[Gaming] Board Game Praise

Also, holy shitsnacks it's been a while since I posted here. On mobile so typing's a bit of an issue, but here are the new games we've played since my last update:

Cairn, Space Base, Tzolk'in.

Here are the ones we have yet to play:

Brass: Birmingham, Lost Ruins of Arnak, Ghost Stories, Pandemic Legacy Season 1.

All the games we've played have been various flavours of good, I've read the Brass manual and just about understood how to play although the teach is gonna be a challenge. Have high hopes though.

If you wanna hear more about particular games, holler! :D

I love Space Base. Simple to teach and play.
Yeah, it's really a good, fun game. I am utterly RUBBISH at it, though. Just cannot win to save my life, no idea why.

I mean, I lose a lot anyway, at most games, but Space Base feels like it's laughing at me, I get SLAUGHTERED.

Oh, well I have been misinformed.
I think the randomness turns off most boardgame groups. Whether that is elitism or an expectation of a little more choice in gaming desired by that particular play group, couldn't say. I know our club most people wouldn't be interested in playing Munchkin.

That being said, it's a very popular genre of game and really does well, so SOMEONE must be buying it.

Well, someone's also buying Monopoly, y'know... ;)

In fairness, I've never played Munchkin. I don't think the humour would land with my wife, who comprises the entirety of my usual playgroup (she's not nearly as attuned to geek culture as I am, though she of course has her own nerdery), and our tastes tend to run more towards the medium-to-heavy Euro games.

But man, I have not heard good things from board game enthusiasts about it.

And yes, Muskrat John is fantastic.

Well, someone's also buying Monopoly, y'know... ;)

In fairness, I've never played Munchkin. I don't think the humour would land with my wife, who comprises the entirety of my usual playgroup (she's not nearly as attuned to geek culture as I am, though she of course has her own nerdery), and our tastes tend to run more towards the medium-to-heavy Euro games.

But man, I have not heard good things from board game enthusiasts about it.

And yes, Muskrat John is fantastic.
Munchkin is a fun game with a completely shit endgame. Making your character is fun the humor is good then you get to lvl 9 and you're just trying to be the guy to flip a weak monster after everybody blew their wad stopping the guy in front of you from winning which just brings the game to an unfun end. It also makes the game overstay its welcome. If it was like a 30 minute game I would have no regrets in recommending the game.

But yeah if your group/wife isn't down with the humor it's just not going to be a good time.

As a side, Muskrat John = John Kovalic. @Krisken and I would know him as the man behind the Wild Life comic strip, and a very notable editorial cartoonist for the Wisconsin State Journal in Madison. He also was part of the devo team for a little game known as Apples to Apples.

Munchkin is a fun game with a completely shit endgame. Making your character is fun the humor is good then you get to lvl 9 and you're just trying to be the guy to flip a weak monster after everybody blew their wad stopping the guy in front of you from winning which just brings the game to an unfun end. It also makes the game overstay its welcome. If it was like a 30 minute game I would have no regrets in recommending the game.

But yeah if your group/wife isn't down with the humor it's just not going to be a good time.
This turned me against it once I started noticing every game every single game ending the exact same way as you described. It really takes the wind out of the sails of the game.

As a voice of dissent, I love Munchkin (particularly Munchkin Cthulhu) as does everyone I play games in person with. It's the go-to game when people come over and want to do some gaming.

I have found that Villainous (Disney or Marvel versions) has been a good recommendation for those tired of Munchkin. I appreciate that the game has a well themed "take that" mechanic, still relies on a little luck, but requires a different strategy for every villain character. You have to keep an eye on every other player and make sure that everyone is getting a little hindrance while you achieve your goals. The Disney version especially has 4 expansions giving you about 20 characters to choose from in total. It can be as simple as "gain X amount of power" for Prince John, or "Defeat Kuzco with Kronk" for Yzma. My personal favorite was Rattigan who has to change his win goal to "defeat Basil" if his robot queen item is ever destroyed. A new expansion with Syndrome, Lotso Bear, and Mad Madam Mim is coming out soon too.

Last edited:
A friend of mine brought over Tiny Epic Dungeons a few weeks ago to try out and while it took awhile to figure out (he had some experience with other Tiny Epic games) we had an absolute blast.. loosing terribly each time as we ran through it. Eventually both our wives joined as well for a few rounds - and we had to make plans to definitely have another go the next time we can all meet for grown up time.

I had some a good time with the game I went and bought my own copy from which arrived yesterday. Figure some folks around here would love this type of thing. :)
TED.jpeg

So anyone else heard of Dice Throne? Same friend that introduced me to Tiny Epic Dungeon brought this bad boy out at our game night. Best way I can describe it is.. battle yahtzee. I found it pretty pricey but honestly have had so much fun. Buddy has the expansion pack called Dice Throne Adventurers which turns it into a co-op dungeon crawler (insanely hard) with loot and card upgrades. Also recently released a joint set of heroes with Marvel that are extremely fun... my kids and I play regularly. Anyone else played and enjoyed?

