[Gaming] Board Game Praise

If you like Sushi Go, give Among the Stars a try. Card drafting and using those cards to build your space station.

Reactions: Dei
Played Skulls, Twilight Imperium (which I won), Pitch Car (which I won, and A Study in Emerald. Overall a great weekend of gaming! Hoping for some X-wing before we head back home.

Played Tokaido today, it was pretty fun. My husband got the old guy and hot springed his way to victory. Only my husband and my son got temple bonuses because they managed to block me and my daughter from them every time too. :/

I picked up King of New York, the sequel to King of Tokyo last week and spent some time playing with friends this weekend. It's a ton of fun, and the changes to the core mechanic swings the core mechanic more to strategy than lucky dice rolls. Of course, as always, you still need those too.

Ooh. I see some games there I want to pick up. Colt Express especially sounds fun.
Colt Express is fun. It's a light programming game. Had a good time playing it but it doesn't hit the table much in our group (we have way too many games in our group).

Picked up Roll For It and Cash N Guns (2nd ed.) recently. We've played both and Cash N Guns is fun, but Roll For It is a lot more fun. It is so simple that it can be taught in just a few moments and then everyone at the table can immediately jump in with no worries that experienced players will dominate. It also comes in such a small package that you can quite literally have it with you all of the time. We went out to a nice sit-down pizza restaurant the other night and took this with us to play while waiting for our pizza and it worked perfectly (though rolling in the box lids is recommended).

Cash N Guns is fun, but takes some strategy. Our group when we played it last kinda devolved into rounds of revenge shooting people which would inevitably lead to one person getting a monumental lead over everyone else and then coasting to the finish.

Have read a great deal of hate for Exploding Kittens and I'm completely baffled by it. This is from someone who doesn't like the Oatmeal too. It's fun and incredibly easy to learn and teach to someone. It's great for a few quick games. It's perfect for what it is. It's like people equating it's Kickstarter success to how complex it should be.

"UHHHH, IT'S NOT WORTH 8 MILLION DOLLARS!!!"

You didn't pay 8 million, you paid 20.

400000 people paid 20.

It's not a 150 dollar tokeny, 2000 card, multistage strategy boardgame, it's a quick deck game that's fun and funny.

Yeah, you won't hear me claim it's a great awesome wonder game, but it's pretty much what I expected from it. It's not a "serious" enough game for many board game geeks, but it wasn't intended to be.

Not a bad game, just didn't pique my interest.

Just purchased Code Names and Forbidden Stars. Forbidden Stars has been on my radar for a while, but I finally bit the bullet and just said "what the hell".

I mean, LOOK a that! Can't wait for this to arrive.

Not a bad game, just didn't pique my interest.

Just purchased Code Names and Forbidden Stars. Forbidden Stars has been on my radar for a while, but I finally bit the bullet and just said "what the hell".

I mean, LOOK a that! Can't wait for this to arrive.
Played it a few times it is pretty awesome.

Have read a great deal of hate for Exploding Kittens and I'm completely baffled by it. This is from someone who doesn't like the Oatmeal too. It's fun and incredibly easy to learn and teach to someone. It's great for a few quick games. It's perfect for what it is. It's like people equating it's Kickstarter success to how complex it should be.

"UHHHH, IT'S NOT WORTH 8 MILLION DOLLARS!!!"

You didn't pay 8 million, you paid 20.

400000 people paid 20.

It's not a 150 dollar tokeny, 2000 card, multistage strategy boardgame, it's a quick deck game that's fun and funny.
Hell, I paid $20 for individually wrapped emergency monocles. Exploding Kittens was worth what I paid for it. We've played it a few times when my step-son and his wife were visiting when he was on leave from the air force.

Must be like Christmas for me! I just got the games I ordered, plus a game I kickstarted, Eminent Domain Battlecruisers, has just arrived!

I've been given permission to start looking for a quality crokinole board for my birthday in November. So far I'm thinking Helsinki will be the way I go. Some of my favorites-

Walnut Burl playing surface is gorgeous on this one.

Really love the cherry ditch on this one-

The pattern on this one is gorgeous as well.

Going to be Very hard to choose. Have about $350 to $500 to spend.

Whenever I visit my parents I always have a board game night with my friend. One of the games he had this time was Tragedy Looper, and I think I'm in love. It's an anime time travel loop mystery game where you have to figure out a way to prevent bad things from happening within a certain amount of loops while one player tries to gleefully stop you. It feels almost feels like if Halforums Academy was a board game, but without the hentai part.[emoji14]

Played Machi Koro with my daughter. Stole all her coins with restaurants and then got 30 coins from my fruit and vegetable shops and made her rage quit.

10/10

:p

That would be something, but no, it is a crokinole board. When I get it (probably months from now) I'll post a picture

Red Dragon Inn is fun, I feel it get better the more characters/decks you have to choose from but the mechanics are sound and the cards are pretty funny. Tokaido was a good choice over it though.

So Eric Lang just announced a new game with Cool Mini or Not he is working on that will have a kickstarter date in 2017. This game is a spiritual successor to Blood Rage and it doesn't disappoint so far-

Holy crap. I'm in awe of these sculpts. I want these SO BAD.

Something reminded me of the Penny Arcade thing Thornwatch, and I thought "that was a few years ago, it must be out by now, I wonder if it's any good," so I went searching.

Not only has it not been released, the Kickstarter project to fund it was just started this month, so it won't even be locked in until October 5th (though it is now funded by quintuple or so its asking amount) with a release period of September 2017.

Something reminded me of the Penny Arcade thing Thornwatch, and I thought "that was a few years ago, it must be out by now, I wonder if it's any good," so I went searching.

Not only has it not been released, the Kickstarter project to fund it was just started this month, so it won't even be locked in until October 5th (though it is now funded by quintuple or so its asking amount) with a release period of September 2017.
They've been playtesting it behind closed doors at PAX events for awhile, I think. They wanted to make it work before bringing it to the people.