[News] Bombings, Mass Attacks, Terrorism, etc - Catch all thread

Device explodes on NYC subway platform
A pipe bomb that was strapped to a man went off in the New York City subway near the Times Square area of Manhattan on Monday, injuring the suspect and another person on the platform at the height of the morning rush hour, law enforcement officials said.

The person on the platform was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Another person on the platform sustained non-life-threatening injuries

The officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the incident.

The explosion, which happened around 7:30 a.m., triggered a massive emergency response by New York police and fire both above and below ground, tangling subway and bus service at the nearby Port Authority bus terminal.
So given that this is only ~2hrs after said incident, not much information right now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heard Mayor De Blasio on the radio, naming the suspect as Akayed Ullah, 27 years old, and saying that this was an attempted act of terror.

Heard Mayor De Blasio on the radio, naming the suspect as Akayed Ullah, 27 years old, and saying that this was an attempted act of terror.
Here's a link and quote on that:
The suspect was identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah.

Law enforcement officials said he was inspired by the Islamic State group but had apparently not had any direct contact with the group. The officials said he lives in Brooklyn and may be of Bangladeshi descent. The officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the blast.

Not to sound selfish, but when I saw this this morning, my first thought was, "I am so glad Mr. Z doesn't have to commute into the city anymore.". We both used to take the bus into Port, then hop on the subway there, although it's been a while since I've had to do it.

Edit: I should point out that would have been around the time he usually got into the city, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not to sound selfish, but when I saw this this morning, my first thought was, "I am so glad Mr. Z doesn't have to commute into the city anymore.". We both used to take the bus into Port, then hop on the subway there, although it's been a while since I've had to do it.

Edit: I should point out that would have been around the time he usually got into the city, too.
I don't think anybody would call that selfish.

I used to live practically right on that corner (43&8).
That news hits a little bit harder as a result.

—Patrick

At least it was mostly incompetent terrorism. Unless my info's out of date, wasn't there only one injury, other than the bomber himself?

At least it was mostly incompetent terrorism. Unless my info's out of date, wasn't there only one injury, other than the bomber himself?
The last thing I saw said 4, though IIRC it was bomber (maybe survive, maybe not), one other person some shrapnel, and two (or more) with probably only hearing damage. Now I don't mean to downplay hearing damage, as that would suck a lot, but it's still not as severe as some other possibilities.

Regardless, the most fatalities I've heard is possible is 1, but I don't think the guy's dead yet, and may not ever be dead due to injuries from this.

Not Linden, specifically, but that I used to live there.
I’m sure Linden is also flattered that you remember it.

—Patrick

Not Linden, specifically, but that I used to live there.
I’m sure Linden is also flattered that you remember it.

—Patrick
I knew what you meant. :)

Linden's usually passive-agressive to me anyway. "Oh, so you DO remember me? Maybe I don't want to be remembered."

Headline says it: Man charged with terror counts after NYC subway bomb attack

A bit more "concrete" info in the article on number of injuries and such, along with a bit about his family and travel history.

On another note, look for this incident to be used to reduce the "Chain Migration" thing, as well as the "Visa lottery" as supposedly he came into the USA because his relative was already there, and the relative was only there because of the lottery. I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been more rhetoric from politicians on both fronts. I'm guessing we'll see that soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
And, of course, because the NYPD has to fuck up even an open and shut case handed to them on a silver platter, the family of the bomber is saying they pulled a teenager (they didn't specify the teen's relation) out of class and questioned him/her without the presence of his/her parents during their investigation.

Might just be distraction, but really, would anybody be surprised if the NYPD did?

And, of course, because the NYPD has to fuck up even an open and shut case handed to them on a silver platter, the family of the bomber is saying they pulled a teenager (they didn't specify the teen's relation) out of class and questioned him/her without the presence of his/her parents during their investigation.

Might just be distraction, but really, would anybody be surprised if the NYPD did?
That's happened to my kids.

The laws have become, step by step and in small ways each year, a way for schools to claim legal guardianship while students are inside them (under the laws that allow schools to lock children inside in the first place and require even parents to pass through the office before entering the school).

These same laws intended to protect kids from intruders also provide the schools and government access to the children without legal or parental supervision or presence, or even notification.

When it happened to us the first time we were only clued in because school employees knew us and choose to alert us (they were not under specific instructions not to alert us, but they aren't required to either).

So it's already a done deal, legally. About the only recourse is public shaming of the police/school when it happens, and that doesn't go very far because they're not going to change the laws back.

We simply have additional instruction for our children. The younger ones know to tell us, and if they ever feel unsafe to ask for us. The older ones know they have rights, and when to exercise them if they choose to do so.

The democrat who explained years ago that the government should have more power over children than parents (and was then ousted because she said it publicly) wasn't kidding - she was simply expressing a desire of their platform.

It's a state issue, though, not federal, so this is different in each state. I don't know what the law is in NY, but I'm sure the CA law is at least as bad as the law here in michigan.

The school gun attacks have definitely had a result, despite those wanting gun law change, but the changes (I believe) hurt all families rather than keeping them safer.