers to cover costs upon release - "we'll pay you $x million or as much of that as you haven't made within your first y days". If I have a hit on my hands, that doesn't really matter.
Sure, the % Steam takes is high, and I can certainly understand releasing on both platforms (and in my imaginary dream world, GOG too) to have the biggest possible install base...But going Epic exclusive for 6 months or a year will fragemnt your player base, and is, at least for now, still considered a vey anti-consumer thing to do by many, thus costing you goodwill - something a big game company can never have enough of, given how fickle gamers as a group are.

Of course, we're all old folks when it comes to gaming. 16-year-olds don't care about Yet Another Installer, they definitely don't care about Privacy or Selling Your Info To China, and they don't care about corporate shenanigans.
Epic delivers fun games at good prices, and they're the new hotness? People will flock there, all the while complaining about it.

sexyspecs.jpg

Biggest surprise: Radeon HD 7970 and Intel Ivy Bridge still hangin' in there.
If the recommended specs are to be believed, 32GB RAM is gonna become the "new normal" real quicklike.

...75GB though? Really? That had better be content and level design and not just five billion artisanal UHD textures hand-illuminated by digital monks.

--Patrick

I know im late to the party but I got talked into buying it on sale today. If any of you wanna play hit me up.