[Gaming] Board Game Praise

If I were the sort of person who enjoyed the painting of miniatures, I would need a new pair of pants and a nap.

--Patrick
Well, also being Eric Lange, I'm sure the game will be fantastic. I really like Blood Rage and hope it works just as well (but differently, of course).

We pretty much played the classics at my house, but game night was a HUGE deal when we were kids and is probably one of the reasons that our family is as close as we are.

Favorites include: Trivial Persuit, Uno (yeah, it's a card game, but you included the monopoly one :p), Yahtzee, Sorry, Mouse Trap, Boggle, Operation.

My favorite obscure game was I Vant to Bite Your Finger. I have to actually convince people that this game existed.

I actually remember that game! heh, good times, good times.

Mysterium

Clue meets Dixit. It's fun. One player is a ghost, the others are psychics/mediums/whatever trying to unravel the murder, based purely on their visions. The ghost is only allowed to communicate through Dixit-style visual cards. Each psychic has to discover their own vision, resulting in [number of players] possible suspects/locations/weapons. The ghost then has to indicate which one's the Real Thing.

Played it three rimes, once as the ghost. It's fun/ridiculous to see how other people interpret the clues you give, and something hilarious, sometimes frustrating to see how bad it goes or what kind of mental leaps are made.

It's also a cooperative game, where everyone, including the ghost, wins or loses together.

I just got Space Hulk for $60 due to a local store being sold off. Hell of a deal considering Fantasy Flight and Games Workshop ended their partnership.

I bought a basketball game from a thrift store.

It has plastic flippers on either end, mini basketballs tied to strings and a hoop in the middle.

Mysterium

Clue meets Dixit. It's fun. One player is a ghost, the others are psychics/mediums/whatever trying to unravel the murder, based purely on their visions. The ghost is only allowed to communicate through Dixit-style visual cards. Each psychic has to discover their own vision, resulting in [number of players] possible suspects/locations/weapons. The ghost then has to indicate which one's the Real Thing.

Played it three rimes, once as the ghost. It's fun/ridiculous to see how other people interpret the clues you give, and something hilarious, sometimes frustrating to see how bad it goes or what kind of mental leaps are made.

It's also a cooperative game, where everyone, including the ghost, wins or loses together.
Shut up & Sit Down did a Let's Play of this game, complete with period costumes.

I still have my old Hero Quest games and this would be pretty sweet to get if it wasn't like 90 billion trillion dollars.

This guy does the best fucking videos.

Holy crap, Gloom looks great. I think I know what to get my aunts and cousins for Christmas.
It's fun, but...Well, you sort of have to make your own story up to keep it interesting. I've played it a few times and I did like it, but I had the feeling I'd tire of it fairly quickly if played too often. Might be mitigated by the expansions, haven't played any of them.

It's fun, but...Well, you sort of have to make your own story up to keep it interesting. I've played it a few times and I did like it, but I had the feeling I'd tire of it fairly quickly if played too often. Might be mitigated by the expansions, haven't played any of them.
I've enjoyed it, too, but yeah, it's not so fun when everyone's not in a creative mood.

. . . and I've rarely ever found a board game expansion that adds to the experience. Except for using a stack of extra city tiles in Carcassonne (without the rules of whatever expansion I got them from)

I've enjoyed it, too, but yeah, it's not so fun when everyone's not in a creative mood.

. . . and I've rarely ever found a board game expansion that adds to the experience. Except for using a stack of extra city tiles in Carcassonne (without the rules of whatever expansion I got them from)
Some of the Catan expansions are pretty much requisite. Some Carcassonne expansions work well (not all though). Dixit has useful expansions (but don't use too many at a time!). Jungle Speed's expansions certainly make the game better worse even more aggressive. Some of Agricola's expansions are apparently great fun, though I haven't really played with any of them.

I know this is late, but I hadn't thought to check this thread in a while.

I bought Gloom a while back and I enjoy it a lot, but yeah expansions don't really make it better, just more confusing. And my friends were not as keen on it as I was, so it quickly fell out of favor and I stopped bringing it with me to our weekly game day.

One of my friends recently bought Boss Monster 2. It was our first introduction to that game series, so it took a bit for us to get rules down, but once we did, it is a lot of fun. All of the old-school game and general geek references are fun, too.

We and family played King of Tokyo yesterday. Normally this game ends up as a slog, which it's not supposed to be, and we could never figure out why.

Yesterday we played without the Evolution cards from the expansion pack because my aunts couldn't find them. I know they diversify the monsters, but holy shit, the game got so much better without having to worry about those stupid things. Suddenly hearts were only good for healing, so it was better to aim for points, energy, attack. No one had to worry about finnicky rules besides the cards purchased. We ended up playing three games in the time it normally takes us to play one. My wife was viscious--usually everyone plays for points, but this time she killed four of us in one game.

I think the evolution cards make sense in 1v1 games, but when it's a group it might be better to just leave them out if it's slowing things down. This was way more fun than the game had ever been.

I just picked up Star Wars Rebellion. I CANNOT wait to play this game. It seriously looks fantastic and the cat and mouse aspect is very well done here.

Here is a review by one of my favorite review sites-

Just a heads up to anyone who is interested, the Kickstarter for Rising Sun (the Eric Lang successor to Blood Rage) will be March 7th.

This is the teaser picture CMON put up at their site-

And Rising Sun is up at Kickstarter. Holy shit, this is intense. 1.07 Million in 3 hours and the stretch goals are absolutely absurd. The game is a flat $100 plus shipping as outlined in the description.

Just phenomenal.

Time for an update since I haven't done so for far too long!

Stretch goals achieved since the Kitsune-

And that is where we are at currently! What a truckload of stuff!