Hope to give it a shot. Been a long time since I've been excited for a new board game, always nice to hear of a new, innovative one.

Going up north to game with family/friends next month, bringing Crokinole, A Study in Emerald, Battle for Rokugan, Space Base, and Glory to Rome.

Hope to give it a shot. Been a long time since I've been excited for a new board game, always nice to hear of a new, innovative one.

Going up north to game with family/friends next month, bringing Crokinole, A Study in Emerald, Battle for Rokugan, Space Base, and Glory to Rome.
Crokinole is so good! Matches can get so heated lol.

So anyone else heard of Dice Throne? Same friend that introduced me to Tiny Epic Dungeon brought this bad boy out at our game night. Best way I can describe it is.. battle yahtzee. I found it pretty pricey but honestly have had so much fun. Buddy has the expansion pack called Dice Throne Adventurers which turns it into a co-op dungeon crawler (insanely hard) with loot and card upgrades. Also recently released a joint set of heroes with Marvel that are extremely fun... my kids and I play regularly. Anyone else played and enjoyed?
Fun game.

Yup, battle Yahtzee is accurate. They just released Marvel versions too, and let the same artist that did the main characters do the marvel ones so you can mix and match.

Yup, battle Yahtzee is accurate. They just released Marvel versions too, and let the same artist that did the main characters do the marvel ones so you can mix and match.
Oh, THAT'S the game my friend id demoing for. Yeesh, I'm out of the boardgame loop.

Got a chance to play Unfathomable last night. Really fun and easy to learn hidden role game about taking a steamship to Boston that is being attacked by Deep Ones, Mother Hydra, and Father Dagon, It's up to your characters to get the ship to Boston in one piece, except one or more of you might be a Hybrid or Cultist looking to sink the ship for your family! Surprisingly fair for an asymmetrical game; our traitor almost got us despite some learning errors.

Got a chance to play Unfathomable last night. Really fun and easy to learn hidden role game about taking a steamship to Boston that is being attacked by Deep Ones, Mother Hydra, and Father Dagon, It's up to your characters to get the ship to Boston in one piece, except one or more of you might be a Hybrid or Cultist looking to sink the ship for your family! Surprisingly fair for an asymmetrical game; our traitor almost got us despite some learning errors.
We've been enjoying this one too. So far with 4 games the traitor has only ever won a single game. However I think that a really good traitor could severely harm the ship, especially if he's able to become the captain or the Keeper of the Tome. There are many ways to take out the ship after all. One aspect that I'm not sure I like is that someone can become the traitor halfway through the game. I like this, but at the same time I don't because it can quickly put you on a losing team if you've been too good at getting the ship this far. At the same time, I do like the idea of suddenly realizing you have a darker call and now its up to you to undo the positive things you've done for the ship.

We've been enjoying this one too. So far with 4 games the traitor has only ever won a single game. However I think that a really good traitor could severely harm the ship, especially if he's able to become the captain or the Keeper of the Tome. There are many ways to take out the ship after all. One aspect that I'm not sure I like is that someone can become the traitor halfway through the game. I like this, but at the same time I don't because it can quickly put you on a losing team if you've been too good at getting the ship this far. At the same time, I do like the idea of suddenly realizing you have a darker call and now its up to you to undo the positive things you've done for the ship.
I’ve played it a couple times and I think that the game swings so wildly that you’re unable to really get ahead as the humans. Even if things are looking good it’ll be bad by the time it gets back to you.

Got Frosthaven to the table last night. It’s an improvement in a couple noticeable ways. No character just has cards that are slightly better attacks or moves than the basic actions you can do. Like the character I played has attacks that require you to have allies in certain places to do some impressive attacks which makes you think more tactically than Gloomhaven ever did and that’s one of the characters that has the lowest complexity. And they pretty much completely overhauled the outpost phase where you return to the city and build up Frosthaven

I picked up My Father's Work a few months ago and we finally got it to the table. A worker placement/resource game that is played with an app that guides the gameplay through a multi-pathed story. In the game you play three generations of mad scientists who are attempting to create a Master Work Experiment such as time travel or "the creature". Each generation is played over three rounds and there are only a few things that you can carry over into the next generation.
The presentation, first of all, is impressive. They went all out with the components. Chemical resources come as tiny ingredient vials. Animals/gears/bodies didn't need separate designs for each individual piece but they did. Metal coins. Nicely designed minis with even a base wash on them. Excellent artwork on the cards.
Gameplay wise I think we have a winner. We were unable to finish the game due to time, but we all agreed that we were having a good time. There are a lot of factors to consider and the story app element offers some fun choices throughout the game that can directly impact the game going forward. For example: We didn't focus on building a hospital during a plague so in the next generation the town wasted away and resources were scarcer (except bodies of course).
For anyone looking for a nice medium challenge board game that gives a different experience every playthrough I absolutely recommend it.

1678239867816.png
1678239882108.png

Was the playtime crazy long for you? It was a 3 hour game for me and my brother in law. I love the game but the long playtime was shocking.